Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325300 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #425 on: October 02, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
Stopping by Fiddlehead Farms and getting some steak tips and corn on the cob.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #426 on: October 02, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »
Fixing up some southern chicken and dumplings, got the recipe off food network.

It was the dumplings that I wanted to know about, no Bisquick or Jiffy box stuff.

I went through all the cooks on Food Network and finally found one that sounded like the the dumplings I remember getting at a old time restaurant years ago in NC.

Now I am searching for an old time recipe for Hush Puppy's without onion.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #427 on: October 02, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
Corned Beef, Cabbage and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes.  I have pinto beans soaking to cook up tonight as well.  But, to eat during the week. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #428 on: October 02, 2010, 02:37:33 PM »
Corned Beef, Cabbage and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes.  I have pinto beans soaking to cook up tonight as well.  But, to eat during the week. 

It ain't St Patty's day or any other Irish day....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #429 on: October 02, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »
It ain't St Patty's day or any other Irish day....

True, but I have a buddy that brines corned beef, pastrami and ham.  My order was received today.  And I didn't want to freeze it. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline cavegal

« Reply #430 on: October 02, 2010, 03:06:07 PM »
It will be interesting here. Our Gen Air oven went out. The heating element went out. Nearest place to buy one is 4 hr drive!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #431 on: October 02, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »
It will be interesting here. Our Gen Air oven went out. The heating element went out. Nearest place to buy one is 4 hr drive!

Break out the crock pot, stat!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #432 on: October 02, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »
True, but I have a buddy that brines corned beef, pastrami and ham.  My order was received today.  And I didn't want to freeze it. 

I need to meet this "buddy"....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #433 on: October 02, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »
He lives out in Wills Point now.  Good stuff. Really good stuff. 

Offline cavegal

« Reply #434 on: October 02, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
Break out the crock pot, stat!
Great Idea. We ordered one over the phone, next week... barbecue and crock pot should be used!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline true_blood

« Reply #435 on: October 02, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
Had Chinese food tonight. Woo-Hoo! :evillaugh: :cheersmate:

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #436 on: October 03, 2010, 12:19:15 AM »
Tonight I pan-seared a duck breast, and then made a sauce of red wine, shallots, and mushrooms.  I was a little nervous because it was the first time I had ever cooked duck, but it came out great.  I love trying new recipes.
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #437 on: October 03, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
He lives out in Wills Point now.  Good stuff. Really good stuff. 

Does he make Grey Corned Beef?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #438 on: October 03, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »
Does he make Grey Corned Beef?

Yep. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #439 on: October 03, 2010, 10:24:43 AM »
Yep. 

You lucky, lucky girl you.  I can only get it up here around St. Patty's Day, and only if I pre-order it.  I never had it until I moved up here.

Oh, heaven.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #440 on: October 06, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »
Chicken Rollitini, stuffed with Mozz, spinach and crab, served over a bed of spaghetti..... :drool:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #441 on: October 06, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »
You lucky, lucky girl you.  I can only get it up here around St. Patty's Day, and only if I pre-order it.  I never had it until I moved up here.

Oh, heaven.

Yup.  Having a reuben tonight with the leftovers.   :-)

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #442 on: October 08, 2010, 11:36:57 PM »
Baked flounder and orzo pasta with baby spinach, cherry tomatoes and olives.  I love orzo because it cooks so quickly and mixes so well with all kinds of veggies.
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #443 on: October 09, 2010, 06:46:11 AM »
I'm thinking I introduce my aunt to the New England delicacy of a lobster roll today.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #444 on: October 09, 2010, 07:07:40 AM »
I'm thinking I introduce my aunt to the New England delicacy of a lobster roll today.

I am gonna have GREY corned beef hash for breakfast.   :tongue:

Offline JLO

« Reply #445 on: October 10, 2010, 06:16:30 PM »

Lucky NHSparky's Auntie!  Sounds great  :drool:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #446 on: October 11, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »
Late-night snack of beer and tamales.

I really need to learn to make my own.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #447 on: October 12, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »
Late-night snack of beer and tamales.

I really need to learn to make my own.

Beer or tamales??

Alton Brown just had a show on making tamales last week or this past weekend.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #448 on: October 12, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
Beer or tamales??

Alton Brown just had a show on making tamales last week or this past weekend.
Tamales.  Store-bought tamales are pricey (almost a dollar apiece). 

Here's Alton Brown's recipeGuy Fieri's recipe sounds a little tastier.  The masa looks easy... the recipe is on the back of the box, but I like Alton's using the braising liquid to boil the masa.  The filling is basically shredded beef and this recipe looks a lot like the one I normally use for my ropa vieja.  I just have a feeling I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:37:47 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #449 on: October 12, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »
Pasta with ham and artichoke hearts, in a tomato basil cream sauce.  I made too much, just remembered I have two working lunches this week.  Dang!