Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 10/23  (Read 776 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
McConnell Defends Biden’s Decision to Include Aid for Israel, Ukraine in One Budget Request

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/mcconnell-defends-bidens-decision-to-include-aid-for-israel-ukraine-in-one-budget-request/ Probably a pay wall.

Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) defended President Biden’s decision to include aid for Ukraine and Israel together in one budget request after some other Republicans criticized the bundling of the aid.

McConnell’s comments came during an interview on CBS’s Face the Nation set to air on Sunday. Host Margaret Brennan asked whether it was possible to pass aid to Ukraine without it being tied to Israel. The prospect of continuing to send aid to Ukraine, which has already received $133 billion in military and economic assistance from the U.S., has been a source of tension in the Republican Party over the last several months. Some have advocated focusing on domestic issues, while others insist it is integral to U.S. interests to help Ukraine defend itself against Russia.

“I just think that’s a mistake,” McConnell said. “I mean, I know there are some Republicans in the Senate, and maybe more in the House, saying Ukraine is somehow different. I view it as all interconnected.”

McConnell went on to defend the idea of approving more aid for Ukraine, noting much of the aid is being spent in the U.S. in increasing the production of the weapons.

“No Americans are getting killed in Ukraine. We’re rebuilding our industrial base. The Ukrainians are destroying the army of one of our biggest rivals. I have a hard time finding anything wrong with that. I think it’s wonderful that they’re defending themselves — and also the notion that the Europeans are not doing enough,” he said.

Some Republicans have been skeptical of Biden’s proposed package, pushing back against the idea of tying Israel’s aid to assistance for Ukraine.

“There is an immediate responsibility on Congress to make sure Israel has what it needs to defend itself, and to hold that aid hostage by linking it with a myriad of other issues — including bailout for sanctuary cities and more money for Ukraine — is irresponsible,” Senator Marsha Blackburn (R., Tenn.) said on Thursday.

“These separate funding requests should be considered as such,” she added.

McConnell, for his part, said he and Biden are “generally in the same place” on funding for Ukraine and Israel, but said the two differ on domestic issues.

Last week, Biden sent an urgent budget request to Congress proposing $60 billion for Ukraine and replenishing U.S. stockpiles, $14 billion for Israel, $10 billion for humanitarian efforts, $14 billion for the border and $7 billion for the Indo-Pacific region.

One day before Biden made a rare primetime speech from the Oval Office making the case for the aid to Israel and Ukraine, Biden announced that he would provide $100 million in humanitarian assistance to the Palestinians. He did not say how his administration would prevent the funds and supplies from falling into the hands of Hamas terrorists.

McConnell said during the interview airing Thursday that there are “genuine humanitarian needs of the people of Gaza who are not Hamas, who’ve been thrown under the bus by what Hamas did. Innocent people.”

“But we want to be careful about how the money is spent, be sure it actually gets where it’s supposed to get,” he said.

The Murder Turtle cozying up to Chuck the Schmuck and SharterJoe are very clear reasons why he's got to go. It would surprise me greatly if he decided to run for reelection in 2026. He looks like death warmed over.

Personally, I don't give a damn about the Gazans. They choose to live where they do and they put up with their Hamas masters. Children are another matter, but I have no sympathy for the Gazan adults. Let 'em go live in Syria - oh, wait - even the Syrians don't want 'em.

In short, McConnell has seen better days and his work with getting conservative judges in place during Trump's presidency has pretty much been negated by his increasingly irresponsible positions regarding budgetary constraint. It's as if he's spending other people's money -- oh, wait. He is.

Mitch, GTFO. You're done, buddy.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 10/23
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 06:54:28 AM »
  It would surprise me greatly if he decided to run for reelection in 2026. He looks like death warmed over.

Like this?

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 03:11:12 PM »
https://apnews.com/article/right-wing-influencer-sentenced-voter-suppression-6bbf876ed7b81cb137669129350791b9

Far-right influencer sentenced to 7 months in 2016 voter suppression scheme

NEW YORK (AP) — A right-wing social media influencer was sentenced to seven months in federal prison on Wednesday for spreading falsehoods via Twitter, now known as X, in an effort to suppress Democratic turnout in the 2016 presidential election.

Douglass Mackey, who posted under the alias Ricky Vaughn, was convicted in March of the charge of conspiracy against rights after a trial in federal court in Brooklyn.

Prosecutors said Mackey, who had 58,000 Twitter followers, conspired with others between September and November of 2016 to post falsely that supporters of Democrat Hillary Clinton could vote for her by text message or social media post.

snip

So, it's this influencer's fault those people were stupid, and it's worthy of federal prison time?  But the legitimate concerns over broken laws, mysterious boxes of ballots, and covered windows aren't worthy of investigation?  Clown world. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 03:52:23 PM »
It’s not clown world, it’s banana republic. :thatsright:

Like in the USSR our government is rotten to the core. All bidens and clintons crimes have been overlooked.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 05:54:13 AM »
Like this?

You could've provided a spork alert, dammit.  :lmao:

That hag is right out of Brothers Grimm.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 09:44:35 AM »
You could've provided a spork alert, dammit.  :lmao:

That hag is right out of Brothers Grimm.

Was, my friend. Was...

That hag is presently feeding worms - finally - and being a good communist. Oh, and she's preparing to vote in at least 30 different precincts next month; early and often.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 10:32:16 AM »
Was, my friend. Was...

That hag is presently feeding worms - finally - and being a good communist. Oh, and she's preparing to vote in at least 30 different precincts next month; early and often.

True dat...h5... but the internet is forever. The scrunt was planted 3 weeks ago and yet we're regaled by her image even now.  :puke: