Author Topic: Woman facing forced sterilization seeks asylum  (Read 841 times)

Offline CharlesD

• Just Off Probation
Woman facing forced sterilization seeks asylum
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »

DENVER (AP) A woman who feared that deportation to China meant forced abortion or sterilization upon arrival at her homeland lost her bid for asylum in the United States.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Friday denied Xiu Mei Wei's request to reopen her case.

A three-judge panel said that Wei failed to present ''material evidence'' that her case be reopened based on conditions in China or her personal circumstances, including her fourth pregnancy.

Wei's temporary visa expired in April 1997 but she didn't apply for asylum until November 2002 when she was pregnant with her third child. A message left after business hours for her attorney, Lorance Hockert, was not immediately returned.

As part of her application for asylum, Wei attached a formal notice regarding enforcement of China's one-child policy sent to her mother by authorities in her hometown of Changle City, Fijian Province. It advised her that is she didn't abort her third child, she or husband would be sterilized upon their return.

She also provided proof that her sister-in-law had been forced to undergo an abortion and sterilized when she became pregnant with her third child.

In its ruling, the judges upheld an immigration judge and Board of Immigration Appeals rejection of her application based on her failure to file it within the required one year of arriving in the U.S. and failure to demonstrate changed or extraordinary circumstances justifying the delay.

link
"To those who cite the First Amendment as reason for excluding God from more and more of our institutions and everyday life, may I just say: The First Amendment of the Constitution was not written to protect the people of this country from religious values; it was written to protect religious values from government tyranny."
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.demaristransportation.com

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: Woman facing forced sterilization seeks asylum
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »

DENVER (AP) A woman who feared that deportation to China meant forced abortion or sterilization upon arrival at her homeland lost her bid for asylum in the United States.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Friday denied Xiu Mei Wei's request to reopen her case.

A three-judge panel said that Wei failed to present ''material evidence'' that her case be reopened based on conditions in China or her personal circumstances, including her fourth pregnancy.

Wei's temporary visa expired in April 1997 but she didn't apply for asylum until November 2002 when she was pregnant with her third child. A message left after business hours for her attorney, Lorance Hockert, was not immediately returned.

As part of her application for asylum, Wei attached a formal notice regarding enforcement of China's one-child policy sent to her mother by authorities in her hometown of Changle City, Fijian Province. It advised her that is she didn't abort her third child, she or husband would be sterilized upon their return.

She also provided proof that her sister-in-law had been forced to undergo an abortion and sterilized when she became pregnant with her third child.

In its ruling, the judges upheld an immigration judge and Board of Immigration Appeals rejection of her application based on her failure to file it within the required one year of arriving in the U.S. and failure to demonstrate changed or extraordinary circumstances justifying the delay.

link

Messin' with international policies tends to be a little sticky. I have a question though...........did she try and become a citizen LEGALLY, or did she become pregnant in order to become a citizen?

Seems like the latino's think that is a quick trip to becoming legal. At least for the children, and who is going to separate a child from it's parents? Not us all caring Westerners!  :whatever:
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »

She shouldn't have procrastinated
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline CharlesD

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »
She shouldn't have procrastinated

You snooze you lose, but I was really kind of meaning to point out the lousy Chinese policies that are at least partially at the root of the problem. 

You do have to wonder about the reason for getting pregnant though.  That thought crossed my mind after I posted it. 
"To those who cite the First Amendment as reason for excluding God from more and more of our institutions and everyday life, may I just say: The First Amendment of the Constitution was not written to protect the people of this country from religious values; it was written to protect religious values from government tyranny."
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.demaristransportation.com

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
I tend to come down on the Chinese are a communist dictatorship, so she can stay side.  On the other hand, the Chinese don't stack up as commies really, maybe fascists though.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken