Author Topic: Just got my first laptop.  (Read 4114 times)

Offline JLO

Just got my first laptop.
« on: December 04, 2010, 10:53:04 PM »
Toshiba mini NB255-N245 PLL2PU-00701F Netbook. 

There is no manual and I don't know the basics of safely using the battery.  I've read online that the first few times of use, I should drain the battery, then plug it in to recharge.   Next day there was a warning, because I didn't shut down my programs first.  Second day, I shut down programs that were open, then let it sit for awhile, then plugged it it.  We'll see how that goes.

Second issue - I can't get the hang of how to scroll.

Third - Windows 7 drives me nuts.

I have searched online and youtube for some directions, to no avail.  I DID find a manual on-line, but that just crashed Firefox twice.

Anybody have any ideas for me?

:-)

Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Just got my first laptop.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:28:27 AM »
send it back??  :-)

As far as the battery, don't leave it plugged in all the time. That kills laptop/ netbook batteries and they're not cheap to replace.

second issue..... well......... LEARN

I like Windows 7 barring the nag screens for permissions. Those CAN be disabled, but that kind of defeats their purpose, malware installing itself without the operator's knowledge.

If you're downloading a manual, you probably need to install Adobe Acrobat reader (freeware). Then Firefox won't "crash". You know, that old  "divide by zero" thing?? If acrobat reader isn't installed, Firefox doesn't know what to do with it sometimes.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline JLO

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:08:50 AM »
send it back??  :-)

As far as the battery, don't leave it plugged in all the time. That kills laptop/ netbook batteries and they're not cheap to replace.

I like Windows 7 barring the nag screens for permissions. Those CAN be disabled, but that kind of defeats their purpose, malware installing itself without the operator's knowledge.

If you're downloading a manual, you probably need to install Adobe Acrobat reader (freeware). Then Firefox won't "crash". You know, that old  "divide by zero" thing?? If acrobat reader isn't installed, Firefox doesn't know what to do with it sometimes.

Thank you - good suggestions!  I bet that will work

Except #2.  I cannot figure out how to SCROLL along the right side of the screen, without using two fingers, which is not convenient for me.  My left hand doesn't work so well after a stroke. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:23:16 AM by JLO »
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:37:38 AM »
buy a wireless mouse with a scroll wheel........
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 07:51:40 AM »
You should be able to scroll the page using the up and down arrow keys.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
You can adjust the sensitivity of the mouse pad.  I bought a spare battery for my other laptop. It was pricey.  It only lasts for 45 min. You can control the power options also with the battery use. I have vista so I am probably a bit different than yours JLO. Good Luck!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:12:25 AM by cavegal »

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »
You can adjust the sensitivity of the mouse pad.  I bought a spare battery for my other laptop. It was pricey.  It only lasts for 45 min. You can control the power options also with the battery use. I have vista so I am probably a bit different than yours JLO. Good Luck!!!!!!!

Vista isn't drastically different that Windows 7 as far as the user interface. The BIG difference in in the core system files. There are a few little add-ons that Vista doesn't have.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
You only got a 45-minute battery?  The Lenovo's (IBM Thinkpad) at work will run from 2-4 hours on battery power alone.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »
You only got a 45-minute battery?  The Lenovo's (IBM Thinkpad) at work will run from 2-4 hours on battery power alone.

Cavegal prob has a Dell........  :fuelfire:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
Or an HP...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »
I did not do the research so I paid the price of that.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »
A wireless mouse would work fine as posted above, or if you wanna save a little money just get an optical mouse with a scroll wheel that uses a usb connector.

In the mean time you could just use the thumb held down on the left click area of the pad while using your fore finger to "scroll" on the upper most area of the pad. Not sure how to explain it better than that but that is how I do it with one hand.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline JLO

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »
A wireless mouse would work fine as posted above, or if you wanna save a little money just get an optical mouse with a scroll wheel that uses a usb connector.

In the mean time you could just use the thumb held down on the left click area of the pad while using your fore finger to "scroll" on the upper most area of the pad. Not sure how to explain it better than that but that is how I do it with one hand.

Ok, Janice and thanks - that's what I was looking for regarding scrolling.
 :cheersmate:

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »
Buy.com has a cool little USB mouse/trackball that fits over your index finger and you use your thumb to operate the ball and buttons. They're very comfy and easy to use.

Look around there's other places that sell them too. WalMart used to at one time, they may still.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »
Thats a good suggestion Randy. Didnt think of that -- and I have one!

I just never used it. Bought it to try and never did really need it.

But that is a great idea for this application.  :cheersmate:
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline JLO

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 09:58:01 PM »
Buy.com has a cool little USB mouse/trackball that fits over your index finger and you use your thumb to operate the ball and buttons. They're very comfy and easy to use.

Look around there's other places that sell them too. WalMart used to at one time, they may still.

Wow - what a great little handy device.  Got one at Amazon for $12.44 and 2-day free shipping.  Thanks for telling me about it - I'd never heard of it.  Looks like a dream :-)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:15:45 PM by Thor »