Author Topic: US Oil Industry Can't Find Enough Workers Due To Trump Immigration Policies  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212580879

Now Trump has even managed to get them to support the oil and gas industry, while having to admit the economy is so great my industry can't find enough workers!   :lmao:

Not to mention they're pissed because he's enforcing the law ... I thought they were always screaming about 'Rule of Law!'

:lmao:

babylonsister (161,972 posts)

US Oil Industry Can't Find Enough Workers Due To Trump Immigration Policies

Everything he touches turns to shit.
Posted on Sun, Oct 13th, 2019 by Reuters
US Oil Industry Can’t Find Enough Workers Due To Trump Immigration Policies
By Andrew Hay

HOBBS, N.M. (Reuters) – New Mexico oil man Johnny Vega laid out his predicament as his crew hoisted pipes from a well during the biggest oil boom in U.S. history.

The son of a Mexican guestworker, Vega cannot find enough legal workers to meet demand for his oil well service rigs.

There is no shortage of Hispanic and Latino immigrant workers without work permits he could hire in Lea County, New Mexico – the No.2 oil-producing county in the United States.

But Vega says he wants to play by the rules, not least because of a heightened risk of company audits by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) under President Donald Trump. As a result, he has equipment that could be generating $700,000 a month standing idle in his yard.

“They’re demanding more rigs, more swabbing units, but you don’t have enough employees,” said Vega, who runs Mico Services with around $17 million in annual revenues. “It’s a lack of a system to get legal workers, to have more of a workforce to pull from.”

Employers like Vega in the Permian Basin oilfields of New Mexico and Texas say they feel caught between Trump’s support for their industry and his policies focused on tougher immigration enforcement.

It’s a dilemma faced in other sectors of the U.S. economy that depend on foreign workers after ICE reported surges of between 300% to 750% in worksite investigations, audits and arrests in fiscal year 2018.

more...

https://www.politicususa.com/2019/10/13/us-oil-industry-cant-find-enough-workers-due-to-trump-immigration-policies.html

MagickMuffin (9,414 posts)

1. Just following orders

Trumpery is just following orders. Putin is the man behind the curtain pulling gop strings.

Uhm ... I don't think it is orders Trump is following.  I think it is the law that Trump is following.  I work in the oil and gas industry and we don't have a problem finding legal workers, we have a hard time finding craftsmen.  Welders pay is continuing to go up at an ever increasing rate.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

So the Trump economy is so hot and unemployment so low that companies are having trouble finding qualified workers? I'm sure that if DUpipo got off their overly substantial :moon: es that could be alleviated some. Though "qualified" and "work" might be obstacles.

Besides, don't good Progs believe that oilfield jobs are jobs that should not exist and therefore must be extincted?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:18:29 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online 67 Rover

So the Trump economy is so hot and unemployment so low that companies are having trouble finding qualified workers? I'm sure that if DUpipo got off their overly substantial :moon: es that could be alleviated some. Though "qualified" and "work" might be obstacles.

Besides, don't good Progs believe that oilfield jobs are jobs that should not exist and therefore must be extincted?

Maybe Bigman Pigman can put his associates in business to good use and let them know how they can be more efficient with the legal manpower they have or just pay more and attract workers to that industry.  :popcorn:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Maybe Bigman Pigman can put his associates in business to good use and let them know how they can be more efficient with the legal manpower they have or just pay more and attract workers to that industry.  :popcorn:

How about tubby Tobin?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Online 67 Rover

How about tubby Tobin?

Yes you are correct it was Tubby that I was thinking of when he decided he knew better how to run the trucking company than the people that actually started it. Thanks.

They could also consult Steve Dawes?  Oh wait I heard he is dying or something.  ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
So laws are apparently "living documents" to the DUmp.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Online Old n Grumpy

So, you want to hire a bunch of untrained, unskilled workers that don't speak english to work in a dangerous environment like an oil rig? :thatsright:

That sounds really intelligent to me.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
So, you want to hire a bunch of untrained, unskilled workers that don't speak english to work in a dangerous environment like an oil rig? :thatsright:

Here's something I'll bet a lot of DUmmies don't know, and would probably be completely outraged about;

I have 2 plants I work in that will not let our vendors delivering materials drive into their plant without a working knowledge of the English language.  They have to take a test before they will be allowed to drive their vehicle into the plant.  It takes about 20 minutes to take the test and watch the safety video that accompanies it.

I had a vendor trying to deliver a dome roof and I was called by the security at the gate explaining the driver wouldn't be allowed to deliver.  I had to call my vendor and tell them they had to have an English speaking driver and I wasn't paying for their delivery attempt because they were told up front of that requirement.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline landofconfusion80

"She's gonna blow, boys !"
"Aye caramba!!!"
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
"She's gonna blow, boys !"
"Aye caramba!!!"
That gets a hi5 for the laugh it caused. Thanks
This too shall pass.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.

Yeah. As Jeremy Clarkson is fond of saying,  what could possibly go wrong.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Too much!

Primitives go "This is great! Fewer individuals to help pump oil out of the ground which is used to pollute our world and cause climate change! But wait, that viewpoint doesn't hurt Trump. So, that means our official stance has to be different."

Twisted like pretzels.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
When have any of those hypocrites ever wanted the oil industry to be productive.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Doesn't Hunter Biden have some "experience" as an oil and gas man... :whistling:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DLR Pyro

But Vega says he wants to play by the rules, not least because of a heightened risk of company audits by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) under President Donald Trump.

yeah, ain't it a bitch when the President demands that our immigration laws are enforced?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

Maybe the US educational system shouldn't have been pushing so many students into career-path-free Liberal Arts majors!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Maybe the US educational system shouldn't have been pushing so many students into career-path-free Liberal Arts majors!

Yes sir!  I've been preaching this to my friends for YEARS!  I see my friends literally pushing their kids to go to college, and I see them struggle to pay the tuition for them, or demand they work to help with the tuition.  One of my friends kids took me up on my offer of putting him to work.  He went to a welding school and came out to work with me.  He started out in the field at $25/hour plus $100 per diem.  He works 50 hours every week and on some jobs he's worked 60 hours per week.  He's learning a trade and making great money for a young man in his mid 20's. 

On his regular 50 hour/week gigs this young man is pulling in $97,500/year (gross).  Not too bad for someone without a college degree ... and he's stayed busy learning.  He's not making the $25/hour anymore.  He has about 2 years of experience doing tank work and he's gotten a raise.

I'll put that up against a college degree any day, if your goal is to earn a decent living.

KC

*Stolen