Author Topic: If All European nations allowed US citizens to emigrate there, would you go?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210195805

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 12:00 PM
Yavin4 (25,196 posts)

If All European nations allowed US citizens to emigrate there, would you go?

If yes, what nation and why? For me, it would be Germany. That nation suits me.

Says someone who has probably never been there.

zipplewrath (12,089 posts)

18. UK

Except for the fact that I can't afford the cost of living there.

Ooops.

cemaphonic (3,607 posts)

20. Not unless things got much worse here.

My parents lived in Brussels for about 7 years, during my college/early adulthood, so I spent several summers there. It was a wonderful experience, and I am really grateful to have had the experience of living abroad, but one thing that I learned about myself is that even in a place like that, where the culture is recognizable and the language barrier isn't severe (I had some French, and most urban Belgians speak excellent English), I felt a bit isolated and alienated. The US, for all its shortcomings is home, and I'd rather stay and try to make things better than leave. Plus, having seen parts of Europe up close and away from the tourist itinerary, I'm a bit more aware of some of the problems and social upheaval that they deal with.

But if I were going to go, I think I would like Switzerland, Germany or Scotland.

Ooops, again.

avebury (8,572 posts)

24. Absolutely!

The US has been in decline for a while, with Trump sending the country into a total free fall. Even in the Democrats can take back some degree of control I fear that too much damage has already been done.

If you look at human history you would notice that it is inevitable for a political/ruling entity to rise up, gain control and power, peak and then go into decline while another entity rises up and assumes control. No entity will maintain control forever. The time has come for the US to secede its global authority to the next entity. I just didn't think that the US would collapse so fast but perhaps I should have considering Johan Galtung's prediction in his 2009 book.

Where I would move to would depend primarily on cost of living. I really like the UK but BREXIT and cost of living would most likely rule the UK out. Norway would be a real contender but, again cost of living would probably rule it out. I loved Portugal when I visited it years ago so that is a possibility. While not in Europe, Costa Rica is on my radar as a possible retirement location due to cost of living and weather.

Leaving for work in 20 degree weather today has me thinking that I really need to work on downsizing my stuff and researching retirement locations for down the road in a few years.

Think this one is on welfare?  Yeah, me too.

DFW (26,960 posts)

41. They DO allow US citizens to emigrate here. They do NOT have the welcome mat out.

Unemployment here is usually higher here, so they are not beckoning. Many countries have worker-unfriendly laws (they claim they're the opposite) that make it nearly impossible for an employer to fire an employee. As a result, employers are reluctant to take full-time employees on, since it is so difficult to fire them if it doesn't work out. As a result, cruel part-time "trial" arrangements just get extended for six-month periods on end. You really have to prove yourself before getting a permanent position.

If you don't work for a European employer, then getting health insurance is complicated in many countries. When I moved to Germany, I went to a well-recommended insurance company for a quote. I filled out the health history, and due to my pre-exisiting condition, they quoted me €2500 a month. That is €30,000 ($37,000) a year. Kinda steep.

Language: yes, everyone knows SOME English. But if you want to live and work here (I'm in Germany) and speak no German, you will have about as easy a time finding a job as someone looking for work in Dallas who speaks only German. Know the language of where you want to move. Learn it BEFORE you go. Period.

Unless you have some cool international position they will accept as full-time employment, get a job lined up before you attempt to move. They will put you through the ringer for a residence visa and a work visa. They did that to me, and I had a steady job, US health insurance, speak fluent German, and am married to a German citizen to boot.

Be aware of local ways. Germany controls its citizens and residents far more closely than what we are used to. They have what is called here "Polizieiliche Anmeldung." You have to register your residence with the police in the town you live in, and tell them if you move away, and when you arrive in your new town, you have to do it again, tell the where you came from, where you plan to live, etc etc. When I told my accountant Dallas all the information the German tax authorities wanted about me, he said he'd get arrested for divulging that kind of info if he revealed it to any American authority. On the other hand don't expect the cops to get really active investigating theft, violent crime or white collar crime. They are more interested in car accidents or things that involve little paperwork.

And the weather sucks.

All that having been said, if you can handle all that, learn the language to a fair degree of proficiency, and find yourself a decent place to live, you will find friends quickly, have plenty of nearby cool places to visit, and LOVE the food. It's expensive to live here, so be prepared not to be able to afford everything you want. On the other hand, hundreds of amazing places are nearby. Germany, besides having many wonderful places to visit, borders on Denmark, Poland, Czech Rep., Austria, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands. Less than a two hour flight from most anywhere in Germany to most of Ireland, the UK, Sweden, Norway, Croatia, Hungary, Spain, and Italy.

It depends on who you are and what your general nature is, of course, but I married one of the friendlier natives here (ask California Peggy, she knows), and haven't regretted it since.

So, make sure you REALLY want to to this before setting out to do it.

If not, hey, it's a nice place to visit..........

Absolutely fascinating how they all want to live in these cool far away places, yet they all talk about the expense!  LOL  They all want us to have the same things here, but they don't want to have to pay for them.

Funny thread see how they're all being forced to admit they either can't afford to go to their dream land, or they have to admit the places they think they admire are in fact, shit holes.

:lmao:

Excellent job on the OP, mole.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
/DU mode on/ But. but. but.... the gov'ts in Europe are the model for what WE want. /DU mode off/

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DLR Pyro

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 12:00 PM
Yavin4 (25,196 posts)

If All European nations allowed US citizens to emigrate there, would you go?  Who cares if they allow it or not?  Open borders, man.  Just go and be an undocumented alien

If yes, what nation and why? For me, it would be Germany. That nation suits me.  getting back to your nazi roots?

:fuelfire:
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
I would think that the DUmmies would be more drawn to the ole' USSR.  Free health care!

:-)
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline DumbAss Tanker

DFW's rundown on Germany is more or less correct, except he left out that you have to take a language proficiency exam to get and keep a resident visa...and if your German isn't good enough, you'll have to take the classes necessary to bring it up to snuff.  There's a lot of regional variation, too, and urban living is a lot different than small-town or semi-rural living (There really isn't rural living the way we know it). 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
DFW's rundown on Germany is more or less correct, except he left out that you have to take a language proficiency exam to get and keep a resident visa...and if your German isn't good enough, you'll have to take the classes necessary to bring it up to snuff.  There's a lot of regional variation, too, and urban living is a lot different than small-town or semi-rural living (There really isn't rural living the way we know it).

And yet the DUmmies like to think we have the most restrictive, draconian, immigration policies on the planet.  Not to mention when they get down to talking about their Utopian civilizations, they're not what they lay them out to be.  You start finding out that we do indeed, live in the freest nation in the world.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

I'm surprised his deluge of freezing cold reality hasn't been hidden for bursting DU-folks' fantasies. I suppose the fact that he's speaking of years of personal experience and observation might have protected him.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Language: yes, everyone knows SOME English. But if you want to live and work here (I'm in Germany) and speak no German, you will have about as easy a time finding a job as someone looking for work in Dallas who speaks only German. Know the language of where you want to move. Learn it BEFORE you go. Period.

I particularly liked this little part in DFW's post.  The DUmmies go absolutely ape shit crazy anytime someone suggests we should have English as our official language, but they'll gladly move to Germany where it is required you learn their language.

Hell, voting ballots around here have to be printed in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese.  We pay extra money to accommodate people who absolutely refuse to learn our language.

KC

*Stolen

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Great Idea! Move to Europe so you can be subjugated by the Muslims that are already there.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Delmar

cemaphonic (3,607 posts)

20. Not unless things got much worse here.

Between the tax cuts and the Trump theocracy, I thought it was already armageddon + handmaids tale + shithole x 1000.  How much worse does it have to get?
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Between the tax cuts and the Trump theocracy, I thought it was already armageddon + handmaids tale + shithole x 1000.  How much worse does it have to get?

And all those millions who have died...
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Karin

They don't want you , DUmmies.  They only take refugees.  From shithole countries.  This is fact.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse

I suspect the "immagrants" from shithole countries get a "bye" ìn that requirement.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Once again Marc reveals what leftism does to a country and then wishes that hell on the USA.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
It is worse, you forgot all the damage ending net neutrality caused.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline DUmpsterDiver

As effing extreme and stupid as the DUmmys are, we have the same on the (far?) other side at FReetards ...

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/3630305/posts
Muslims aren’t the problem. Atheists/secularists are.
5 posted on 2/7/2018, 9:00:51 PM by nickcarraway

No, you FReetard, islam, democrats and FReetards like you are the effing problem.  WTFU dipfecal.

Offline SVPete

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/3630305/posts
Muslims aren’t the problem. Atheists/secularists are.
5 posted on 2/7/2018, 9:00:51 PM by nickcarraway

:o The mass killers in San Bernardino and Orlando were "Atheists/secularists"? :o  ::) I didn't know that. ::)
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Better yet move to central or south america. you can get a few acres of jungle cheap. clear it and build a nice eco friendly, sustainable mud hut for you and your family.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline zeitgeist

Better yet move to central or south america. you can get a few acres of jungle cheap. clear it and build a nice eco friendly, sustainable mud hut for you and your family.

Jones Town, Guyana is a lovely liberal mecca so I heard.  Ditto all of Venezuela.  Or if it is a tropical paradise one's looking for Cuba or Haiti beckons. 

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
They decry the US but fail to see the the Greatness we have compared to the rest of the world.

Hey DUmmies.............. :bird:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Why are they asking if they were "allowed" to?  Just move there, and demand all the benefits of a citizen of those countries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I lived in Germany as a US soldier from 1979 to 1994, with a brief 9-month side trip to Ft. Hood thrown in in 1982. Thought about retiring there, but that didn't pan out.

I hadn't heard about the German language proficiency exam to maintain a residency visa until now - it must be a relatively new thing. (Backlash for the Muslim and East European invasion post-Reunification?)

My then-wife and I used both languages at home, and I had passed the DLI language exam in German enough for the language identifier, so if that requirement had existed then I wouldn't have had any trouble.

But yeah -- imagine the uproar if a similar requirement existed here.

The DUmmies and their Utopia..... :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.