Author Topic: Mrs. Alfred Packer peels pizza  (Read 822 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Mrs. Alfred Packer peels pizza
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:05:19 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x74716

Oh my.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-03-10 08:35 PM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER
Original message

My new pizza peel.

A very dear friend knew I was having trouble with dough sticking to my metal peel so I hadn't been using it. So she surprised me with a gift yesterday. It's bamboo and she also ordered a bottle of oil to be sent with it. It's really beautiful.

after which a photograph of something that looks like a garden spade carved out of wood

Duer 157099  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-03-10 08:38 PM
Response to Original message

1. That is gorgeous!

I'd be afraid to use it! Mine has all sorts of carbon marks and burns all over it.

That's really beautiful! Nice friend!

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-03-10 08:46 PM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER
Response to Reply #1

2. Thanx! 

I'm going to use it probably Friday for the first time.

Another friend also sent me this huge fair trade "blessing basket" made in Ghana, which I'm going to use to shop for my produce so I don't have to use those nasty plastic bags.

after which a photograph of something that looks very much like an Easter basket, but Mrs. Alfred Packer probably doesn't do Easter either

It's not even my birthday or anything. I have wonderful friends.

pengillian101  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 03:02 AM
Response to Reply #2

6. Holy smackers, you got some good pals!

You have some very good pals who know you well and I'm happy you really enjoy their gifts.

I just love your basket!

Mind_your_head  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-03-10 10:54 PM

4. What an absolutely PERFECT gift for you!......considering you make those beautiful (and delicious) homemade pizzas!

You've got a very thoughtful, considerate, and 'pizza admiring' friend there!

elleng  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 03:59 PM

12. GORGEOUS!

Looks like a piece of furniture! Do you have a 'pantry' where it can be displayed?

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 06:32 PM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER
Response to Reply #12

14. Nah...

I'm gonna hang it from a hook on the pot rack with the other one. I think my friend would be disappointed if I treated it gingerly and didn't use it for its intended purpose.

I dunno.

Mrs. Alfred Packer's one of the cooking and baking primitives who's whined before, about a lack of storage space for all of her cookery toys, and here she is, having to start hanging things on the walls, too.

franksolich has always found a plain ordinary spatula--which has uses for things more than just pizza--works fine.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Mrs. Alfred Packer peels pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »
Funny, every place I've worked that required a pizza peel simply sprinkled ground cornmeal to keep it from sticking.  A bamboo peel would last about a week in a professional restaurant.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Online Karin

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »
Yes, I've always felt that a pizza peel was the biggest, clunkiest, highest space-hogging vs. utility ratio piece of gadgetry.  All it does is transport the raw pizza into the very hot oven.  That's all it's good for.  I guess you could spank someone with it.   :-)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
I got a couple of those...

they're called oars.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
Goodness, the things you can learn from DUmmies. In all my life, this is the very first time I've ever heard of a "pizza peel" as a baking utensil. Anytime something tries to stick, we just use one of those turner thingies you use to turn over hamburgers or pancakes, and next time we bake the sticky stuff, not being idiots, we use a non-stick spray before baking. Pizza comes from Pizza Hut, is far superior to any home made pizza, and I could care less what utensils they use.

And wherever the "artisan" who crafted her Easter basket lives, most likely the Ghanian suburbs of Southeast Asia, his "fair trade" wage for a year isn't near what the average democrat gets in food stamps every month. If she wants a handwoven basket of quality, made by someone who supports an American family on the piecework wage, she should be using a Longaberger basket. But a Longaberger basket big enough for shopping would run over $100, while her "fair trade" sweatshop model was likely under $10.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
1.  I wouldn't think that a pizza peel would be something fit for a household kitchen.  The ones we had, at the pizzaria were long handled with metal peels, because we had to get the dang thing out of the oven.  Stupid. 

2.  I love Longaberger baskets.

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »
Goodness, the things you can learn from DUmmies. In all my life, this is the very first time I've ever heard of a "pizza peel" as a baking utensil. Anytime something tries to stick, we just use one of those turner thingies you use to turn over hamburgers or pancakes, and next time we bake the sticky stuff, not being idiots, we use a non-stick spray before baking. Pizza comes from Pizza Hut, is far superior to any home made pizza, and I could care less what utensils they use.

And wherever the "artisan" who crafted her Easter basket lives, most likely the Ghanian suburbs of Southeast Asia, his "fair trade" wage for a year isn't near what the average democrat gets in food stamps every month. If she wants a handwoven basket of quality, made by someone who supports an American family on the piecework wage, she should be using a Longaberger basket. But a Longaberger basket big enough for shopping would run over $100, while her "fair trade" sweatshop model was likely under $10.

Me too, I figured it out when Karin said you used it to transfer the raw pizza to the oven.  :p

They must not watch Alton Brown.  The only item you need in your kitchen that doesn't have multiple uses is a fire extinguisher. 

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »
Cable TV in this O-conomy? Surely you jest.

:-)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »
Cable TV in this O-conomy? Surely you jest.

:-)

Hell, all I did was be nice and polite to the cable installer and he gave me a free upgrade from basic to standard cable and I'm still only paying $9 a month.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »
Hell, all I did was be nice and polite to the cable installer and he gave me a free upgrade from basic to standard cable and I'm still only paying $9 a month.

It wasn't this guy I hope:

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:15:01 PM »
They must not watch Alton Brown.  The only item you need in your kitchen that doesn't have multiple uses is a fire extinguisher. 

I suppose they have been known to be flung at husbands now and then.