Author Topic: How fast could Romney turn the economy around?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
How fast could Romney turn the economy around?
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
Just a curiosity question I have after reading this article:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/06/the_clintons_covert_war_on_obama.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

They say Hillary will run in 2016 because no way can Romney turn the economy around in 4 years. I would think he could make enough of a difference, am I wrong?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
Re: How fast could Romney turn the economy around?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
Just him getting elected will fix the morale of everyone

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
Just him getting elected will fix the morale of everyone

Public and corporate sentiment has a lot to do with the economy. 

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
Uncertainty, Obamacare and the threat of new taxes is creating an anti-business climate. On day one, Romney could do many things without legislation such as an announcement of the removable of onerous regulations on business, selling of offshore drilling leases, etc. He could propose that Congress should lower taxes on business. A reversal of Obama's policies would spur growth, and business would be more inclined to spend the 2 trillion it is hoarding on new products and new hires. In a matter of a few months, the economy could turn around.   

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
He has some big problems ie: entrenched bureaucracy, Senate filibusters (unless we get a miracle) & the press.  But there is a shitload (technical financial term) of money on the sidelines waiting for any ray of hope.  Hope he is studying old Reagan speeches.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »
He has some big problems ie: entrenched bureaucracy, Senate filibusters (unless we get a miracle) & the press.  But there is a shitload (technical financial term) of money on the sidelines waiting for any ray of hope.  Hope he is studying old Reagan speeches.

As POTUS, Romney would be able to direct the bureaucracy's to unentrench themselves. Any bureaucrats unwilling to do so could be shown the door after being written up enough.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
As POTUS, Romney would be able to direct the bureaucracy's to unentrench themselves. Any bureaucrats unwilling to do so could be shown the door after being written up enough.

Were it that easy.  When I was in the 2nd Armored Div., we had a new G-3 coming in (Col John Borgman) who was famous (literally) for getting 2 - two DOD civillians fired in DC.  It took him, a full Col., about two years.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
How fast could Romney turn the economy around?

Romney is on record in saying that he thinks his policies can get the unemployment rate down into the 6.0% - 6.5% region in his first term.

That sounds to me like somebody who understands just how bad the damage the SCOAMF in Chief has done to this country.  I expect he's probably poor mouthing what he thinks will happen, if only so that any surprises are good ones.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
Were it that easy.  When I was in the 2nd Armored Div., we had a new G-3 coming in (Col John Borgman) who was famous (literally) for getting 2 - two DOD civillians fired in DC.  It took him, a full Col., about two years.

I've talked to NCO's who got half that number fired merely by correlating sick days with the local basketball team's schedule, with plentiful counseling of those activities.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
Thanks guys, everything you posted sounds good to me.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
Let's not forget that if a Republican sweep of everything in November happens, the Dems are going to fight, obfuscate, drag their feet, and otherwise pull every trick in the book to keep a Romney agenda from moving forward.

Unless, of course, it's associated with keeping Obamacare intact, or even somewhat intact.

I don't trust the Dems to do the right thing, but if you think I trust Romney, better think again.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »

Haven't the Dems set the precedent that ANYTHING that touches on appropriations or taxation can be tied to budget reconciliation now to circumvent a filibuster? I want to see our people doing the same if we have both chambers!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
Let's not forget that if a Republican sweep of everything in November happens, the Dems are going to fight, obfuscate, drag their feet, and otherwise pull every trick in the book to keep a Romney agenda from moving forward.

Unless, of course, it's associated with keeping Obamacare intact, or even somewhat intact.

I don't trust the Dems to do the right thing, but if you think I trust Romney, better think again.

Then let's hope the republicans make good on Reid's promise to end the filibuster, and to use the DemonRats own actions against them.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
Then let's hope the republicans make good on Reid's promise to end the filibuster, and to use the DemonRats own actions against them.

They have been talking about ending the filibuster for a long time.  But when it gets right down to it, they can't bring themselves to do it. Up until now, they could usually could scrounge (bribe) a few votes from the other side to get stuff done. With the polarization we have now I guess they might just do it.  I can't see Reid doing it though, as he couldn't get anything through the house in the foreseeable future.

