Author Topic: If you did ANY of these 6 things today, you have "class privilege"  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027439156

Photographer (500 posts)    Thu Dec 10, 2015, 04:36 PM

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/everyday-class-privilege/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare

When I landed my first-ever full-time, salaried job, I experienced firsthand what class mobility felt like. Just like that – in what felt like an instant – everything changed.

I could finally go out to happy hour without counting my drinks. I could budget to buy really good gifts for my family during the holidays. I could afford to buy fresh produce every week at the grocery store.

But I never stopped being aware of how different life had been when I was underemployed, underpaid, overworked, and stretched for cash.

Class privilege can show up in really big, visible ways in our world.

1. You Woke Up Well Rested

2. You Paid for Convenience

You’re running late, so you scrap your plan to make coffee and run to Starbucks instead. You’re working late hours, so you pay a little extra for Instacart delivery to grab groceries for dinner. You’re applying for jobs and going to interviews, so you hire a sitter. It’s late and you’re hungry, so you order take-out.

The ability to choose convenience – even in moderation – despite its added costs is very common in our culture.

Nobody thinks it’s gaudy to be seen with a pizza box, and people aren’t going to be shocked and awed by the fact that you hire a nanny for the weekends. These are seen as normal, everyday choices.

But for lots of folks, they’re experiences that are financially out of reach.

Most parents earning minimum wage or working in other low-wage jobs can’t afford child care. Some folks budget so tightly that even that $2.50 iced coffee will break the bank. And close to 50 million Americans are food insecure.

<SNIP> The entire piece at the above link. Worth the read if only for a reminder.

Cliff Notes:

1) 1. You Woke Up Well Rested
But for some people, sleep is a luxury – and data shows that folks who are disadvantaged socioeconomically are likely to suffer more from sleep deprivation.

2) 2. You Paid for Convenience

You’re running late, so you scrap your plan to make coffee and run to Starbucks instead. You’re working late hours, so you pay a little extra for Instacart delivery to grab groceries for dinner. You’re applying for jobs and going to interviews, so you hire a sitter. It’s late and you’re hungry, so you order take-out.

3) 3. You Called in Sick

For a lot of full-time, salaried workers, calling in sick is a matter of picking up the phone.

The only decision to make in the morning is whether or not we feel good enough to do our jobs (and how many sick days we have left for the year).

Waking up with a headache, having killer cramps, or catching a virus from your kids means staying home with some soup, opening up Netflix, and laying in bed until we get better.

But for some workers, waking up sick means going to work sick.

4) 4. You Used Your Car or Took Reliable Public Transit

5) 5. You Got Paid for All Your Hours at Work

Luckily, most of us can reasonably count on being paid on time and at the rate we agreed on.

But many people can’t be sure they’ll ever see their pay for a day’s work.

Across the country, workers are dealing with wage theft, which means they’re not being paid for the hours they worked in full.

6) 6. You Bought Fresh, Healthy Food at the Grocery Store

There are a lot of groceries stores in my neighborhood, and all of them carry fresh produce.

Ok all you people out there who PAY for quality vehicles so you can get to work, you have CLASS PRIVILEGE.

ok all you people out there who buy fresh veggies instead of a month worth of frozen mac n cheese, you have CLASS PRIGILEGE.

And so on.

:argh: :banghead: :censored: :bird:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:10:51 AM by franksolich »
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline JakeStyle

Re: If you did ANY of these 6 things today, you have "class privilege"
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »
The photographer DUmmy is definitely a sock account for a banned DUer.  I'm thinking that he is DonRedwood the gay lumberjack that was banned last year, their writing style is identical.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:52:16 PM »
So, only unemployed insomniac couch potatoes do not have class privilege? :mental:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:09:37 PM »
Typical DUmbshit

If you did ANY of these 6 things today, you have "class privilege"

Yeah, and I earned every bit of it.

So go **** yourself.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
Look dummie. I'm sure everyone here has been in the same situation regarding a very tight budget. It is called being poor. I was poor myself. I did not like it so I did the things that would make me not poor.  I suggest instead of ya all whining and bitching ya all get off your lazy asses and  take steps to become not poor.  Plenty of advice out there on the internet.

So what do you dummies do?  Whine, bitch and... remain poor.  Whining and bitching never got anyone anywhere. Hard work has. I am not saying that it will make you rich... what it will do is make you not poor. 

