Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325328 times)

Offline Scoobie

Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2010, 07:08:55 AM »
Tonight: Chili burritos.

Tomorrow:  Steak and twice-baked potatoes.

Sunday:  Garlic-Lime Chicken and pasta.

Mmmmm....I'm on my way.   :yum:
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »

Mmmmm....I'm on my way.   :yum:

Note: NO LOBSTER.  Although I do have about a pound of lobster meat in the freezer.  And NO, I will NOT use Old Bay.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline JLO

« Reply #277 on: June 04, 2010, 08:54:57 PM »
Kid says "Heart attack on a plate!"

No fooling!   :-)
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2010, 09:46:55 PM »
Ribeye medium rare, with a little blue cheese butter melted.  Home grown zucchini and cherry tomatos in packets of foil with butter, lemon, and Parmesan.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #279 on: June 08, 2010, 10:07:39 AM »
Baby Back Ribs. Dad and bro are coming up to the house today (my brother hasen't seen the house since we did the addon/bath remodel). We're also going to take my nephew (almost 5) fishing at a local lake.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »
Leftover eggplant parm and broccoli rabe sauteed in garlic and olive oil.

I used extra cheese on the eggplant...Yummmmmmm

I didn't pack enough for dinner though as I am still hungry... :(

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #281 on: June 19, 2010, 10:11:48 AM »
Tonight--Angel-hair pasta tossed with a lemon artichoke pesto and topped with grilled salmon, salad on the side.

Tomorrow--Beer-can chicken and homemade potato salad.

All this week--Leftovers and LOTS of chicken sandwiches.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2010, 08:02:52 PM »
I made picante chicken in the crock pot.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
I was wanting comfort food and cooking therapy...

Did a baked mac and cheese. Sauteed chopped onions and mushrooms in butter, added chopped garlic and spinach, cooked it for a few minutes, added cooked macaroni and seasonings. Made a white sauce that I added cheddar, mozzarella, parmesean and hot sauce. Mixed it in with the other stuff, put in a baking dish, spinkled garlic herb bread crumbs on top and baked it at 350 for 45 minutes. Ended up with 2 sticks of butter in all and LOTS of cheese.

Made a Paula Deen dessert thing, that I kind of changed. Chocolate fudge cake mix that I added a stick of melted butter and and egg, stirred together and patted out in a 9x13 pan. Melted about a 1/3c orange marmalade in the microwave, added some Cointreau, spread it over the chocolate stuff. Mixed up a cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar batter that I added mini chocolate chips and white Creme de Cocoa to, poured over the other stuff, and baked it. It had 2 sticks of butter too.

I decided that since it was comfort food....there were no calories.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it..... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »
Anybody ever try to make potato salad without red spuds?  I'm hoping to use what I have in the house and all I've got are russets.

Meh--I'll make it work.

Offline debk

« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2010, 10:29:44 AM »
Anybody ever try to make potato salad without red spuds?  I'm hoping to use what I have in the house and all I've got are russets.

Meh--I'll make it work.

Yes.....just don't cook them too long, or they will be mushy...
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
This is a potato salad that I make all the time, and it REQUIRES russets:

Boil the russets in their jackets until fork-tender. I usually do about 5 lbs. at a whack.

Meanwhile, make up a mirepoix of 1.5 cups each of diced celery, bell pepper, and leeks. Make sure to clean the leeks thoroughly before dicing as they tend to gather dirt up in the layers.

When the taters are done, peel them while hot (DO NOT RINSE!) and cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Obviously, you'll want to either peel the taters with a towel over your hand or use a fork to hold the tater while you peel it with a butter knife.

Season liberally with kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper. Screw that white pepper shit.

Add somewhere between 2-3 cups of real mayonnaise, depending on taste, to the HOT potatoes. Fold in to combine, without breaking up the taters. Let sit a few minutes while you prepare a small bunch of fresh dill. Don't rinse the dill because that just results in a mess. Just give them a rough chop and try to avoid the bigger stems. Separate the tiny spines as much as possible.

Add the mirepoix to the tater/mayo mixture. Add the dill. Fold carefully to combine.

Adjust seasonings, and you're done.

Adding the mayo to the hot potatoes results in the mayo "soaking" in and makes for a nice chunky salad without being soupy or too mayo-ee.

The leeks and the dill make the salad oh-so-dee-lish.  :drool:

Option: If you like your tater salad with a bite of vinegar (sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't), you can add a quarter to a half cup of red wine vinegar to the taters after you've added the mayo. Let sit to soak in.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:25:53 PM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
Hmmm. I dearly love good potato salad and I truly hate to make it.

You are the second person in less than a week who's told me to leave the skins on when boiling, then peel.  :bow:

I like eggs and mustard in mine too. No pickles.

Get on that will you and send it to me.... :-)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2010, 02:38:34 PM »
Hmmm. I dearly love good potato salad and I truly hate to make it.