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »
They have been talking about ending the filibuster for a long time.  But when it gets right down to it, they can't bring themselves to do it. Up until now, they could usually could scrounge (bribe) a few votes from the other side to get stuff done. With the polarization we have now I guess they might just do it.  I can't see Reid doing it though, as he couldn't get anything through the house in the foreseeable future.

The Dems did Obamacare on reconciliation. Personally I want the Senate to keep the filibuster, but for significantly budget-related items, even those that set up new agencies with new substantive tasks and agendas, the Dems have set the precedent for using reconciliation so a simple majority works, which means we can still keep the filibuster.

If nothing else, though, repeal of Obamacre can be done on reconciliation (if repeal is needed after we hear from the SCOTUS) and the Dems can screech all they like and our side can say "So? Remember how YOU did it?" Plus of course we'd have the majority of the American electorate on our side.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:36 AM »

And yet we're labeled the "party of no."

Sadly, it's going to get worse before it gets better--and that same sentiment is why the economy is sputtering instead of roaring ahead.  This is, for all intents and purposes, the longest "down" economy I've seen in my existence.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 11:17:53 PM »
The Dems did Obamacare on reconciliation. Personally I want the Senate to keep the filibuster, but for significantly budget-related items, even those that set up new agencies with new substantive tasks and agendas, the Dems have set the precedent for using reconciliation so a simple majority works, which means we can still keep the filibuster.

Repubs need to apply the same set of rules regarding reconciliation that the Democraps used to pass Obamacare. I hope they have the balls to do it, and ignore the crying, moaning from liberals and the media. The Demos have opened up a can of worms with this type of legislation. The Repub majority in the House and Senate can now open up drilling in AK and offshore and the bitches in the Democ. party can not do anything about it. Let's give them a taste of their own medicine.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:24:09 PM by Lacarnut »

Offline Porfiry

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Never ever, never ever give up
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:22 AM »
First, his election would be a wind of change and would promote more economic activity.  If we get economic conservatives into the House and Senate - in particular, if R's win the Senate - the change is going to be impressive and we are going to start seeing some new hires, etc.  Right away.

Secondly, all he'd have to do is approve the Keystone pipeline and about ten states along with two industries (oil and construction) would catch fire.

Thirdly, if Obamacare is overturned or effectively unfunded, this economy is going to start to roar.

Fourth, serious tax reform (needs a decent Congress) could unleash investments and encourage spending.

Fifth, the removal of onerous regulation, particularly on coal and investment banking, would put a foundation on for a long, long term of prosperity.

It is REALLY not hard to do - it is all tried and true common sense - and my only explanation for why O doesn't do any of the above is, he wants the country to fail.
We are holding the fort in San Francisco.  Send reinforcements.

Offline TheEqualist

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I am the solution.
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
All we can do is get him elected and see what he does. The President is only one cog in the machine.

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »
All we can do is get him elected and see what he does. The President is only one cog in the machine.

Not Obama. He recognizes NO limits on his power, none at all.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
Uncertainty, Obamacare and the threat of new taxes is creating an anti-business climate. On day one, Romney could do many things without legislation such as an announcement of the removable of onerous regulations on business, selling of offshore drilling leases, etc. He could propose that Congress should lower taxes on business. A reversal of Obama's policies would spur growth, and business would be more inclined to spend the 2 trillion it is hoarding on new products and new hires. In a matter of a few months, the economy could turn around.   

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. really nothing to be added.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
Romney will turn the economy around faster than Obama will.

The DUmmies have this thing about calling Romney, "Rmoney".  I'm beginning to like that name.

Who should we trust our money with, RMoney or OweBama?

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
Every year that goes by makes Hitlary look like the portrait of Dorian Gray. My hope is, that by the time her timing for a Presidential run is best she will look like death warmed over, or worse.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 12:50:39 AM »
Every year that goes by makes Hitlary look like the portrait of Dorian Gray. My hope is, that by the time her timing for a Presidential run is best she will look like death warmed over, or worse.

Thunder thighs has not aged gracefully. Obama has run her ass ragged. I wonder if she feels like she has been used. Probably not. Liberals are just not as smart as they think they are.

Have a question! If Democrats saw that Obummer chances for reelection were slim to none, could they draft Hillary at the convention without the King withdrawing? It would certainly be entertaining to watch the cat fight.   

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 02:22:46 AM »
^That would be so awesome. To see clinnochio accused of racism by owebuma again would be priceless.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.