Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 331760 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
Add as mall onion, finely diced, and that's how i make my guacamole.

For those over 50 years of age, do you find you need more seasoning then you did 30 years ago.?

The older I get the more I find I can enjoy hot food.  Even those Vietnamese hot peppers in a very small amount don't bother me.  Really good taste and flavor.

I never put hot sauce on eggs and fried potatoes until about 10 years ago.  Some places do not have any kind of hot sauce so I use A1, or house steak sauce.

Tonight I will drive hubby crazy.  He is the only Irish Man I have yet to meet that does not really like Cabbage.      So the boiled dinner will have it, turnip, parsnips both white and sweet potatoes with the corn beef I cooked up in the pressure cooker.  

By the way, about those pressure cookers, I have no memory of my Grandmothers ever being without them.   Used to sterilise jars for canning and glass baby bottles.

Just one accident with these cookers on one side of the family.   Grandma was cooking up pea soup, left the kitchen for an emergency and the darn thing became a freaking bomb.
       Blew straight up into the 2 nd. floor and spread pea soup everywhere.

Todays cookers are much safer, every year new models are introduced with even more safety devices.      I can well understand why anyone who was never raised around these devises would have a fear of them.  However we have had these cookers for what 60-70 years and manage to use them and stay alive.

It is like when one Fry's up bacon  they stay with the pan while it cooks, one does need to be alert when using the cooker.

A delight for me as a kid was when I ran into the garden and picked some corn and green beans.  Ran into the house and within 20 minutes the corn was peeled the beans were snapped.   Into a pressure cooker for 20 minutes or less, loads of real butter, salt and pepper---Can't get that at a 4 star restaurant.     DROOL  

Offline debk

« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »

Me too, and I add a bit of cayenne and garlic too.

Deb, I would use gloves, especially if you wear contacts. 

Yes, I wear contacts, and even though I was my hands obsessively when cooking, I would hate to have the oil not completely off and stick my finger near my eye. Murphy's Law and all that... :thatsright:

Doing the corned beef and cabbage thing for tonight. But I'm thinking I will add potato salad instead of boiling other vegetables as I'm sure most of the leftovers will get turned into sandwiches.

Not only that it will save time as I'm cooking a bunch of stuff for this catered thing tomorrow: 50 each of mini blueberry cheesecake muffins with lemon glaze and mini carrot cake muffins with cream cheese frosting, 100 mini brownie cupcakes, 100 pinwheels thingies - roast beef and provolone, ham and colby jack, turkey and havarti, and 40 savory quiche squares. The nail salon I go to is having their 5th year anniversary. It's the same woman that I did a deal for last month, just a different shop. I really don't like those pinwheel things  :( I think I will do the RB with the roasted tomato tortillas, the ham with flour, and the turkey with spinach, just so the tray doesn't look so drab. Doing the quiche squares for those who don't eat meat....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
Sounds lovely Deb! 

I swear, as much as I wash my hands it takes more than 24 hours for that pepper oil to leave my hands, so I always use gloves now. 

The worst is when you take out your contact quickly, and don't realize your hands still have that oil, then they marinate in it over night.  The next morning is no fun.  Yowzas!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2010, 07:31:20 PM »
Sounds lovely Deb! 

I swear, as much as I wash my hands it takes more than 24 hours for that pepper oil to leave my hands, so I always use gloves now. 

The worst is when you take out your contact quickly, and don't realize your hands still have that oil, then they marinate in it over night.  The next morning is no fun.  Yowzas!

I've had my lenses in since before Christmas. I really need to get to the eye doctor, and order some new ones. Good thing I don't ever get much buildup on my lenses.  :banghead:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2010, 08:19:48 PM »
Deb, do you have the recipe for the blueberry cheesecake muffins?

Offline debk

« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
Deb, do you have the recipe for the blueberry cheesecake muffins?

I soooo badly cheat on these things!

They are those Martha White packets in the baking aisle in the grocery. The are called blueberry cheesecake muffins. I add whatever the milk quantity is, I think it's half a cup, and for two packets, I add a half pint container of fresh blueberries. The packet has little chunks of a cream cheese mixture. Two packets makes a dozen regular size muffins and about 3 dozen minis. One packet is $.78!! at Walmart.

Follow the baking directions.

The glaze is nothing but lemon juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle on the top while still warm.

They also come in a strawberry cheesecake, but I don't like adding the fresh strawberries. They don't back very well.

There is an apple cinnamon though that I like, and I add some extra cinnamon and small chunks of fresh Granny Smith apples.

I have tried the Orange Cranberry and added craisins and done an orange glaze and they are really good too.  :drool:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:35 PM »

The only difference is I use red onions, hot sauce, and, of course, mash it up.  I add the tomatos after the "cados" are smashed up (folded in).
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
RIBS.  Slow cooked, 4-5 hours at 250 degrees on the BBQ, with dry rub for starters and mesquite chips for smoke.  Basted in apple juice every hour.  Finished with a hot/sweet (think cayenne and ginger) sauce for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Let rest for 15 minutes.  Meat is literally falling off the bone at that point.

Make up some nice homemade macaroni and cheese, and add a side of grilled onion and zucchini.  Heaven.

Pure heaven.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2010, 11:39:50 AM »
 :drool:

May need to pick up some ribs at the grocery today....haven't fixed them in a long time.

Offline Flame

« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2010, 03:16:40 PM »
Birthday week in the Flame household starts today, so we are doing one combine birthday dinner, out to a japanese steak house.  =)

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #210 on: March 20, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
NY strip steak, grilled rare. Potato with sour cream and real bacon bits. Caesar salad.  :-)
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »
Pulled pork and tater tots :hi5:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
  Take out as we want to watch a movie, Chinese, Chow Mien, egg rolls, fried rice and chicken wings. I hope some Egg fu young and perhaps some Sub Gum.

I wish I could find a place that makes Filipino food---Lumpia--or rice with coconut as a loaf.
[ when I lived in Hawaii I had a friend that took me to the Pinapple Plantations and this was served to the workers. ]     Never could find that food again and in the Phillipeans it is unknown.
    The hot sauce the Laos make,  some of the Cambodian spices  that are not to be sold in stores.

I am not a fan of Japanese cooking, but some Korean Kim Che without the anchovies is to drool over.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »
T-bone steaks with home-made steak fries.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2010, 07:08:18 PM »
Campbells' chicken and rice soup :(  In a rush when I left the house for work...so that's what I grabbed.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2010, 02:13:33 PM »
Picked up some cod at the store, going to try brushing it with a mixture of orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs, then baking.

Will have it with some whole grain and wild mushroom pilaf, broccoli, a whole wheat roll, soy milk, and some fruit for dessert.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »
Picked up some cod at the store, going to try brushing it with a mixture of orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs, then baking.

Will have it with some whole grain and wild mushroom pilaf, broccoli, a whole wheat roll, soy milk, and some fruit for dessert.

Codpieces?  :uhsure:

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
Codpieces?  :uhsure:

Pieces of cod.... fish...  ::)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
Haven't looked at the menu tonight.  I got a free appetizer and dessert from a restaurant here in town for winning a trivia contest a few weeks back.  Thinking I might want to spend it tonight.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
Pieces of cod.... fish...  ::)

Hey, Crocks....how are you feeling? I was wondering about you yesterday, cause I haven't seen any of your posts.....

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
I'm gonna head over to the Chico State farm and get me some beef.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »

I have to laugh when I think of Cod.    A very wormy fish depending  on the time the wild is caught.    When caught in the very cold water they have few worms, when caught in warm waters, one has to spend an hour with tweezers to get all the worms out.

After all my years around fisherman the only fish, fresh or frozen that I will eat is Haddock.  Tuna I leave out as I do eat it but it comes in a Pouch with sunflower oil----YUMM.

Did you know that farmed Alasken Salmon is dyed to resemble the wild caught.?   Farmed Salmon is gray in color, something in their diets at farms is missing.---------One can ask if the missing food is causing the Salmon to have less nutriments.

When you buy fish, the controll is of all things the Federal Commerce Department or some such department that has no link to the Federal food and drugs.

Cod caught wild in the North Sea in the month of January, I would consider eating.

Offline debk

« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
I always liked Haddock...but have not had it in years. It was one of those fish that we ate on Fridays when I was a kid.

Ever since I found out that not all restaurants serve real salmon, but some other fish that is cut and dyed to look like salmon, and having had some that I know wasn't salmon....I don't order it any more.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
I always liked Haddock...but have not had it in years. It was one of those fish that we ate on Fridays when I was a kid.

Ever since I found out that not all restaurants serve real salmon, but some other fish that is cut and dyed to look like salmon, and having had some that I know wasn't salmon....I don't order it any more.

Kind of a shame Debk that inlanders have no idea what they are eating.

Up here where I am at we go fishing about 15-20 miles out.   First thing one learns is to not hit the bottom with your hook and bait.     The bottom is for the ground feeders and in this area means the what we call them ground sharks.   

These guys weight in at about 10 pounds and are one hell of a fighter.  Most people let them go, what good are they, and, the can bite off a finger a few hours after being out of the water.

The Asians up here go fishing for them, they can take a fillet of them and you can swear you are eating prime fish.

When it comes to relly  knowing what kind of seafood you are eating, a Lobster or a crab, or crab legs is about the closest you will get unless you catch that seafood yourself.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »
I'm making pork chops with caramelized onions.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.