Author Topic: Can't connect to some pages - firewall problem?  (Read 2835 times)

Offline jinxmchue

Can't connect to some pages - firewall problem?
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:13 AM »
We are having problems connecting to some, but not all, webpages.  For example, I could get into Facebook when I was automatically logged in (i.e. "Remember me"), but when logged out and trying to log in, it gives an error message about the connection being interrupted.  I clicked the "diagnose" option that came up and it said something about the firewall and http, https and ftp ports.

Other weird webpage issues, I can get into my Gmail using the iGoogle page, but cannot get into the full version of Gmail.  However, another webmail site (Praize.com) works just fine.  As usual, this is all very confusing.

Offline thundley4

Offline jinxmchue

Re: Can't connect to some pages - firewall problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
Okay, I figured out the problem.  We have Norton on our computer and its firewall overrides the Windows firewall.  The problem kind of resolved itself when I turned on the Windows firewall and restarted.  Norton gave me a popup that stated that its firewall was recommended over Windows and asked if I wanted to switch.  When I switched it, everything started working again.

I really hate machines.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Can't connect to some pages - firewall problem?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:14:37 PM »
Okay, I figured out the problem.  We have Norton on our computer and its firewall overrides the Windows firewall.  The problem kind of resolved itself when I turned on the Windows firewall and restarted.  Norton gave me a popup that stated that its firewall was recommended over Windows and asked if I wanted to switch.  When I switched it, everything started working again.

I really hate machines.

:puke:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.