Author Topic: Trump: The New Churchill  (Read 500 times)

Offline RushBabe4Life

• Probationary (Probie)
Trump: The New Churchill
« on: August 24, 2021, 03:42:35 PM »
Trump: The New Churchill
No one has been more prescient about what a Biden presidency would mean for America than Donald Trump.
by JEFFREY LORD
August 24, 2021, 12:24 AM

The contrast could not have been greater.

There was former President Donald J. Trump in Alabama on Saturday night. He was crisp, to the point, and defiant.

Then there was President Joe Biden. The bumbling president has come under attack for his disasters in Afghanistan, at the southern border, and more. A combination of American media figures and politicians across the ideological divide are shocked by the disaster in Afghanistan. This is not to mention that Biden’s Afghanistan incompetence has infuriated American allies. The British Parliament went out of its way to hold Biden in contempt for his withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan. What Biden did, the MP’s said, was “catastrophic” and “shameful.”

The contrast between Trump and Biden reminds the historically aware of the now-legendary tale of a scorned Winston Churchill in the 1930s, who warned the country and the world that Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin and his successor, Neville Chamberlain — leaders of Churchill’s own Conservative Party — were repeatedly ignoring the deadly serious threat building in Germany.

As events moved on, Churchill would pillory Baldwin for his refusal to re-arm Britain even as Hitler was building up the Nazi arsenal. Chamberlain, upon taking office, arrogantly informed his own brother, an earlier foreign minister, that he would serve as his own foreign minister. Why? Because in Joe Biden-style, Neville Chamberlain arrogantly believed he was such an expert on the subject that only he could lead. His brother Austen, himself having served earlier in the job, chided him, saying: “Neville, you must remember you don’t know anything about foreign affairs.” Which is precisely what so many Americans are now saying, too late and at much cost, of Biden.

More at link.

I never really considered any similarities between President Trump & Winston Churchill before. In this context I definitely see them. Reading the history of the time I know that he had his detractors, but through the prism of history it's hard to imagine Churchill receiving anything close to the kind of hate and vitriol directed at President Trump.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Trump: The New Churchill
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »
Well, after WWII (hell, it was barely over), the voters turned against Churchill. They figured he was a wartime PM and didn't have the chops to manage a country pretty well ravaged by the war.

They were wrong, and Churchill came back to office in the mid-50s, IIRC.

British politics aren't nearly as vitriolic as we've gotten to be, even with Nigel Farage and Brexit. Always a bit of decorum which is in very short supply here in the US.

For example, the word "lie" was never, ever used by politicians and especially the media, even when it was obvious that lies were told. The lies are even more blatant now, and even the media use the term rather than the watered-down version of "misspeak," "incorrect," "wrong" and other adjectives.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 09:00:05 PM »
If Donald Trump is the new Winston Churchill then we can call Gropey Joe Biden the new Neville Chamberlain. How long before we see Gropey Joe hold up the piece of paper that the Taliban leader signed claiming he has returned from Afghanistan bringing peace with honour, believing it's peace for our time.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 04:59:21 PM »
My college thesis would either be 'Would President Trump Be The Kind Of Leader Who'd Authorize The Development & Wartime Application Of The Armored Tank ?'

or

Would Prime Minister Churchill Have Been The Kind Of Leader Who'd Authorize The Research & Funding Of Operation Warpspeed ?'

and the conclusions would be  "Yeah. "  It's the only tangible thing I can compare the two on in a capsulized form.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 03:43:41 AM »
My college thesis would either be 'Would President Trump Be The Kind Of Leader Who'd Authorize The Development & Wartime Application Of The Armored Tank ?'

or

Would Prime Minister Churchill Have Been The Kind Of Leader Who'd Authorize The Research & Funding Of Operation Warpspeed ?'

and the conclusions would be  "Yeah. "  It's the only tangible thing I can compare the two on in a capsulized form.

Good comparison. While I struggled with the Space Force concept, there's another example. Trump made it happen.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.