My suggestion is to do what I did. I found some people that were comfortable, asked them how they did it, and took their advice.  Worked for me.

5 cents please.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Delmar

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »
Response to Photographer (Original post)Thu Dec 10, 2015, 10:28 PM
Igel (22,905 posts)
48. The overwhelming majority of people are privileged.

Meaning that a smaller group is just average. In fact, not just a smaller group, but an overlapping set of smaller groups.

Odd semantic shift--the disadvantaged are now viewed as the norm, and the majority viewed as above average.

A semantic shift that I reject as an unwieldy, unnecessary imposition, as an attempt to redefine things in such a way as to manipulate others. Don't like manipulation.

Huh?  That's primitive math for you.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 09:49:07 PM »
Whine, Whine, Wine  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DLR Pyro

I did all but #3 because I rarely ever call out sick. It's good to have class.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 12:09:46 AM »
Android3.14 (3,929 posts)   Thu Dec 10, 2015, 07:24 PM

26. This all just click bait for guilt addicts

Define class privilege.

1. You Woke Up Well Rested - Gee, after a 12 hour work day I went to bed at 10 p.m. and woke up at 4:30, well rested, and started work by 6 a.m.. A good night's sleep isn't privilege. It's planning and common sense.

2. You Paid for Convenience - Define convenience. A flush toilet is a convenience. In the woods, a latrine with a roll of toilet paper on a nearby branch is a convenience.

3. You Called in Sick - I called in sick a few weeks ago. I didn't get paid for the sick day. This isn't class privilege; it's the reason we ****ing have unions.

4. You Used Your Car or Took Reliable Public Transit - This is just stupid. This isn't class privilege, it's living within walking distance of a bus station or carpooling or just keeping your shit together so you can make it to work.

5. You Got Paid for All Your Hours at Work - Not a class privilege, but a ****ing reason to be in a union. As a small business owner, I can guarantee you I rarely receive pay for all the hours I work. In fact, **** this shit. Today was ****ing payday, and I am the lowest paid employee in my company and guess what? I didn't pay myself today, because I had to make sure the paychecks I did sign wouldn't bounce. When an employer pays you for all the hours you worked, it is because that employer has integrity, not because of class privilege.

6. You Bought Fresh, Healthy Food at the Grocery Store - Define fresh. Is unspoiled milk fresh? Is raman that is sold before its sell by date fresh? Fresh vegetables are cheaper than convenience food. Buying quality food isn't privilege, it's about making smart choices. I can buy six cans of Hormel chili, but instead I purchase the ingredients for much less and make a better chili.

This OP is stupid (the article. I don't know enough about the person who posted it to determine what ther deal is). Feel guilty if you want about "class privilege" when all you are doing is what everyone else is doing, trying to make your way with as much dignity as you can muster and the resources available.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 12:15:31 AM »
The photographer DUmmy is definitely a sock account for a banned DUer.  I'm thinking that he is DonRedwood the gay lumberjack that was banned last year, their writing style is identical.

bigwillq (67,781 posts)    Fri Dec 11, 2015, 12:28 AM
response to the deadwood primitive

50. Congrats on 500 posts!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 03:50:33 AM »
Photographer (500 posts)    Thu Dec 10, 2015, 04:36 PM

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/everyday-class-privilege/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare

When I landed my first-ever full-time, salaried job, I experienced firsthand what class mobility felt like. Just like that – in what felt like an instant – everything changed.

I could finally go out to happy hour without counting my drinks. I could budget to buy really good gifts for my family during the holidays. I could afford to buy fresh produce every week at the grocery store.

But I never stopped being aware of how different life had been when I was underemployed, underpaid, overworked, and stretched for cash.

Class privilege can show up in really big, visible ways in our world.

1. You Woke Up Well Rested

2. You Paid for Convenience

The ability to choose convenience – even in moderation – despite its added costs is very common in our culture.

Nobody thinks it’s gaudy to be seen with a pizza box, and people aren’t going to be shocked and awed by the fact that you hire a nanny for the weekends. These are seen as normal, everyday choices.

But for lots of folks, they’re experiences that are financially out of reach.

Most parents earning minimum wage or working in other low-wage jobs can’t afford child care. Some folks budget so tightly that even that $2.50 iced coffee will break the bank. And close to 50 million Americans are food insecure.

<SNIP> The entire piece at the above link. Worth the read if only for a reminder.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 05:40:43 AM »
Anyone get the memo as to what I am supposed to feel guilty about today?

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »

Life. You are supposed to feel guilty about life. We all are.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 07:00:10 AM »

Do you have a car, and if so, do you actually have insurance on it (Other than in the 30 day period when you last registered it)?  Try that, it looks like the "Equal outcomes for all" crowd left that off the list.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »

I must have been left off that distribution list as well.  Damn.  Whatever shall we do?  Rend our garments?  Beat our breasts? Wail and beg for forgiveness?

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
I must have been left off that distribution list as well.  Damn.  Whatever shall we do?  Rend our garments?  Beat our breasts? Wail and beg for forgiveness?

INTERNAL MEMO

To: All Conservative Cave Members

Todays outrage: Take note, you WILL be tested on it later

ANYONE who looks at you is committing a micro-aggression because they find something offensive about you, either your whiteness, your blackness, your redness, your yellowness, your femaleness, your maleness, your confusedness or because they're thinking about how to fix the brakes on their car and look at you wrong.

Response: Confront them, ask them what their problem is, demand an apology, then tell them where they can register to vote for bernie, then laugh hysterically and tell them, "just kidding, have a nice day".

After Action Actions: Report back here with a detailed bouncy on your interaction.

That is all.

My work here is done.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:04:57 PM by Patriot Guard Rider »
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 07:39:39 PM »

You aren't black and your white privilege causes class divisions.  Or something.
Truly, who knows what the hell these navel ass gazing intellectually retards are thinking at any given minute?
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »
INTERNAL MEMO

To: All Conservative Cave Members

Todays outrage: Take note, you WILL be tested on it later

ANYONE who looks at you is committing a micro-aggression because they find something offensive about you, either your whiteness, your blackness, your redness, your yellowness, your femaleness, your maleness, your confusedness or because they're thinking about how to fix the brakes on their car and look at you wrong.

Response: Confront them, ask them what their problem is, demand an apology, then tell them where they can register to vote for bernie, then laugh hysterically and tell them, "just kidding, have a nice day".

After Action Actions: Report back here with a detailed bouncy on your interaction.

That is all.

My work here is done.

:lol: :lol:

Now that was hilarious PGR.  Made me laugh on an otherwise shitty day.  H5 Sir!!!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline SVPete

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 08:16:22 PM »
So, for the "enjoyment" of any DU-folk chancing to peruse this thread, :bouncy: here is how I will spend tomorrow :bouncy: :

* I will get up tomorrow AM at 3;

* I will eat, relax, and prepare for what follows.

* I will drive to a city about an hour north of me.

* Including parking, preliminaries, and activities afterward, I will spend 6 hours walking & running a half marathon.

* Then I will drive home, shower, and get ready for ...

* ... My company's Christmas party.

If all that's "privilege" it's earned privilege. I was born where I was born, and I had loving parents. Beyond those basic things, I worked ... to get an education ... to maintain a career ... in which I ... WORK!

My apologies to fellow Cavers, and thank you for your patience as I tried to show any lurking DU-folk the fruit of that W-Word, work. I realize pretty much all of you could tell analogous tales of your W-Word and the fruits thereof.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »
It's a shame that liberals think so little of minorities that they believe it impossible that they can't make it through life on their own and will only survive through massive social programs.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
My apologies to fellow Cavers, and thank you for your patience as I tried to show any lurking DU-folk the fruit of that W-Word, work. I realize pretty much all of you could tell analogous tales of your W-Word and the fruits thereof.
If I'm getting up at 3am, it's to pee. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »
It's Friday night. Time to indulge in some class privilege and go out for a steak dinner. To any DUmbasses that may be lurking, I have two words for you.......

SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:57:15 PM by Zathras »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 01:13:56 AM »

So go **** yourself.
If all our fellow cavers would join us in being black, they could enjoy white privilege guilt free.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Karin

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »

So go **** yourself.

My sentiments exactly. 

Offline jb2u11

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 12:58:32 PM »
It's Friday night. Time to indulge in some class privilege and go out for a steak dinner. To any DUmbasses that may be lurking, I have two words for you.......

SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!

The misses and I stayed home, she made crab legs.  After dinner she did the dishes, I went to my favorite chair, after dishes she had a glass of wine and I opened a bottle of rye whiskey I had been saving.  I've got privilege coming out of my ears!

I'm not sure what we will do tonight, but I bet it will take a lot of privilege to do it.