Author Topic: The Mind of the Politician  (Read 652 times)

Offline 5412

The Mind of the Politician
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:10:50 AM »
Hi,

This guy really nails it.  One of the best articles I have ever seen and it gets to the core.

http://personalliberty.com/understand-morality-government/

Unfortunately it does not paint a positive picture because how do you fix it; particularly when the media is in the tank?

Regards,

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: The Mind of the Politician
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
I like Bob Livingston's writing.

His article has a couple of glaring fallacies.

1. "The morality of government" is the theme of the article. Government, or the State, has no morality. Morality is an individual attribute- only a single human being can possess it.

2. From the article: To those walking the halls of government power, the people over whom they rule usually fall into one of two classes.  The function of government in the United States is not to rule the citizens- see the Preamble of the Declaration of Independence.

Here is a weekend's worth of reading, much better than either Livingston or I could hope to produce:  https://mises.org/library/road-serfdom-0
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline 5412

Re: The Mind of the Politician
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »
Hi,

You make two good points in a perfect world.  However it seems that we now are infested with career politicians, in both parties, who are more interested in their power than doing the job outlined in the Constitution.

For years the government has governed against the will of the majority.  They sell their votes to the highest bidder and look upon "flyover America" as hicks loving their "Guns and God" thinking the political class is smarter than everyone else.

In the last few elections Conservatives got fooled by the Republican Party who, when the dust cleared, went along with the establishment, opposed nothing and got nothing of substance done. 

They had the votes to repeal Obamacare and made no real attempt to do it.
They had the votes to audit the Fed and voted it down.
Illegal immigration got worse, not better.

How do voters learn the difference between those who truly want to represent our interests versus the establishment?  The only way I can think of currently is you vote for a candidate that you hope can never be bought by special interest groups.

Best regards,