Author Topic: McClellan gives no new evidence (his charges are out of a Woodward book!?!?!)  (Read 11761 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
I see nothing wrong with "introducing democracy" in the Middle East.

In fact, I think that's an admirable goal, and don't understand why primitives don't see it that way too.

were these people we "introduced" it to given a choice in the matter?

In case you haven't noticed it, they voted for it.  Several times.   

Removing Saddam Hussein served our and the world's interests, while simultaneoulsy giving a chance to the Iraqi people.  Hope is one hell of a powerful gift to give someone who has never had it, and by removing Saddam Hussein not only did GWB give hope to Iraq, he provided that to the region. 

A student of history understands the significance.

The vote wasn't about whether or not they wanted a democracy.

Regardless, after we inevitably leave Iraq, their government will succumb to the same kind corruption that plagues other Arab countries.

people said the same thing about japan and germany . . . . what is your problem with the natural attractions of democracy and individual liberty for all the countries of the world?

There is no natural attraction to democracy.  That's a myth invented by Wilson.  If there was such a natural attraction for it, then why didn't any stable democracies exist until some 200 years ago?  I've had family members that have lived under democracy and dictatorship.  They preferred the dictatorship, simply they thought there was more security under it.  People care about security and stability more than they care about individual liberty.

that post actually started off almost semi-sane.  it certainly didn't end that way.

nice response.  Instead of discussing something rationally, you descend into name-calling. 

no, name calling would be "YOU are ******* insane".  I merely implied that your POST was ******* insane.

there is a difference.

yet it was a "non-response" nonetheless.  Tell me, why did democracies as we know them not emerge until recently in history?  Since people naturally want to have them, why didn't they emerge 3,000 years ago?

I would like to think it is a product of mankind's innate and never ending desire for improvement;  improvement of the self, of the soul, and of our social arrangements.

we also tolerated slavery for a eons until we were able to overcome that moral wrong.  that doesn't make it "preferable" or "superior", and simply not "natural", simply because it came first.

Offline formerlurker

There is no natural attraction to democracy.  That's a myth invented by Wilson.  If there was such a natural attraction for it, then why didn't any stable democracies exist until some 200 years ago?  I've had family members that have lived under democracy and dictatorship.  They preferred the dictatorship, simply they thought there was more security under it.  People care about security and stability more than they care about individual liberty.

^ ^ ^ I have found it!  The most stupid statement CC has hosted yet.

interesting.  Do you know anyone who has lived in a country that was a dictatorship, which then had a violent revolution, and then became a less than stable democracy?

You mean the United States?   How long did it take our Republic to take shape? 

Offline Wretched Excess

interesting.  Do you know anyone who has lived in a country that was a dictatorship, which then had a violent revolution, and then became a less than stable democracy?

you're mixing some things here.  a country that throws off a dictatorship is usually unstable for a period of time, not the least reason being that social frictions, being suppressed like everything else, are suddenly allowed to vent themselves.

Offline Lord Undies

I've known people who suffered in the USSR, Cuba, and China before moving to the greatest nation this world has ever known, the US of A.  I don't know anyone you describe.  

Why do you ask?  Is there something about such a scenario that causes some to lose their grip on reality and they just happen to be related to you?  

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor

you're mixing some things here.  a country that throws off a dictatorship is usually unstable for a period of time, not the least reason being that social frictions, being suppressed like everything else, are suddenly allowed to vent themselves.

yes well that country revolted over 40 years ago and is still as corrupt and unstable as ever.  The reason my family member said that is because before the revolt, it was safe to go out in the streets at night.  After it, and for until she finally left that country, it was not.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline JohnMatrix

I've known people who suffered in the USSR, Cuba, and China before moving to the greatest nation this world has ever known, the US of A.  I don't know anyone you describe. 

Why do you ask?  Is there something about such a scenario that causes some to lose their grip on reality and they just happen to be related to you? 

that has nothing to do with what I asked. Nice insult btw.

Offline Lord Undies

I've known people who suffered in the USSR, Cuba, and China before moving to the greatest nation this world has ever known, the US of A.  I don't know anyone you describe. 

Why do you ask?  Is there something about such a scenario that causes some to lose their grip on reality and they just happen to be related to you? 

that has nothing to do with what I asked. Nice insult btw.

It has everything to do with what you asked.  Thank you.

Offline Wretched Excess

yes well that country revolted over 40 years ago and is still as corrupt and unstable as ever.  The reason my family member said that is because before the revolt, it was safe to go out in the streets at night.  After it, and for until she finally left that country, it was not.

oppressive regimes oppress criminals, too.  you don't have anything over me here, matrix.  I lived in the PRC in the 80s.  i have seen this up close.  and it was only safe to walk the streets at night if you had the right political beliefs, or at least kept your mouth shut, and did at you were told.  the second you stopped being completely obedient, you disappeared.

are you really trying to argue this point?

Offline formerlurker

Offline formerlurker

You know it really isn't safe to walk the streets of Detroit at night either. 

Damn those founding fathers!   

Offline Lord Undies

oppressive regimes oppress criminals, too.  you don't have anything over me here, matrix.  I lived in the PRC in the 80s.  i have seen this up close.  and it was only safe to walk the streets at night if you had the right political beliefs, or at least kept your mouth shut, and did at you were told.  the second you stopped being completely obedient, you disappeared.

Amen.  This is the point I wanted to make, but I'm too tired to formulate it in my head.  Thanks!   :cheersmate:

Offline Wretched Excess

Amen.  This is the point I wanted to make, but I'm too tired to formulate it in my head.  Thanks!   :cheersmate:

you should drink more. :-)

Offline JohnMatrix

In fact, I think that's an admirable goal, and don't understand why primitives don't see it that way too.

Removing Saddam Hussein served our and the world's interests, while simultaneoulsy giving a chance to the Iraqi people.  Hope is one hell of a powerful gift to give someone who has never had it, and by removing Saddam Hussein not only did GWB give hope to Iraq, he provided that to the region. 

Regardless, after we inevitably leave Iraq, their government will succumb to the same kind corruption that plagues other Arab countries.

people said the same thing about japan and germany . . . . what is your problem with the natural attractions of democracy and individual liberty for all the countries of the world?

Karl Marx,  is that you?   

People care about FREEDOM.   Say it with me, I know you can -- F-R-E-E-D-O-M. 

Freedom and democracy kind of go hand in hand.   

President Wilson, is that you?

if they cared so much we woudn't have to go in and give it to them.

Offline JohnMatrix

that post actually started off almost semi-sane.  it certainly didn't end that way.

nice response.  Instead of discussing something rationally, you descend into name-calling. 

no, name calling would be "YOU are ******* insane".  I merely implied that your POST was ******* insane.

there is a difference.

yet it was a "non-response" nonetheless.  Tell me, why did democracies as we know them not emerge until recently in history?  Since people naturally want to have them, why didn't they emerge 3,000 years ago?

I would like to think it is a product of mankind's innate and never ending desire for improvement;  improvement of the self, of the soul, and of our social arrangements.

we also tolerated slavery for a eons until we were able to overcome that moral wrong.  that doesn't make it "preferable" or "superior", and simply not "natural", simply because it came first.

If that were true then democracies would never fail.

Offline Wretched Excess

there is a difference.

I'm not at all sure that is true, man being fallible and all.  but, just for the sake of argument, when was the last time an authentic democracy did fail?

Offline Lord Undies

Tenneman Square really proves your point here.  Those folks don't need any help.  The communist Chinese government caved under the pressure and today all Chinese people are in charge of their own lives.  I hear tell they can even have a second child now - as long as there first state-authorized child was killed in an earthquake. 

:whatever:

Offline JohnMatrix

there is a difference.

I'm not at all sure that is true, man being fallible and all.  but, just for the sake of argument, when was the last time an authentic democracy did fail?

The Weimar Republic is the most glaring example, where they voted away democracy.  Some of the French Republics failed.  Several countries in the Caribbean/South America seem to be in a cycle of democracy/dicatorship.  A good example would be Venezuela.

Offline JohnMatrix

Tenneman Square really proves your point here.  Those folks don't need any help.  The communist Chinese government caved under the pressure and today all Chinese people are in charge of their own lives.  I hear tell they can even have a second child now - as long as there first state-authorized child was killed in an earthquake. 

how about the Berlin Wall?

Offline dutch508

• Remember

Russians built it to keep people from escaping to the west. BUT- that wasn't your point, was it.

Funny thing, the Cold War. We fought it using all sorts of meathods other than bullets. We broke the Soviet bank and the Eastern block fell apart.

Did it happen without our help?

Depends on if your name is johnmatrix, CU troll.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Lord Undies

Exactly.  Its existence was a testament to the natural human yearning for freedom.    

Offline JohnMatrix

Exactly.  Its existence was a testament to the natural human yearning for freedom.   

yes, if the people of the country really wanted to.  We didn't go into East Germany to "introduce democracy"

Offline Wretched Excess

there is a difference.

The Weimar Republic is the most glaring example, where they voted away democracy.  Some of the French Republics failed.  Several countries in the Caribbean/South America seem to be in a cycle of democracy/dicatorship.  A good example would be Venezuela.

I intentionally used the word "authentic" for a reason.  but you have identified a historic anomaly or two.  and I asked the question for a reason;  most of the "failed" democracies that I knew you would point out are more stable democratic forms of government now.

I think we can safely categorize the conditions in germany that gave rise to the nazis as a on-off.  the fact east and west germany are reunified and democratic now actually supports my original point, and militates against yours.

and france was in a constant period of revolution throughout the failed republics that immediately followed the overthrow of louis.  and they are a stable democracy now.  one more time, this point goes to me.

and nothing about south america is especially stable right now.  just for the sake of argument, I will concede that one to you.

Offline Wretched Excess

Exactly.  Its existence was a testament to the natural human yearning for freedom.   

yes, if the people of the country really wanted to.  We didn't go into East Germany to "introduce democracy"

there may not have been an actual invasion, but what did you think the cold war was all about?

Offline JohnMatrix

there is a difference.

I intentionally used the word "authentic" for a reason.  but you have identified a historic anomaly or two.  and I asked the question for a reason;  most of the "failed" democracies that I knew you would point out are more stable democratic forms of government now.

I think we can safely categorize the conditions in germany that gave rise to the nazis as a on-off.  the fact east and west germany are reunified and democratic now actually supports my original point, and militates against yours.

and france was in a constant period of revolution throughout the failed republics that immediately followed the overthrow of louis.  and they are a stable democracy now.  one more time, this point goes to me.

and nothing about south america is especially stable right now.  just for the sake of argument, I will concede that one to you.

The Peron Government in Argentina is another example, he was a fascist who was elected.  Salvador Allende in Chile was a Marxist who was also voted into power.  Are you just counting all of SA as one?

Offline JohnMatrix

there may not have been an actual invasion, but what did you think the cold war was all about?

it was an ideological conflict.  The people in E. Germany did want a change from their Authoritarian government.  They rose up and changed it.  Do you think that if a majority of the people in china actually rose up against their government today, instead of a handful of students, that they would try to suppress them in the same manner?