Author Topic: The NCAA Men's Basketball Tourney is a microcosm of our society at large.  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Miss Mia

taterguy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) 
Mon Mar-09-09 04:35 PM
Original message
The NCAA Men's Basketball Tourney is a microcosm of our society at large.

The only reason we tolerate such vast inequality is that we buy into the myth that everyone has a chance.

News flash: It's A MYTH

How many #1 seeds have lost in the opening round since they started seeding 25 years ago?

NONE

There are a few token upsets in the early rounds. A hot team vs. an overrated team, or maybe a team whose star partied too hard the night before the game.

As for actually winning the thing? You have to be one of the schools that's already rich and powerful.

UNC-Charlotte came close in 1977 when they were a podunk school just because they lucked into Cornbread Maxwell, the last real talent that wasn't heavily recruited.

Since then it's been nothing but the biggest and the baddest winning.

American dream my ass.

Only one reply so far, but I suspect that it'll pick up. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
I was just going to bring this one over.

Honest to goodness, you could hand these quacks a Graham Crack-er and they'd come up with some way that it's oppressing them.

(BTW mods, when in the world did the word "crac-ker' (minus the hyphen) become a word that is worthy of being bleeped out with *'s?)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 04:46:30 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

I'm confused.  Shouldn't the DUmmies be happy that athletic scholarships are awarded mostly to blacks?  Forget the rankings, I want equal oppurtunity for whites to play basketball in college and the NBA.

Offline Sweet Dee

Oh good lord shut the hell up!  Stop ruining March Madness, geebus.   :cheersmate:

Offline Miss Mia

I'm confused.  Shouldn't the DUmmies be happy that athletic scholarships are awarded mostly to blacks?  Forget the rankings, I want equal oppurtunity for whites to play basketball in college and the NBA.

LOL! 

Cant trust em  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Mon Mar-09-09 04:44 PM
Response to Original message
3. Only difference

The "biggest and baddest" in the NCAA are largely African-Americans frequently from underserved areas.

Compare that to the nation as a whole when the top of the social pyramid are white kids from exclusive backgrounds.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Miss Mia

I was just going to bring this one over.

Honest to goodness, you could hand these quacks a Graham Crack-er and they'd come up with some way that it's oppressing them.

(BTW mods, when in the world did the word "crac-ker' (minus the hyphen) become a word that is worthy of being bleeped out with *'s?)

Turn off the censorship.  :)  It's in your User CP. 
Stink Eye

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
They have to politicize everything including Marc Madness.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Vagabond

Wasn't it just recently Gonzaga was considered to be a have not and went deep into the tourney for a few years running?
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Wasn't it just recently Gonzaga was considered to be a have not and went deep into the tourney for a few years running?

Yup.  Methinks that they'll go deep this year, too.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.