Author Topic: Real cause of inflation  (Read 583 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Real cause of inflation
« on: January 12, 2022, 05:41:31 PM »
Star Member TheFarseer (9,010 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216238789

Real cause of inflation

Has anyone noticed that although there is high inflation, banks are still paying next to nothing in interest? Makes me wonder if the biggest cause of inflation is the Fed printing money so banks can play the stock market, buy back their own stock and hand out huge bonuses.

It also occurs to me that Republicans (and the media) touting inflation has given cover to big companies to raise their prices and rake in record profits. Or maybe it’s a bill in Congress that hasn’t even passed  I can’t tell! Thank you for reading my off the cuff rant!

:whatever:

Star Member uponit7771 (80,677 posts)

2. K&R, biggest cause of inflation is car sales new and used then fuel prices. Both are going to be

... short term IMHO.

There are no cars to buy

:thatsright:

Star Member WHITT (2,421 posts)

7. Yep

Used cars are a full THIRD of all inflation, and given the Fed doesn't want zero inflation, but prefers 2.2%, it's actually an even larger amount of what's remaining.

The administration should have acquired a shuttered facility with a white room (I'm sure there's at least a couple), and offered X millions to whichever company would immediately start manufacturing chips. It would have already been over.

:thatsright: :thatsright:

liberal_mama (810 posts)

11. My husband works at a large car dealership. There are hardly any cars now. The lots used to be full

and now there are very few. Fortunately, he's an auto technician so he's been repairing a lot of the existing older cars. It's also challenging to get parts and chips, he said.

5. The Fed Can't "Print" Money

The only manner money can be printed is to first issue the bonds to cover the debt.

The Fed merely creates digital money. It's not inflationary as it doesn't increase the debt, and it's later destroyed, like it never happened.

Tickle (166 posts)

16. so you all beilieve

that retailers and grocery owners all at the same time decided to raise prices because republicans touted inflation? Ok. Some things I just won't argue about.

The Feds will be raising the rates soon and not just once

Star Member Emile (391 posts)

17. Two words, Predatory Capitalism!

They did the same thing to Jimmy Carter.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Real cause of inflation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 05:46:52 PM »
DUmmy Star Member TheFarseer has displayed absolutely no comprehension on pretty much anything about the economy, and also probably can't see nothing much further than his/her/its nose.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 06:57:16 PM »
looks like something significant happened in the Country near the end of Jan 2020 or the start of Feb 2020 that caused the inflation rate to shoot to the moon.  Wondering what that significant event might have been...

#LGB  #FJB

source for graph https://www.statista.com/statistics/273418/unadjusted-monthly-inflation-rate-in-the-us/
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 06:57:36 PM »

7. Yep

Used cars are a full THIRD of all inflation, and given the Fed doesn't want zero inflation, but prefers 2.2%, it's actually an even larger amount of what's remaining.

The administration should have acquired a shuttered facility with a white room (I'm sure there's at least a couple), and offered X millions to whichever company would immediately start manufacturing chips. It would have already been over.

Stupidest most ignorant thing you will read on DU all month.  :banghead:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 07:24:48 PM »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 09:54:14 PM »
 :thatsright: :thatsright:  :thatsright:

Leftists are almost as sharp as a spoon.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 07:47:05 AM »
DUmmies...always focusing somewhere other than where they should be.

Instead of trying to wrap their DUmmy brains around complex or complicated matters which they can never hope to understand, they should stick to simple matters:

Democrats = high fuel, energy, and food prices, high inflation, and social anarchy.

From carter to obama to biden, democrats are unfit to lead.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 08:13:04 AM »
From an Econ 1 prof long ago, a simple explanation of what inflation is is "Too much money chasing too few goods". Applied to current inflation:

* Some, transient, inflation is due to temporary supply chain logistics disruption, largely from key people getting Covid and having to stay home for a couple of weeks;

* Much recent inflation is from the US gooberment dumping trillions of dollars into circulation in the US without any significant corresponding increase in productivity; this inflation will be medium or long term.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 08:25:43 AM »

That is until the next new post from the DUmp.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 09:36:57 AM »

Agreed.  DUmmies have no clue what is involved in producing a chip.  It's not like a bakery making 10,000 loaves of white bread in the morning, then changing over to making 10,000 loaves of rye bread after the noon lunch break.

This video talks about the chip shortage.  From 4:30 to about 6:15 it talks about how involved a process is involved in gearing up for chip production  https://youtu.be/AeN3oQx-o68
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 09:50:40 AM »
1. It takes years to build and bring online a new fab line, and to train its staff.

2. A "shuttered facility", if there are any in the US outside of DUmmies' imagination, will have obsolete equipment to remove and dispose of, will have to be renovated to accommodate the physical infrastructure needed by modern equipment, and then new equipment installed. And, of course, staff will have to be trained.

Either way, it's a task requiring years, not the weeks DUmmies' imagine would be all that is required.

Offline 3rd-try

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 10:22:28 AM »

I think you underestimate them. I'd bet they'll say something more stupid/ignorant in the next 24 business hours.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 11:15:38 AM »
You would get more economic knowledge at the monkey exhibit at a zoo then from those mutants.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 11:39:08 AM »
You would get more economic knowledge flung at you at the monkey exhibit at a zoo then from those mutants.

Clarification.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 01:17:39 PM »
I see the term “quantitative easing” has never penetrated their protected world. We’ve know for years that all the money the Fed has been pumping into the market over the past decade would finally end. Artificially introduce capital into the system rather than let it be created naturally and eventually it’s going to water down the money supply. This has never been a secret.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline jukin

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 06:37:45 PM »
You would get more economic knowledge at the monkey exhibit at a zoo then from those mutants.

What more can be added after this?

:hi5:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 01:04:44 PM »
1. It takes years to build and bring online a new fab line, and to train its staff.

2. A "shuttered facility", if there are any in the US outside of DUmmies' imagination, will have obsolete equipment to remove and dispose of, will have to be renovated to accommodate the physical infrastructure needed by modern equipment, and then new equipment installed. And, of course, staff will have to be trained.

Either way, it's a task requiring years, not the weeks DUmmies' imagine would be all that is required.
The American lighting industry is a prime example....the Bush Era EPA killed it
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline jukin

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 01:32:02 PM »

So far.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.