Author Topic: My 84yo mom used the word "colored", I must make a public apology..  (Read 1859 times)

Offline terry

Omaha Steve  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Feb-19-09 07:38 PM
Original message
Apology for a term, but see what my 84 year old mom said today about our President

Advertisements [?]

My mom was taken to emergency by rescue squad last night. She has lived alone since dad died in 94. In the hospital today she used the word colored about one of the rescue personnel. Even though I was raised in a non minority neighborhood, I was not ever taught anything racist. To my mom it is just a word she has never updated from her generations vocabulary.

Later while we talked waiting for a wheelchair to take her down downstairs she said this. "President Obama is doing a great job!". Yes she is a life long Democrat. But she is bombarded with right wing slant in ALL her social groups. We are a very red state after all. Anyway, I was so proud of what she said even while her mind was clouded with pain killers.

She is doing fine at home. She has a lengthy test to take next Monday. I'll be kind of quiet for me for the next week to 10 days because of a heavy personal schedule of assorted things.

OS

What a disrespectful moron. 

I can't even imagine. 
link

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: My 84yo mom used the word "colored", I must make a public apology..
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »
In my lifetime there have been several terms that were considered appropriate to describe a person as it related to their race.
They have all been relegated to being "racist" as the need for that arose.

It is a farce.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »
What does NAACP stand for again?

:whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
What a disrespectful moron.

You're being way too polite.  This idiot starts a thread just so he can belittle his mother.  He's trash.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:29:16 AM »
Belittle his SICK, ELDERLY mother.  Oh well, Zero threw his white grandma under the bus, so why can't we all?   Notice how he thinks everyone is going to miss him so mcuh while he's attending to personal business.  The world doesn't revolve around you, Omaha. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 11:24:51 AM »

..any thing they can get their hands on.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »
I always assumed "people of color" were by definition colored.  It's like calling a member of the group "people of blue-eyes" blue-eyed.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
So what are white people?

Tanslucent?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »

Tanslucent?
No, they're   Eeeeeeviiiiiiiil. [/DUmmie mode]
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:56:23 AM »
My 90 year old grandmother says "colored" too. She's got bi-racial great grandchildren who completely adore her. Nobody cares if she uses words that were considered polite for her generation. We're all just grateful she's sharp as a tack and healthy. I can't imagine all the history my family would've lost without the stories she tells about her life. She's the wisest person I know. I can't imagine letting a word or two get in the way of our relationship. She practically raised me and I'm the better for it. I wouldn't have known what "normal" was if I didn't have her and Pa.

I don't know whether his aim is to prove how tolerant he is of someone so backwards he, or how long suffering he is for having to put up with someone who embarrasses him in public. It's his own inability to see beyond his fear of being seen as a politically incorrect hick. Because he's with a sweet little old lady who uses a perfectly decent but out of style word, he seems more worried about what people think of HIM than the health of his mother. With sons like that who needs muggers? That stupid asshole owes his mother a public apology.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »

That's the first thing I thought of, too.   :cheersmate:  What complete morons.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 12:14:52 PM »

Tanslucent?

"Whities" or "crackers."

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:20:47 PM »

Tanslucent?

Close...

Idiots who are working to pay for the stimulus package.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jukin

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
Jukin never has and never will call them afro-Americans.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »
Omaha Steve is just being silly, and he knows it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:53:40 PM »
Omaha Steve is just being silly, and he knows it.

I was just thinking the same thing . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 01:08:34 PM »
My 90 year old grandmother says "colored" too. She's got bi-racial great grandchildren who completely adore her. Nobody cares if she uses words that were considered polite for her generation. We're all just grateful she's sharp as a tack and healthy. I can't imagine all the history my family would've lost without the stories she tells about her life. She's the wisest person I know. I can't imagine letting a word or two get in the way of our relationship. She practically raised me and I'm the better for it. I wouldn't have known what "normal" was if I didn't have her and Pa.

I don't know whether his aim is to prove how tolerant he is of someone so backwards he, or how long suffering he is for having to put up with someone who embarrasses him in public. It's his own inability to see beyond his fear of being seen as a politically incorrect hick. Because he's with a sweet little old lady who uses a perfectly decent but out of style word, he seems more worried about what people think of HIM than the health of his mother. With sons like that who needs muggers? That stupid asshole owes his mother a public apology.

Cindie

I think he needs a public BEATING!

I'm up for it.

I lost my "Nana" 2 years ago, she was 96! Grandpa has been gone almost 15. I miss them both immensely! Their knowledge of history evidently cannot be replaced, unless through those of us willing to share it.

It is certain the schools have stopped teaching it in favor of the liberal's idea of history.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
I have an uncle who (bless his heart) refers to all people of African ancestry with the "N" word, though his pronunciation is not the common one most of us know.  To him, it's not a term of degradation, it's just a word for a particular race of people.  He would tell you that if that term offends you, that's your choice.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 05:53:54 PM »
I think he needs a public BEATING!

I'm up for it.

I lost my "Nana" 2 years ago, she was 96! Grandpa has been gone almost 15. I miss them both immensely! Their knowledge of history evidently cannot be replaced, unless through those of us willing to share it.

It is certain the schools have stopped teaching it in favor of the liberal's idea of history.
Yeah, I wish I still had my grandmother...and could care less what terminology she might use.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.