Author Topic: $3 for a single McDonald's hash brown? Customers are fed up and pushing back  (Read 524 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100218660300

dalton99a (80,114 posts)
Wed Feb 7, 2024, 11:44 AM
RECOMMEND
$3 for a single McDonald's hash brown? Customers are fed up and pushing back
https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/06/business/mcdonalds-prices/index.html

$3 for a single McDonald’s hash brown? Customers are fed up and pushing back
By Allison Morrow, CNN
Updated 10:03 AM EST, Wed February 7, 2024

New York (CNN) — Corporate America may be bumping up against the limit of its power to keep raising prices as consumers in some markets cry uncle.

At McDonald’s, which has repeatedly boasted about its ability to raise menu prices without denting sales, executives are finally acknowledging that customers need a break.

On Monday, as the burger chain reported weaker-than-expected sales at its US stores, CEO Chris Kempczinski addressed McDonald’s “affordability” problem, and indicated the chain would cut prices on some menu items.

“Eating at home has become more affordable,” Kempczinski said.

He’s right: Grocery prices are still high, but they rose just 1.3% overall in 2023, while dining out surged 5.2%, according to the latest Consumer Price Index report.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grocery prices rose just 1.3% where?

Whose mole is this??   :lmao:

You force a company to start paying $20/hour then seem incredulous when the prices go up?  Here is an article where it says the price of fast food is outpacing the price of the food it's made with and you can't seem to figure out WHY the prices are going up?   :rotf:

Interesting thread, but I don't have time to bring it all over.  They can't decide if they want to blame the cost of the food on Bidenomics, or corporate greed.  They point out inflation, but I haven't seen anyone blaming the increase in labor costs.

All that while very few of them want to admit they ever eat fast food.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Boy, there is a lot going on in that thread, from food snobbery to blaming "averages" as a Republican propaganda tool.

This tidbit jumped out at me.

David__77 (22,974 posts)
29. They'll have to figure out how to make food service less labor intensive.
Reply to dalton99a (Original post)
Wed Feb 7, 2024, 01:01 PM

And doing this makes sense. Labor should be expensive.

Evidently David_77 hasn't seen the self service kiosks McDonald's is putting in all over the place.  Several stores around here have one, maybe two cash registers left for people to pay cash after putting in their orders or who refuse to use the screen to order. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SVPete

Labor costs are around 30% of a restaurant's costs. Gooberment arbitrarily boosting the minimum wage from ~$10/hour to ~$15/hour was a 50% increase in a restaurant's labor costs (all employees' hourly rate would be increased, not just those earning less than the new minimum rate). Increasing prices was due to increased costs, not "arrogance".

Food costs are around 35% of a restaurant's costs. Inflation has increased those costs significantly in the past several years (= Biden's years!) (an inflation rate decrease means prices are rising slower, not decreasing!) Increasing prices was due to increased costs, not "arrogance".

Are DU-folk ignorant and stupid enough to think only M among fast food chains has increased prices? A year ago, a friend who is a store manager at a fast-food outlet commented that while their chain had only increased prices ~15%, other fast-food chains had done 30%-35% increases ... that was a year ago.

Welcome to Bidenflation, DU-folk!   :ownit:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 09:54:18 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

29. They'll have to figure out how to make food service less labor intensive.

Like come in and fix it yourself, and bring your own food. :loser:

And it’s not only rising labor and food prices it’s overhead in general taxes, insurance rent utilities. It’s all going up somebody has to pay for it.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

And it’s not only rising labor and food prices it’s overhead in general taxes, insurance rent utilities. It’s all going up somebody has to pay for it.

Utilities - As in gas and electricity? Yep, that's going up (bet utilities' labor expenses are through the roof, ditto the costs of gooberment reg compliance and the anti-business legal climate).

The P, P of P, P, E? Land and facility costs here in Silicon Valley are insane (gooberment anti-growth policies, taxes, and fees have consequences!). To what degree this is true in other states, I don't know.

Insurance - Between slip-and-fall lawyers, frivolous pay-me-off-to-go-away lawsuits, and DAs who won't enforce theft, vandalism, and assault laws, yeah, bet insurance costs are skyrocketing.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Old n Grumpy

All I can say, is thank God for Biden‘s inflation, reduction act. We’ve been in a real mass if it wasn’t for that.  :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline jukin

Minimum wage for the mental giants that "work" fast food is now $20/hr in Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia. That should push the price of hash brown patty to well over $6.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Airwolf

The prices I see at the local McD's are around the same prices I saw for the Big Mac at a McD's in Fairbamks Alaska way back in January 1989 when I was sent there by the Army to spend three weeks as part of Brim Frost 89. The reason it cost that much is because of the cost of getting all of the ingredients and the cost of the utilities and what not back then. I can only imagine what it is now. That being said, those idiots over at the DUmp have either short term memory loss or they are just plain fracking stupid. The cost for things were cheaper and going down with the cost of gasoline under $3.00/Gal in most places in the US. Anyone at the Dump care to guess who was making that happen?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline ADsOutburst

You force a company to start paying $20/hour then seem incredulous when the prices go up?

That seems to be precisely what they believe. The left's version of economics is the equivalent of saying there is not a reaction to every action, or that if the fish jumps, the water doesn't move.

Offline Old n Grumpy

$3 for a single McDonald’s hash brown?

Ask the manager if they have a quantity discount, then you can either eat them all and up your cholesterol or sell them on the black market for a profit :-)

Offline SVPete

You force a company to start paying $20/hour then seem incredulous when the prices go up? ...

DU-folk probably think that franchise owners who graduate from Hamburger University get money-printing machines installed in their rectums instead of a diploma.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
DU-folk probably think that franchise owners who graduate from Hamburger University get money-printing machines installed in their rectums instead of a diploma.

I'd bet that many of those chiming in haven't eaten at a mcdonalds in forever anyway.

"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline SVPete

I'd bet that many of those chiming in haven't eaten at a mcdonalds in forever anyway.

We usually stop of at an M for breakfast on trips to SoCal, maybe once a year (often in Paso Robles). As for burgers, I don't know if I've had an M burger this century. In-n-Out and CfA are much better.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
We usually stop of at an M for breakfast on trips to SoCal, maybe once a year (often in Paso Robles). As for burgers, I don't know if I've had an M burger this century. In-n-Out and CfA are much better.

Recently, we discovered that DQ burgers aren't too shabby over the typical M and BK and wendys competition.

And their cheese curds are tasty too.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline jukin

The prices I see at the local McD's are around the same prices I saw for the Big Mac at a McD's in Fairbamks Alaska way back in January 1989 when I was sent there by the Army to spend three weeks as part of Brim Frost 89.

Friend of mine was in Faribanks around the early 90s working a few weeks as a consulting geologist. He has a picture of a sign from a bar there that says:

'WE SCREW THE NEXT GUY AND PASS THE SAVINGS ON TO YOU."

:rotf:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.