Author Topic: Reporter Mitchell apologizes for 'redneck' comment  (Read 1595 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Reporter Mitchell apologizes for 'redneck' comment
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:21:46 AM »
MSNBC anchor Andrea Mitchell apologized today for calling southwest Virginia, "real redneck" country. Toward the end of her 1pmET hour, she said, "I owe an apology to the good people of Bristol, Virginia for something stupid that I said."

The editor of the Bristol Herald Courier (in Bristol, Virginia), J. Todd Foster, wrote a column published yesterday in response to the comment.

"I'm a redneck. But then again, so is every one of you reading this column. Or so says Andrea Mitchell of NBC News," writes Foster.

Mitchell made the comment last Thursday as she referred to "interesting images," of Sen. Barack Obama appearing with Sen. Mark Warner in southwest Virginia. "This is real redneck, sort of...um, bordering on Appalachia country," she said. "This is not the northern Virginia, sort of, high tech corridor. These are not voters he would logically be gravitating to."
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5raIzKI97hw[/youtube]

"The last bastion of acceptable, politically incorrect stereotyping is making fun of Southerners," writes Foster. "And we're damned tired of it."

VIDEO APOLOGY AT LINK - http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/msnbc/mitchell_apologizes_for_redneck_comment_86658.asp

Good luck winning over the good people of Southern Virginia. Obama's campaign already snubbed the local authorities during his brief stop there. http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2008/06/bristol_officia.shtml
Long before Barack Obama arrives in Bristol today, his advance team stepped on the toes of some city officials.The city, which is hosting the town hall meeting inside Virginia High School and providing police, fire and emergency medical personnel to staff it, has largely been left out of the loop on planning the hastily arranged event, City Manager Bill Dennison said.
I hope the good people in the Southern part of Va can keep the moonbats up here in check come election time.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: Reporter Mitchell apologizes for 'redneck' comment
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
Isn't that the old hag married to Alan Greenspan? Well she married up didn't she?
And why does she have to apologize? She just confirmed what all of us have suspected, that the MSM is filled with politically correct, elitist assholes.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:25:07 AM »
Since when did being a redneck become derogatory?  I like being a redneck.    :tongue:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »
I think she was just trying to garnish some "Cool" points But flubbed it. Her Hubby woulda done much better at it cept he uses such big ass words no one knows what the hell he is saying.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline rotay5

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »
Since when did being a redneck become derogatory?  I like being a redneck.    :tongue:
I like to think of myself as southern redneck,and believe me thats saying something.I've been called worst names by many liberals.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
Mitchell made the comment last Thursday as she referred to "interesting images," of Sen. Barack Obama appearing with Sen. Mark Warner in southwest Virginia. "This is real redneck, sort of...um, bordering on Appalachia country," she said. "This is not the northern Virginia, sort of, high tech corridor. These are not voters he would logically be gravitating to."

This has seriously got to be one of the most ignorant and snobbish statements I have ever heard.  Now don't get me wrong, I happen to believe that getting called a redneck and being called a voter Hussein would not gravitate to by this cum guzzling gutter snipe is a compliment of the highest order.  But, damn!  Stupid like that should be fatal.

How is it that this ****ing airhead can make so much damned money?  I am wondering when people are going to quit going after CEOs of major corporations and go after who is really getting something for nothing - the ****ing media.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »

It was a meant to be a put down on those that she assumed were less intelignent with less job skills and less class. If you don't comprehend what her meaning was, you are a dumb redneck.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »
she is just another elitist witch typical of the lunatic left!

I think the term redneck originated with honest hard working men who worked all day in the sun.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »
she is just another elitist witch typical of the lunatic left!

I think the term redneck originated with honest hard working men who worked all day in the sun.

I have several redneck and coonass friends. She meant it as a put down; same thing when Clinton was running, and the media kept referring to the Bubba (southern) vote. I would like to tell her what a yankee elitist bitch she is.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 11:04:53 AM »

It was a meant to be a put down on those that she assumed were less intelignent with less job skills and less class. If you don't comprehend what her meaning was, you are a dumb redneck.

I'll compare my SAT/ASVAB/IQ scores to hers anyday.

Signed,

Dumb Redneck
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford