Author Topic: Gabriela's quest for safety: Pregnant mom gets her boys through sickness ...  (Read 9241 times)

Offline mrclose

Original long @$$ title ...
Gabriela's quest for safety: Pregnant mom gets her boys through sickness, a trash train and 3,000 miles

Get your crying towels out everyone! :bawl:

Gabriela Hernandez and her two boys joined the "migrant caravan" of travelers across Mexico toward the United States, some hoping to cross the border. This is her story of the journey, compiled from multiple visits and interviews.

She is late.

Gabriela Hernandez has missed the caravan marching north.

As she realizes her mistake, she also knows she can't let it go.

She scrounges up enough coins to pay for a taxi. Not knowing exactly where the group is, they simply head north, asking along the way in the hope they will catch up with the group.

The pregnant mother of two has never before left Honduras. Now, she has fled her country, crossed Guatemala and found herself in the southern Mexican border city of Tapachula.

"I was very scared. I didn't even have a dollar for a hotel," she says later.

When she arrived with her two little boys, she didn't know whom to trust.

And in the back of her mind, she is also thinking about the talk among the migrants. She has heard about "la hieleras," the coolers, the migrants' nickname for cold ICE detention facilities.

She has heard she could be held for months. But, it's the talk of family separation that worries her most right now.

Immigration authorities say they do not normally split mothers from their children, but that does not stop the fear.

"Omar already tells me, 'I don't want to be far away from you. I will cry.'"

Mexico gave her 20 days to travel to the U.S.

Refugees are obliged to stop in the first place of refuge.

Guatemala and then Mexico are the first countries she entered, the places she is supposed to seek refuge. They speak her language there, and their culture is closer to her own.

As they pull into a shelter’s parking lot, other migrants and supporters are cheering, holding signs that read, “The fight continues,” “No Trump” and “Viva Honduras.”

Yet they’re leaving Honduras for the United States.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/27/us/mexico-migrant-caravan-diary/index.html

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:19:15 PM by mrclose »
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline DLR Pyro

Guatemala and then Mexico are the first countries she entered, the places she is supposed to seek refuge. They speak her language there, and their culture is closer to her own.

yeah, but the freebies are so much better in the USA.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020