You are the second person in less than a week who's told me to leave the skins on when boiling, then peel.  :bow:

I like eggs and mustard in mine too. No pickles.

Get on that will you and send it to me.... :-)

It is a bit more suck work to do it that way, but that way the taters don't get gummy on the outside. 

I love potato salad. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2010, 02:41:54 PM »
You are on the wrong end of the state, m'dear.

Mrs E and I were in Jackson, TN, over the weekend. It was the first time I'd been there since we left in March, 2000. I have grown VERY FOND of that town....

Anyway, I made up a batch of tater salad. It was good y'all. (Practicing for retirement.)

Oh, homey don't do eggs in tater salad. Reminds me of egg salad, and homey don't do egg salad. My mother used to hard boil a dozen eggs and put 'em all into her tater salad. Yuck.

Mustard, once in a very great while, is acceptable. But not to the point that it's yellow. If I want the acid bite, I'll do the red wine vinegar.

Pickles, sweet or dill? Fuggedaboudit.

Offline debk

« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2010, 02:44:19 PM »
You are on the wrong end of the state, m'dear.

Mrs E and I were in Jackson, TN, over the weekend. It was the first time I'd been there since we left in March, 2000. I have grown VERY FOND of that town....

Anyway, I made up a batch of tater salad. It was good y'all. (Practicing for retirement.)

Oh, homey don't do eggs in tater salad. Reminds me of egg salad, and homey don't do egg salad. My mother used to hard boil a dozen eggs and put 'em all into her tater salad. Yuck.

Mustard, once in a very great while, is acceptable. But not to the point that it's yellow. If I want the acid bite, I'll do the red wine vinegar.

I like the egg white....not the yolk. When I make egg salad, I dump out about half of the yolks.

When I have "over-easy eggs"...it looks like some kid's plate. All the white is very neatly gone, with that big glob of yellow still on the plate.  :-)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »
I love all types of tater salad, but my handmedown does have aigs in it.  And pickles.  And yellow mustard. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2010, 02:47:31 PM »
I love all types of tater salad, but my handmedown does have aigs in it.  And pickles.  And yellow mustard. 

Try it my way. You'll never go back. To aigs. Pickles. And mustard.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
Try it my way. You'll never go back. To aigs. Pickles. And mustard.

Oh, I make it very similar to your way too, but without celery.  I will toss in a little celery seed though.  The aig way was the way my grandma learned me.  So I make it when I am feeling sentimental.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2010, 02:57:39 PM »
Oh, I make it very similar to your way too, but without celery.  I will toss in a little celery seed though.  The aig way was the way my grandma learned me.  So I make it when I am feeling sentimental.

:hi5:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
:hi5:

I have been trying to get away from potatoes for a while and get Hubby into brown rice that he is not thrilled with.

So I made up a pot of brown rice that had 2 tbs. of butter, and 3 leaves of Kale.

I made the same amount of white rice with same amount of butter, a chopped onion and celery.  I mixed both white and brown rice in a bowl to gether and served  it with chunks of home made chicken from the soup I had made the other day.  Hubby loved it and ate seconds.

Now I am wondering if I can make potato salad and some how substitute rice for potato's.   Has anyone any ideas???

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »
I have been trying to get away from potatoes for a while and get Hubby into brown rice that he is not thrilled with.

So I made up a pot of brown rice that had 2 tbs. of butter, and 3 leaves of Kale.

I made the same amount of white rice with same amount of butter, a chopped onion and celery.  I mixed both white and brown rice in a bowl to gether and served  it with chunks of home made chicken from the soup I had made the other day.  Hubby loved it and ate seconds.

Now I am wondering if I can make potato salad and some how substitute rice for potato's.   Has anyone any ideas???

I don't know about subbing rice for taters, but I have seen a lot of books that change out cauliflower for potatos. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »
Made a "me only" batch, loaded-style.  Two potatoes, two eggs, some celery, green onions, mustard, mayo, bacon bits, shredded cheddar, salt and pepper to taste.

Oh, yes...oh, yes indeed.  Rest of that batch is going bye-bye tonight.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »
Tonight, Imitation Crabmeat salad...with lemon, olive oil, garlic and oregano.  I like it luke warm.  I think it's called Pollack....

For tomorrow, I defrosted pork loin cutlets....I'll beat them till they are  thin...bread them, fry them up....and serve with a simple green salad.  Kind of like a Milanese.

Offline debk

« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
Tonight, Imitation Crabmeat salad...with lemon, olive oil, garlic and oregano.  I like it luke warm.  I think it's called Pollack....

For tomorrow, I defrosted pork loin cutlets....I'll beat them till they are  thin...bread them, fry them up....and serve with a simple green salad.  Kind of like a Milanese.

I want some Italian cooking lessons from you... :-)

Made shrimp salad the other night....like crabmeat salad, it's such a good thing for summer.  :drool: