Author Topic: primitives squibble-squabble about healthy diets  (Read 1675 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives squibble-squabble about healthy diets
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=222x60667

Oh my.

villager  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 06:45 PM
Original message

American diets getting worse

Eat your vegetables. Exercise. Don't drink so much beer. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Even fewer Americans in their middle and later years adhere to this healthy lifestyle advice than they did two decades ago.

Despite the well-known benefits of a lifestyle that includes physical activity, eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables, maintaining a healthy weight, moderate alcohol use and not smoking, only a small proportion of older adults follow this healthy lifestyle pattern, a new survey finds.

In fact, the numbers of those who do are declining, even though it's medically clear that positive lifestyle choices are associated with reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease as well as diabetes.

The number of people adhering to five healthy habits (exercising 12 times a month or more, not smoking, eating five or more fruits and vegetables daily, moderate alcohol use and maintaining healthy weight) has decreased from 15 percent to 8 percent between the period 1988-1994 and then 2001-2006. The results come from a comparison by investigators from the Medical University of South Carolina of results from two large-scale studies of the U.S. population.

<snip>

http://www.livescience.com/health/090527-healthy-lifest...

The boring primitive:

Taverner  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 06:48 PM
Response to Original message

1. That's because more of us are getting laid off

Healthy diets are expensive

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 06:50 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. bull

it just takes a little effort. to cook stuff from scratch, etc.

healthy PREPARED foods are generally more expensive than junk.

healthy staples are quite cheap.

Taverner  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 06:51 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I cook from scratch, you cook from scratch

But take the masses who don't have the time you and I have....

Just a thought...

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 06:52 PM
Response to Reply #4

6. consider the average amount of time the "masses" spend watching tv.

Taverner  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 07:12 PM
Response to Reply #6

7. And they watch TV while they work

The boring primitive should perhaps think about it; maybe that's why they're unemployed, maybe that's why they don't fix good food from scratch.

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 07:31 PM
Response to Reply #7

8. look, the reality is it's laziness and habit and lack of willpower that causes people to eat crap. not necessity.

there are all sorts of healthy meals you can prepare in next to no time, and for cheap.

tuna fish, especially when it goes on sale (in water) is very cheap.

an apple, a tuna fish sandwich, and glass of milk is damn healthy.

and takes about 5 minutes to make.

use nonfat dry milk and it's WAY cheaper.

people make their choices, and people live with their results.

in the case of persistently bad diet choices, the results are significantly diminished health and quality of life.

Serial Mom  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 07:45 PM
Response to Reply #8

14. But, somebody should/has to TEACH people this!

That is what has been ignored in past 5 decades or so.... prepared foods have been PUSHED on people by the food industry and the CHEMICAL industry that made prepared foods cheaper to make and to stay on food shelves longer! Along with the chemicals to make foods sweeter (high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, etc.) for a lot less cost etc.

It's because the primitives demand cheap food.  Cheap food demands chemicals.

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 07:55 PM
Response to Reply #14

15. i don't deny that

but fwiw, the information is out there. MOST people know (to lesser or greater extents) that the crap they eat is not good for them.

they choose to ignore it.

for those that CHOOSE to empower themselves, the information is out there.

the internet. heck, cable tv has metric assloads of programs on healthy eating (food channel has some really good ones). books are often found. for FREE. imagine that. at the library.

my friend's church, for instance has an excellent program to help people eat healthier. they even get together and can stuff.

also, fwiw, there have been NUMEROUS instances of the "food industry" to include mcdonald's introducing healthy(er) alternatives. many simply did not sell. i recall McD's old "McLean" burger many years ago.

heck, even wendy's has a healthy alternative. their chili is quite nutritious - high fiber, low fat.

the food industry is rightly in the business to outperform their competitives. some in the food industry have consistently offered healthy choices, others have purveyed crap. it's up to the consumer to make their choices.

nobody shoves food down people's throats. they are the locus of control, and they live with the results

fair trade soy chai (34 posts)      Thu May-28-09 08:38 PM
Response to Reply #14

18. I agree with you, but many adults are deaf to reason...

It's really an addiction--bad eating habits. And people feel threated if they think they won't be able to indulge anymore. They don't realize that there are better ways of eating.

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 09:40 PM
Response to Reply #18

20. i used to be a personal trainer

i told people straight out that making change is going to be, to some extent, UNCOMFORTABLE.

that's really the gist of it. if people are not willing to go through some discomfort, they are not going to change.

making incremental changes helps (not overwhelming), and seeing positive changes.

the nice thing is that once eating right becomes a HABIT, it is almost as automatic as bad eating.

i am probably more anal than 99% of people in regards to what i eat, because i eat for performance.

fair trade soy chai (34 posts)      Thu May-28-09 08:36 PM
Response to Reply #7

17. Really? Everyone who watches the boob tube is hard at work, too?

It's cool if you want to eat a certain way, but your excuses are lamola! And those who invest in excuses tend to be very fatalistic about life; they just don't think they can do anything and that is wrong as it can be. You do have power but you have to make the effort. Start small.

Taverner  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 09:45 PM
Response to Reply #17

21. I actually eat pretty healthy

I am in great health, physically. Emotionally in mentally - whole DIFFERENT story....

But I understand what its like to be poor, and not be able to afford good nutrition.

The boring primitive also understands what it's like to be boring.

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 09:50 PM
Response to Reply #21

23. i also understand what it means to be poor. i've been there too. i still ate healthy. they are NOT mutually exclusive. lots of poor people DO eat healthy.

people could learn from some immigrant communities, where healthy cheap food knowledge is passed down and overrides the easy 'buy the tater tots" mentality.

Taverner  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 09:55 PM
Response to Reply #23

24. But just because you can doesn't mean you will...

Especially if time is of the essence...

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 10:03 PM
Response to Reply #24

25. and it's still YOUR choice

which is my point.

people make their choices, and people reap the rewards or the consequences.

that's all i'm saying.

there are very things in life we have MORE control over than what we eat.

when i was poor, i CHOSE to eat healthy. it was my choice, and it's that simple.

fwiw, i had one of the best meals of my LIFE today.

just have to share.

geoduck is a frigging delicacy, but it's obscenely expensive. family member of mine spent $11 on a license to go harvest some and hit a frigging goldmine.

i sauteed it in olive oil with garlic, added some salt and pepper, sprinkled with cilantro (homegrown) and cheese.

it was frigging insane.

i have never had geoduck before. it is absolutely incredible.

having grown up on the east coast, i have eaten metric assloads of shellfish (i used to go clamming constantly), but i have never had a claim as sweet as the geoduck.

ok, sorry for the tangent. GEODUCK RULES!

What is this geographical fowl delicacy?  Never heard of it.

Why Syzygy  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 06:52 PM
Response to Reply #1

5. That's a myth.

You can actually eat better for less money.

LittleOne (118 posts)        Thu May-28-09 07:35 PM
Response to Reply #5

10. No Shit

Dinner of 4 oz of ground lean turkey, fruit smoothie, handful of radishes and bowl of salad cost less than $2.00. I keep a bowl of salad in the fridge and the smoothie was left over from breakfast. Dinner took me less than 10 minutes to make.

And I did it while watching a movie online and surfing DU.

Taverner  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 07:37 PM
Response to Reply #10

11. Do it everyday for a year

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 07:41 PM
Response to Reply #11

13. there are LOTS of ways to eat healthy and cheap. he gave one example.

you also do not always have to eat healthy. i eat occasional big macs, etc. i still maintain (as a competitive athlete) sub 12% bodyfat and a good lipid profile (and at 40+ years of age.

what is important is that your diet is primarily comprised of healthy, clean foods.

LittleOne (118 posts)        Thu May-28-09 08:16 PM
Response to Reply #11

16. LOL

I don't have too. I have a ton of recipes to choose from. Good and cheap is easy if you just do a little research.

And I am 44 with a rocking little bod full of energy.

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 06:49 PM

2. it's frigging disgusting

there are few things in our lives that we have more control over than what we choose to eat.

every frigging time you cook, or buy some food, you exercise your free will in a decision that (taken in aggregate) will have PROFOUND influence on your health, your quality of life, etc.

for most people, it's a far more important issue than health insurance, genetics, etc. and completely within their control.

it's not frigging rocket science. and it makes a tremendous difference in longevity, health, vitality, immune system strength, resistance to disease, body composition, mood, etc.

eilen  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 07:32 PM

9. Mostly people eat too much food

people have long held habits and they aren't going to change overnight. over-processed foods have to just be phased out. Pound for pound, healthy food is more expensive if you consume clean organic food in the same proportions as junk food. Grass fed meats and cheeses cost about twice as much. Organic food costs more. This is all true.

However, if you scale back the super size portions, (which you should do), the costs even out. That doesn't even account for the bonus of less health problems. Most would lose about 20 lbs if keeping to the USDA portions for a healthy diet which would put a good percentage under the category of "diet controlled diabetic" rather than "insulin depenent diabetic."

That and walking...

Honestly, soda actually costs less than spring water in some stores.

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 07:40 PM
Response to Reply #9

12. in re: organic

i have yet to see ONE peer reviewed study that shows that organic food is healthier (and certainly not when you consider the cost) than non-organic.

we were talking health here, not "organics"

you do not need to consume "clean, organic" food to eat healthy food.

i am a nationally competitive athlete. i know that it takes effort (god forbid) to eat healthy. i'll eat crap sometime. not a problem. it's when people's diet revolves around crap and they eat crap to the EXCLUSION of good food, that it creates a problem.

you are correct that many people literally eat themselves into diabetes (not to mention obesity, hypertension, etc.)

salvorhardin  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 09:15 PM

19. Nice to see so many posters claiming the moral high ground

I guess the phrase "walk a mile in their shoes" is considered superfluous these days.

If you live in a nice suburb, if you have the money, if you aren't working three jobs, if you have the education, and yes, if you value eating healthily, then it's easy, and often more affordable, to eat a healthy balanced diet.

But that's increasingly not the case, especially in urban and rural areas. See the thread I started on food deserts for fresh fodder for your self-righteousness.

Anybody know if the El Salvador primitive is fat?

paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 09:48 PM
Response to Reply #19

22. i haven't seen people make moral claims in this thread. maybe i missed something. what i do see is people RIGHTLY saying that the locus of control is the individual. nobody is forcing people to eat crap. they are making the decision.

i have been poor. and i have worked in the hood, and seen different people's eating habits.

the difference is staggering. go to a grocery store in a poor neighborhood and look at some of the food people stuff in their cart. that is a RELATIVELY new phenomenon. people have lost connection with their roots, their ancestor's habits. personally, my grandmother taught me to cook, and to appreciate food. that has stayed with me throughout my life.

i literally watched one (obese) person stuff a half dozen items in their cart and NONE of them were remotely "food". it was all processed food products. nothing stopping him from buying the huge bulk bag of brown rice, and some beef bones and making a healthy and cheap soup.

i noticed, for instance, that many very poor immigrants otoh still ate healthily. because they had always done so, eating basic "peasant food" that is actually quite nutritious - whole grains, and less refined food. at the same grocery stores the obese people were going to. but they were making intelligent food choices.

i spend 40-60 hrs a week in a police cruiser. i could very easily just constantly eat fast food crap. it takes some effort to pre-cook meals (you can cook a WEEK's worth of meals in a couple of hours and be set for the week).

but it's WORTH it.

i know a lot of bodybuilders who do this. they set aside a few hours on a sunday, sometimes even get together with friends, and prepare some nutritious soup, some protein bars, stuff like that.

LittleOne (118 posts)        Fri May-29-09 09:29 AM
Response to Reply #22

26. Exactly

I live in the hood. I go to the hood grocery and I see what people put in their carts.

A 12-pack of soda represents my soy protein for the week. Pork chops on sale? Guess what I am eating this week. Chips and Little Debbie snack Cakes represents the crap I won't buy so the dog eats.

I am currently trying to make a go of it myself so my income is zip. I eat healthily because I can't afford to do otherwise. Two weeks groceries cost me less than $50.00. That puts me below food stamp levels.

It is a lack of education combined with slick marketing.

It's also a lack of willpower.  Look at the gigantic primitive, for one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: primitives squibble-squabble about healthy diets
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:10 AM »
at the beginning ..

people eat badly cuz they are unemployed and don't have time to cook??

did I read that wrong?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »
at the beginning ..

people eat badly cuz they are unemployed and don't have time to cook??

did I read that wrong?

No, your reading comprehension is fine, 100%.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:08:08 AM »

and GM is bankrupt because they didn't pay enough to the UAW?

what is up with the DUmmies today?? The need to stop digging the stoopid hole, cuz there ain't no other side

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:20:30 AM »
Taverner  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 06:48 PM

1. That's because more of us are getting laid off

Healthy diets are expensive
Dear Leader says preventative healthcare--of which a proper diet is a substantial part--reduces overall healthcare costs and if we don't reduce healthcare costs by dictat the country will be bankrupted.

You aren't defying Dear Leader, are you?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »
Frank, the geoduck is a clam found in Maine, pronounced "gooey-duck."  It's a monstrosity to look at, extremely large with a big neck piece hanging out of the shell, about the size of a body-builder's forearm, say.  Hideous.  I suppose you would slice it up into palatable pieces and stick it in your chowder, I can't attest to what Paulsby's saying about how great it is, I couldn't get past the name and appearance, when I lived in that state.  Much less manhandling the beast to pry it open.  Yuck. 

My, the primitives loooove to argue about this subject don't they?  It's a combination of feeling of moral superiority and defensive guilt. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:52:41 AM »
Frank, the geoduck is a clam found in Maine, pronounced "gooey-duck."  It's a monstrosity to look at, extremely large with a big neck piece hanging out of the shell, about the size of a body-builder's forearm, say.  Hideous.

So, it's not a geographic waterfowl, but a clam?

Damn, the gross stuff some people eat.

And I thought onions are bad.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »

Yeah, it's a big clam that looks like a......well.....just Google the episode of "Dirty Jobs" where they went harvesting the damn things. It's on YouTube.

The bit where he takes them to a restaurant to be prepared is laugh-your-ass-off funny.

If someone more computer savvy than me could stick any of the YouTube clips on this thread, it would be appreciated.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »

I agree with you on regular white onions.  Have you ever tried Mayan onions?  They are actually sweet.  They are seasonal though.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »

Geoduck (Panopea abrupta)

I'm not gonna say what they look like to me... :evillaugh:
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »
I'm not gonna say what they look like to me... :evillaugh:

It looks like a couple of arms and hands offering someone a rock, to me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »
yawn..here we go again.

Expensive eh? Kroger has their tomatoes on the vine on sale for .99 a lb. I found mgr special lettuce, the good kind that keeps well in the hard container, organic, mixed baby greens(usually lasts me for about 4 or 5 salads) for 1.75--the regular, already washed and chopped up lettuce is .99 a bag--a head of lettuce is a few cents cheaper. If you watch sales you can get chicken fairly cheap too--always have manager's specials on meats as well. Get some rice, oatmeal, potatoes, beans, and some of the sale fresh/frozen veggies. 30 bucks for a single person could easily feed them well and healthy for about 2 weeks. Throw another 10 bucks in the pot and you could add a little more meat variety. I find it far cheaper then loading up on chips, pop, ice cream, etc when the holidays roll in and I buy more of that crap. Throw a few bucks each week to work up a store and the primitives could actually MAKE cookies and cakes themselves and have a whole lot more for a whole lot less if they wanted to eat the sugary things and they probably taste a heck of a lot better.

What I find ironic is that less people are willing to adhere to a healthy diet, but expect more people to pick up the tab of the consequences of that via nationalized healthcare. I suppose it's too much effort to eat right and take the occasional walk so one's healthcare expenses, barring catastrophic circumstances, are outrageous. I could see picking up catastrophic or chronic incidents if one is willing to adhere to a healthy diet and exercise, but I can not see funding the masses for adult onset diabetes, heart disease, joint diseases, and failures of all kinds that are the result of living poorly(and not in the monetary sense).

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 03:51:12 PM »
Onions?  I couldn't live without onions!  I had a bf once who hated onions, so I knew that he would never be my happily ever after.

My guess is the first man who ate a geoduck was one hungry SOB.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »
Serial Mom  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 07:45 PM
Response to Reply #8

14. But, somebody should/has to TEACH people this!

That is what has been ignored in past 5 decades or so.... prepared foods have been PUSHED on people by the food industry and the CHEMICAL industry that made prepared foods cheaper to make and to stay on food shelves longer! Along with the chemicals to make foods sweeter (high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, etc.) for a lot less cost etc.

Rubbish! You liberals have indulged your uneducated masses in 'free food' so long, they have given in to the convenience that 'their' money buys them ie they've become as lazy a rich housewife. Plenty of the poor who don't seem to be able to cook from scratch now, managed to make their own meals from scratch years earlier when they actually had to budget their OWN money or were forced to buy only staples instead of all sorts of convenience foods with the assistance they get(and guess what a lot of those, mostly women, managed to do it without the modern conveniences like electric stoves, dishwashers, microwaves, etc). You want to make it better for the poor? Tighten up the restrictions, much like what is on WIC, on assistance food $$. Stop allowing pop,cookies, and even store prepared foods to be bought with it. Stop feeling sorry for people having to put some effort forth and encourage it. Are the poor too stupid to understand how to plan and prepare foods ahead of time so they can work around busy schedules? So they have something in the fridge ready to go to pop in the microwave for a few minutes when they get home? For the poor being so noble, liberals sure paint them out to be a bunch of hopeless yokles.

Understand I use the term 'poor' in quotes.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »
Onions?  I couldn't live without onions!  I had a bf once who hated onions, so I knew that he would never be my happily ever after.

My guess is the first man who ate a geoduck was one hungry SOB.

I should have used the 'onion rule' too.  :-)

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »
I say the more preservatives the better!  If said preservatives preserve food, they surely do the same in our bodies, right?   :sarcasm:

In my house, we eat some healthy and some unhealthy - just enough to keep us happy.  Besides, I don't want to miss out on the stuff that tastes really good but might be considered somewhat unhealthy just so I can live to be 95 instead of 85. 

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »

Lot's and lot's of excuses and when they don't fly, they come up with more.  :thatsright:

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »

As usual, DUmmies are "smart" enough to figure out who makes every atom used in any product sold on Limbaugh's show so they can boycott it, but they're absolutely powerless slaves to junk food makers.

As I see it, the real problem with liberals eating a healthy diet is that the vast majority of them will only do something good for them if they can be observed doing so. A DUmmy does not want to be the only one buying only healthy food from a grocery chain. What a DUmmy wants is to pad around Whole Foods in $225 Ecco sandals, exchanging admiring glances with other totally with-it lefties dressed in the best Columbia gear possible, with keys to a brand new Prius or Subaru Forester in their pocket. They want to cast critical eyes on the most expensive, fair-trade organic produce possible, being sure to pick at least one thing that indicates gustatory sophistry that no one can match.

When DUmmies complain about the high cost of eating well, THAT'S what they mean. What is more practical, of course, is to get off the high horse and walk into an HEB, Kroger, Albertsons, Vons, Ralphs, SuperValu, or what have you and shop for wholesome foods among the rabble who "poison" their bodies with cookies, cakes, and crackers. They don't WANT to buy sacks of dried beans, long grain rice, and ordinary vegetables. They don't want to do it because no one there can appreciate how HIP they are, and they also don't want to do it because the temptation is too great to buy donuts and cookies and all the other shit they claim to be better than.

They're full of shit, as always. They can boycott Monsanto because one of their products was used in a product that was used in another product that killed some kid in Peru, but they can't boycott Frito Lay. Right.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 06:58:19 PM »

As usual, DUmmies are "smart" enough to figure out who makes every atom used in any product sold on Limbaugh's show so they can boycott it, but they're absolutely powerless slaves to junk food makers.

As I see it, the real problem with liberals eating a healthy diet is that the vast majority of them will only do something good for them if they can be observed doing so. A DUmmy does not want to be the only one buying only healthy food from a grocery chain. What a DUmmy wants is to pad around Whole Foods in $225 Ecco sandals, exchanging admiring glances with other totally with-it lefties dressed in the best Columbia gear possible, with keys to a brand new Prius or Subaru Forester in their pocket. They want to cast critical eyes on the most expensive, fair-trade organic produce possible, being sure to pick at least one thing that indicates gustatory sophistry that no one can match.

When DUmmies complain about the high cost of eating well, THAT'S what they mean. What is more practical, of course, is to get off the high horse and walk into an HEB, Kroger, Albertsons, Vons, Ralphs, SuperValu, or what have you and shop for wholesome foods among the rabble who "poison" their bodies with cookies, cakes, and crackers. They don't WANT to buy sacks of dried beans, long grain rice, and ordinary vegetables. They don't want to do it because no one there can appreciate how HIP they are, and they also don't want to do it because the temptation is too great to buy donuts and cookies and all the other shit they claim to be better than.

They're full of shit, as always. They can boycott Monsanto because one of their products was used in a product that was used in another product that killed some kid in Peru, but they can't boycott Frito Lay. Right.

Bravo! I think you are dead on!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 08:47:50 PM »
paulsby (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 09:40 PM

i used to be a personal trainer

Then paulsby says:

i am a nationally competitive athlete.

Then paulsby says:

i spend 40-60 hrs a week in a police cruiser.

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 03:12:56 AM »
Rob, I noticed the same thing! I was wondering if he had TiT syndrome or was a multi-tasker.

Frank, I don't eat mussels or clams, but my hubby does, and he says the geoduck is fantastic. I have seen them many times, and when their appendage is out waving around, it does indeed look like a semi-erect/erect penis. Very funny looking! I personally wouldn't eat it 'cause I don't like "squishy" looking foods. I have eaten escargot and that did it for me. They are expensive if you don't live near an area with them, but not staggering "kobe beef" expensive. Everything is relative. I have only one bad eating habit, and that is soft drinks. I desperately need to give them up, I know they are responsible for some of that extra weight I carry, but I do love them! And, at 43, shouldn't we at least be able to enjoy SOMETHING?
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 11:04:21 AM »
I always think it's funny when healthy diets come up, because to DUmmies that is synonymous with "organic". "Organic" produce is nearly as big a scam as global warming. My best recollection is that it came up in the '70s, around the time the pinheads were in a panic over Alar coloring in apples. Of course, Alar was subsequently found to be about as poisonous as mothers milk, but the damage was done. Some smart agribusiness guys realized there was a whole segment of the population that would be dumb enough to pay vastly higher prices for misshapen, bug-eaten, scrawny produce and tough, stringy meat, that was actually cheaper to grow. Of course, it also provides a high profit outlet for the scrawny portion of the regular crop, as well. Anyone who believes there is a difference between a $0.69/lb. banana and a $1.49/lb. "organic" banana has the brain of a banana.

In the grocery store, the only scam bigger than the "organic" industry is bottled water.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »

Then paulsby says:

i am a nationally competitive athlete.

Then paulsby says:

i spend 40-60 hrs a week in a police cruiser.

I don't know about this DUmmie but people can have full time jobs and still be competitive athletes. There are amateur competitive national sports leagues for adults just as there are for youth. Amateurs compete in bodybuilding & martial arts competitions, triatthalons, marathons, etc. One can be passionate about a sport and still work full time...even overtime.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams