Author Topic: Opponents Decry Planned 10 Commandments Display at Oklahoma State Capitol  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Opponents Decry Planned 10 Commandments Display at Oklahoma State Capitol

OKLAHOMA CITY —  Civil libertarians and some religious groups say a bill to erect a Ten Commandments monument on the grounds of the state Capitol is a clear violation of the U.S. Constitution and are urging Gov. Brad Henry to veto the measure.

Similar displays elsewhere, including a Ten Commandments monument at the Haskell County Courthouse in Stigler, have drawn numerous legal challenges, including some that have reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

Rep. Mike Ritze, the House author of the bill, stressed the historical significance of the Ten Commandments, which he said are an important foundation of the laws and legal system of the country, and said the display is not a religious one. He said hundreds of similar displays appear in public spaces across the country, including images of Moses and the Ten Commandments at the U.S. Supreme Court building in Washington.

*snip*

"Even though in the bill it states that they are not preferring one religion over another, we argue they are," said Tamya Cox, legislative counsel for the Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. "By allowing this monument to be placed, you are highlighting Christianity over any other minority faith."

Note there is no complaint about what it says, just its origin.   :whatever:

MORE

Edited because the writer at Fox News can't spell "capitol" in the title.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:32:48 AM by lug-nut »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
I don't know if Henry will veto this or not. This will piss off the Baptists and he is eyeing Jim Inhofe's Senate seat or maybe District 3 for U.S. House and he's been pretty liberal lately with the sovereignty bill and kissing the OEA's collective ass on Senate Bill 834. He better moderate a bit towards the right or the political hay will keep piling up.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Lord Undies

I want the critics to explain how this would be a "clear violation of the U.S. Constitution".  I am tired of having to accept such baseless statements as if they are correct and unquestionable.  I want a direct quote from the Constitution which prohibits the posting of the Ten Commandments at the Oklahoma State Capital, otherwise i want to bring suit against those who lie about and abuse the Constitution to further their unAmerican agenda.   

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I want the critics to explain how this would be a "clear violation of the U.S. Constitution".  I am tired of having to accept such baseless statements as if they are correct and unquestionable.  I want a direct quote from the Constitution which prohibits the posting of the Ten Commandments at the Oklahoma State Capital, otherwise i want to bring suit against those who lie about and abuse the Constitution to further their unAmerican agenda.   
You're gonna be a busy man.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Sam Adams

Here is the problem: the Ten Commandments are revered by every denomination of Christianity, but also by the Jews. So, which religion is promoted by erecting a display of the Ten Commandments?

IIRC, there's a mural of Moses receiving the Ten Commandments in the Supreme Court building in DC. I don't see why that's a problem.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
I've broken 11 of the 10 commandments but for the life of me I do not understand this manic phobia from the supposedly agnostic/atheist set. I don't believe in unicorns but I don't run around seeking to ban them from public discourse.

I think most of those who profess to be agnostic/atheist actually do fear God on an instinctual level and hope to ban the commandments and religion as a whole so that if they ever appear in front of him they can put out some lame-ass alibi like, "I never believed in you because there was never enough evidence to settle my doubts."

To wit they will hear, "Yeah--well--it's not like you would ever shut-up long enough to let anybody say 2 words about the subject while in your presence."

I'm told it's really about the harm religion can cause when codified into law but I'm not seeing anything in the 10C that could be used for tyranny. We've enacted 7 of them already and even if I were to break the 1st what penalty could be imposed wherein I couldn't summon one of the other 9 to my plea for leniency?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline TheRightWay

• Probationary (Probie)
Of course those "libertarians" object to placing a monument to our lord. Only a libertarian would reject the will of the people to place our god born right to spend this countries money praising our lord.

This is a christian country it is our right as true Christians to use the money gathered by our lord to build a monument to the rules we are meant to live by

God bless America

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Sam Adams

Henry signed the bill into law yesterday.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20090518_298_0_OKLAHO112466

Good! But I am guessing the ACLU will be on this like white on rice. If the federal courts rule against Oklahoma, can Oklahoma declare its sovereignty?

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Aren't the 10 Commandments part of the backbone of Western Civilization's legal systems?

I never understood how this is ever an issue.... :whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lord Undies

Good! But I am guessing the ACLU will be on this like white on rice. If the federal courts rule against Oklahoma, can Oklahoma declare its sovereignty?

They certainly can if the state takes the opportunity to make the Supreme Court admit that "separation of church and state" is not part of our Constitution.  There is quite an argument if the state strongly takes the correct position that the State of Oklahoma is NOT the US congress, which is the only entity expressly forbidden by the Constitution, limited to not passing any laws establishing a nation religion.  The state, which is well within its rights to establish a religion, can do damn well what the people of the state will allow.

Respect for common sense, reality, facts, history, and REAL words must be demanded without compromise.   

Offline Sam Adams

Aren't the 10 Commandments part of the backbone of Western Civilization's legal systems?

I never understood how this is ever an issue.... :whatever:

It's an issue because people hate God, and they want to keep him hermetically sealed inside a mayonnaise jar.

Offline Sam Adams

They certainly can if the state takes the opportunity to make the Supreme Court admit that "separation of church and state" is not part of our Constitution. 

Good post. But I  don't think the State Of Okalahoma can make the US Supreme Court admit anything. They seem like a pretty arrogant bunch (with a few noteworthy exceptions).

Offline Lord Undies

Good post. But I  don't think the State Of Oklahoma can make the US Supreme Court admit anything. They seem like a pretty arrogant bunch (with a few noteworthy exceptions).

When I say "make" I mean when time comes to present an argument to the Court is the time to go in with the attitude that the Constitution says what it means and means what it says.  Nothing less will be accepted.  Either the Supreme Court will have to admit the facts or admit they don't believe what the Constitution plainly says.

If the Court will not adhere to the Constitution's words, the state can tell the court that the Court has no jurisdiction over the state of Oklahoma in this matter, tell the Court if the Court doesn't agree, the Court can do whatever it can muster to enforce their illegal ruling, walk out, and go secure the monument. 

Offline Sam Adams

When I say "make" I mean when time comes to present an argument to the Court is the time to go in with the attitude that the Constitution says what it means and means what it says.  Nothing less will be accepted.  Either the Supreme Court will have to admit the facts or admit they don't believe what the Constitution plainly says.

If the Court will not adhere to the Constitution's words, the state can tell the court that the Court has no jurisdiction over the state of Oklahoma in this matter, tell the Court if the Court doesn't agree, the Court can do whatever it can muster to enforce their illegal ruling, walk out, and go secure the monument. 

Okay, but when was the last time a state government had that kind of testicular fortitude? I am guessing about 150 years ago, and we know how that turned out.

Offline Lord Undies

Okay, but when was the last time a state government had that kind of testicular fortitude? I am guessing about 150 years ago, and we know how that turned out.

If any state does, it is Oklahoma.  They are my last best hope.