Author Topic: Unbeknownst to me, we ate dinner at a republican's  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Mary Ann

Unbeknownst to me, we ate dinner at a republican's
« on: November 29, 2019, 10:58:01 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212738143
mrs_p (2,403 posts)

house yesterday. Not just any republican either, but a former top aid to a top politician in this state. I figured it out this morning when I looked up their last name in the school directory to send the thank you card. They are the parents of my daughter’s new best friend.

We are recent arrivals to this very red state. Football was on the TV (not fox) and there were no other clues (like at my father’s house where pictures of Reagan are prominently displayed). Talk was mostly superficial so I truly had no idea. Politics never came up and we had a good time.

This friendship means a lot to my kiddo and I will do my best not to talk about anything deeper than the weather, though I probably won’t be able to bite my tongue if they ever start in with the usual repub talking points. I’m a little sad. But most people are republicans here so chances were high we would need to begin friendships with the “other.”

Heading to the treadmill for an hour, but I’ll check back in to read any advice for going forward.
mrs_p was forced to spend time with a *gasp* undercover Repuke! Diabolical!! Every Repuke should be forcibly branded right in the middle of their faces so that normal DUpipo will not risk contamination!!! Oh, the DUmanity!!!

Loki Liesmith (3,260 posts)

2. This is madness.

You might think you had dinner at a leper colony from the sound of things.

If they are not obviously MAGA, there’s a reasonable chance they are decent people who just happen to have a disagreement with you regarding governmental services and their funding levels and sources.
A sane one must have broken into the DU nut house. But--since the inmates are in charge of the asylum, Loki is seriously shouted down.
retread (3,418 posts)

4. "...reasonable chance..." Given the op states it is a "very red state" and given the state of

the modern Republican party there is NO chance they are not, at the very least, people who countenance taking babies from their mothers and putting them in cages.
Star Member uncle ray (2,676 posts)

19. there is a greater than zero chance they are decent people.

meanwhile you are 100% peddling Putin's divisive propaganda. let's work to stop putin's influence, then we can get back to partisan bickering. our enemies right now are Putin, Trump, and the Congressional Republicans. we need republican voters as our allies in this fight.
StopTheNeoCons (817 posts)

5. There are NO republicans that are decent people

The party they suppoort and vote for are among the most destructive and dangerous people on earth and they should be shunned by decent people.
Star Member pnwmom (100,872 posts)

35. Nobody who still supports Trump just happens to have a reasonable disagreement.

We are way beyond that. Any intelligent, informed person who still supports him has made a conscious decision to support him because they think they will personally gain, despite his threat to so many vulnerable people, and to our democracy itself.

They are supporting him even though 17 agencies of government said the Russians interfered in the election -- and yet the Rs refuse to secure our election.
They are supporting him even though he is promoting climate-denialism, which is threatening the future of the planet.
They are supporting him even though they knows he flagrantly lies every day.
And on and on and on.

There is nothing "reasonable" about ay of these positions. They defy reason.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Re: Unbeknownst to me, we ate dinner at a republican's
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
mrs_p (2,403 posts)

house yesterday. Not just any republican either, but a former top aid to a top politician in this state. I figured it out this morning when I looked up their last name in the school directory to send the thank you card. They are the parents of my daughter’s new best friend.

We are recent arrivals to this very red state. Football was on the TV (not fox) and there were no other clues (like at my father’s house where pictures of Reagan are prominently displayed). Talk was mostly superficial so I truly had no idea. Politics never came up and we had a good time.

This friendship means a lot to my kiddo and I will do my best not to talk about anything deeper than the weather, though I probably won’t be able to bite my tongue if they ever start in with the usual repub talking points. I’m a little sad. But most people are republicans here so chances were high we would need to begin friendships with the “other.”

Heading to the treadmill for an hour, but I’ll check back in to read any advice for going forward.

Sigh. Why do we care? Whiskey Tango Alpha Foxtrot?????????? :wtf2:  :???: :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
DU-member mrs_p didn't notice her hosts' horns, tail, and cloven feet? ::)  :rotf:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 03:00:36 PM »
Looking at the replies , how sad is it that people can be so filled with hate and can't accept anyone who has a different view of politics that they do. :thatsright: :mental: :mental: :loser: :loser: :loser:

And once one has something negative to say all the rest of the lemmings jump aboard to try to top the last reply. :thatsright: :mad:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 03:22:36 PM »
This is why I say let's get civil war II going on right the hell now.

1. There is no compromise with the mental disease known as leftism... and it is a mental disease.

2. I am not getting any younger.

3. The sooner we can put our country back together.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
StopTheNeoCons (817 posts)

5. There are NO republicans that are decent people

The party they suppoort and vote for are among the most destructive and dangerous people on earth and they should be shunned by decent people.

Hmmm. I wonder what the answer would be if we could ask one of the millions of unborn babies that were shredded within the womb who are the most destructive and dangerous people on earth?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 05:12:44 PM »
mrs_p (2,404 posts)
20. I get so tongue tied and passionate

That I sound like an idiot when I try to talk politics. I also have to be careful what I say for my professional career as this is a small city.

Impending Wallduding.  Cue music.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 07:52:15 PM »
Impending Wallduding.  Cue music.

Another Walldude or DainBramaged?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 09:11:01 PM »
She is a vet path for NDSU. If you've ever stumbled across Heidi's FB page, you know she is a moonbat.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
comment 4040:
https://conservativecave.com/cave/index.php?topic=81827.4025

For a primitive, she's not unaesthetic; she looks okay.

For those who suppose she's older than she alleges herself to be, well, she probably was a farm girl, and they get that way, sort of round and older-looking.  But again, not necessarily unaesthetic, and oh God no, not nearly as beauty-challenged as the "average" primitive woman.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
mrs_p (2,403 posts)

I hope they read your post and next time they invite you over they spit in your soup. :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
I hope they read your post and next time they invite you over they spit in your soup. :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:
I can think of more devious things to do to the DUmmies grub.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender