Author Topic: Gephardt pays $42K FEC fine (at least it isn't tax fraud)  (Read 719 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Gephardt pays $42K FEC fine (at least it isn't tax fraud)
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
hey, at least it isn't tax fraud. :thatsright:  a $40K fine for a $200K violation?  why does it take 5 freaking years to resolve an campaign finance infraction?  and jeeez, the guy only got 15 votes in the primaries.  he ran a well oiled campaign. :whatever:

Gephardt pays $42K FEC fine

Former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt, in a settlement made public Monday, agreed to pay a $42,000 fine to settle charges that his 2004 presidential campaign violated federal election laws.

The Federal Election Commission had accused Gephardt of accepting $212,000 worth of illegal, over-the-limit contributions and also of violating the spending limits imposed by the presidential public financing system.

Gephardt – the former Missouri congressman whose presidential fundraising lagged behind that of 2004 rivals Howard Dean, John Kerry, John Edwards – got $4.1 million in so-called matching public funds.

But the financing system restricts spending to a certain amount in each state. And Gephardt, who largely bet his campaign on winning the Iowa caucus, spent nearly $163,000 more than allowed in Iowa, according to the commission.

Gephardt, whose lawyer did not respond to messages seeking comment, did not admit to wrongdoing in the settlement.

More

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
Re: Gephardt pays $42K FEC fine (at least it isn't tax fraud)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:11:46 AM »
prior to the election of the 0ne as president, Gephart is responsible for the biggest single day drop on Walls street.

I was so glad to see him out of politics.

Sayonara, racist and stupid.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!