Author Topic: Feel the love and compassion for the struggling middle class..  (Read 1957 times)

Offline terry

Feel the love and compassion for the struggling middle class..
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
Life after a six figure salary

Liberal_in_LA  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 03:05 AM
Original message
Life after a six-figure salary

Advertisements [?]
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/01/news/economy/pay_cuts/i...

Life after a six-figure salary

--------
Shaun Chedister, 30, is one of those people. Chedister was laid off from his job at Washington Mutual at the end of last year. After eight months of actively looking for work to help support his wife and four children, he accepted an offer from Ernst & Young even though the new position as an executive administrator paid less than half of what he was making before.

"My unemployment had run out, and I had to get something," he explained.

But the adjustment to making $66,000 a year from $125,000 has been hard. "For the last four to five years I'd been making six figures," Chedister said. "My lifestyle had been at a certain level."

Now Chedister said he's looking for a more affordable home. Last week one of the family's cars was repossessed after he got behind on the payments.

-----

After Jarrod Posner, 34, was laid off from his $110,000-a-year job as a mortgage lender for D.R. Horton, he had to change careers to find employment. After months of looking he took a job as an enrollment counselor at the University of Phoenix - a position that paid $33,000.

"I was actually thankful because I was getting a job, but at the same time my wife and I realized we had to make a lot of lifestyle changes," Posner said.

Since then, the Posners, who have two children, foreclosed on their home, moved into a rental property, downgraded from two cars to one and learned how to budget, he said. They've also given up their telephone and cable TV package. "All the little luxuries we don't enjoy anymore," he said.

Some irony in the responses..

chucktaylor  (128 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 03:35 AM
Response to Original message
6. Boo flippin Hoo

A personal safety net. since you have the income, is a smart idea.

revolve  (245 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 03:55 AM
9. **** em

Learn to budget. There are a lot of people doing a lot worse. I do not feel sorry for them in the least. **** em

PAVet4Murtha  Donating Member  (971 posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 04:12 AM
12. He looks like a college republiCON!

Shaun Chedister's new job pays $66,000, a far cry from the $125,000 he was making before.

stlsaxman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 07:45 AM
21. Welcome to the Real World, motherf*ckers...

and a big boo hoo to them.

"For the last four to five years I'd been making six figures," Chedister said. "My lifestyle had been at a certain level."

What pisses me off most is that they went on unemployment compensation... didn't they save a penny?!?!?

Boo ****ing hoo...

Bobby Zimmerman had it right-

"the First Ones now
will later be last
for the times they are a-changin'"

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Feel the love and compassion for the struggling middle class..
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:41 AM »
The primitives are forgetting something here.

If one goes from a $125,000-a-year job down to a $66,000-a-year job, that means one pays less in taxes.

Less tax revenue, less money available for social services spending.

You get my drift.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »
What the DUmp idiots miss and will never understand is that these folks have accepted the setbacks in life and are moving forward to make the best of things.

All that DUmmies do is whine about their own and celebrate someone elses misfortune.
Not once will they do anything to change life as it happens to them.

Every evil and poisonous aspect of human nature has found its home in the heart of the far left.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »

If one goes from a $125,000-a-year job down to a $66,000-a-year job, that means one pays less in taxes.

You get my drift.
DUmmies aren't really capable of thinking anything through.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline terry

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

You get my drift.

Not only is there less tax paid, but a more inexperienced, less skilled person will not have the $66,000 job or the $33,000 job open to them.   The folks on the bottom will just get pushed out.

Offline terry

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »
I think the assumption that many of them make that these folks are republican is interesting.   There is nothing in the article about political affiliation.

They don't even see it themselves, but they are admitting.   If you are doing well or if you were doing well, you must be a republican.   Makes you think they would want to join us.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:47:06 AM »
I think the assumption that many of them make that these folks are republican is interesting.   There is nothing in the article about political affiliation.

They don't even see it themselves, but they are admitting.   If you are doing well or if you were doing well, you must be a republican.   Makes you think they would want to join us.

Well, if you are making $66k/year or even *gasp* $125k/year you MUST be an evil rethuglican ..... I mean ... that's almost a MILLION dollars!!

They all operate from the perspective of the Little Rascals.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline terry

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »
I didn't notice before but the homeless bobbolink is in the thread

azmouse  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 12:35 PM
46. The assumptions made about a six figure income here are astounding.

My husband has been earning over six figures for many years. We have a nice house but not a McMansion. We have cars that are 14 years old and 9 years old. Our one extravagance is a 2002 Corvette, long paid for. We have saved a lot of money over the years only to see 30% of it lost in the stock market drop this year. I wish we had spent it on designer handbags instead of Target specials; spent it on fancy vacations instead vacationing at home; spent it on anything besides thinking we were doing the right thing by saving only to see it go down the drain with nothing to show for it because of this lousy economy.

My husband is an electrical engineer. He designs the chips that go the electronics that you all enjoy. The jobs like his are going overseas to people who will work slave wages. He doesn't know where he will work when his job goes away. Many like my husband are not responsible for the economic trouble facing everyone today, they are victims of it.

He did everything the right way. He got a good education, worked hard, saved money and enjoyed life.... and the rug is being pulled out from under him.

So before you gloat to much about high salary people losing their jobs realize many of these people did the right things in life.
Not all are Republicans, not all lived above their means. They are your neighbors and your family.

bobbolink  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 03:36 PM
Response to Reply #46
104. You're soooo right... you have it much worse than those of us living in our cars.

:eyes:

And, of course WE did all the WRONG things, didn't we, or we wouldn't be where we are?

bobbolink  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 04:35 PM
Response to Reply #110
127. Of course I don't get it... I"m just a stoooopid lazy homeless person

who did all the "wrong" things.

"You're hopeless." Thank you for your "progressive" proclaimations.

And, of course, I lack "sympathy". I'm just a no-good bum.

Feel better now?

bobbolink  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 05:13 PM
Response to Reply #136
143. Yet, you don't want to understand.

You see, MANY of us did all those things, and ended up screwn.

BUT, where are you with working for changes that would actually make our lives liveable?

I repeat... your name shows up NOWHERE on the poverty posts, requesting emails/phone calls for legislative changes.

Yet, you want us to feel bad because you are surviving on a 6 figure income?

You try understanding us for a change, and then maybe you'd see the whole party not going down the drain.

Many of us have come to the conclusion that the only way you're going to get it is when you hurt as badly as we do.

When it matters to you who is dying because of being ignored and uncared for by the friggin' Dem party and the "progressives" who do all the right things.

bobbolink  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 05:19 PM
Response to Reply #136
146. Here's your chance.

Be willing to read, put your name on a thread that is asking you to understand the reality, and the opportunity to take some real action.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

bobbolink  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 04:38 PM
Response to Reply #115
129. You got that right! You "lost the class war"... because it's all about

the upper-middle class who are "struggling", and you don't have any use for those of us below that.

The uppification of the Democratic party ... has created that divide.

Enemy? That's your word, not mine. BUT when I start seeing your name on the many poverty threads here, and see you willing to take action, then the divide will lessen.

Until then, take comfort in your superiority.

Put your name in a thread---->  cure poverty   :whatever:

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »
azmouse...what are you doing voting Democrat anyway?   :mental: :mental:

:lmao:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:49:45 AM »
Enemy? That's your word, not mine. BUT when I start seeing your name on the many poverty threads here, and see you willing to take action, then the divide will lessen.

And when I ****ing see you trying to do something to help and better yourself other then bitching on an Internet forum of the hopeless I will think about caring.

Wanna bet who wins that one DUmbass?  :censored:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »
bobbolink  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Jan-02-09 04:35 PM
Response to Reply #110
127. Of course I don't get it... I"m just a stoooopid lazy homeless person

who did all the "wrong" things.

"You're hopeless." Thank you for your "progressive" proclaimations.

And, of course, I lack "sympathy". I'm just a no-good bum.

Feel better now?

Man, bobbolink nailed itself there didn't it?!

I love how bobbo calls all of em out for not being progressive or liberal if they don't give it some money or offer to buy it a new car to sleep in.   :rotf:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »
I get it--we're heartless and mean if we don't just enable stupid people who do stupid shit the tools to repeat their mistakes ad infinitum.

Got it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »
Gawd, Bobbolink is such an asshole. Someone should steal her car.
F'in moron.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 01:02:05 PM »
So I'm guessing as often as it posts bobolink spends most of its day in a library because if one is forced to live in one's car the last thing one should be wasting one's money on is a monthly Internet bill just so one can spend hours posting on a political message board. Better to put one's meager funds into buying gas to get to the employment office to look for a job, buying a newspaper to look through the help wanted section, showering at the Y, getting a haircut, and cleaning one's clothes so one can be presentable when interviewing. Because I'm sure if this creature expects our pity we can rest assured it's doing everything it can to secure employment but in spite of its noble efforts has suffered oppression at the hands of evil right-wing corporations who refuse to hire hard-working but homeless Americans...well, I guess it could have a job and be posting from work because the evil right-wing employer doesn't pay enough for it to afford rent, even if it was to share with one or two other people...right?

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 01:21:54 PM »
Wow - The bobbly one is even angrier than normal. 

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 01:34:21 PM »
Zodiak Ironfist   (1000+ posts)        Fri Jan-02-09 01:41 PM
Response to Reply #28
65. Do you remember the Bankruptcy Bill argument here on DU?
 Half of the posts were people bragging about how they have their financial house in order while looking down their nose at those that did not. They saw no problem in the change of laws because it punished deadbeats. There was little attempt made by these people to see the situation from another perspective other than self-righteousness.

...and of course with the Dems help, the bill passed....and ruined our economy. Since the debate was confined to whether "deadbeats" deserve a break or not, opposition to the bill had little chance. No one cared about medical issues, divorce, etc......punish the deadbeats was the mantra of the day.

I personally do not understand the knee-jerk need to preen oneself while denigrating others, but alas, it apparently is part of our culture and knows no political lines.

Those that still engage in this behavior have obviously learned nothing about the ill effects of their attitude towards their fellow Americans, even with our economy in shambles around us.

:lmao:  What a stretch!!  The bankruptcy bill killed the economy, (it had nothing to do with the years and years of inflated home prices caused by the CRA)...and DUmpMonkeys are to blame!!   :rotf: :rotf:

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 01:37:52 PM »
PAVet4Murtha  (971 posts)       Fri Jan-02-09 04:12 AM
12. He looks like a college republiCON!

{image from cnn.net, not DU}
Shaun Chedister's new job pays $66,000, a far cry from the $125,000 he was making before.

thecatburgler  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jan-02-09 12:21 PM
Response to Reply #12
42. Four kids and he's only 30. 
 Fundie or LDS most likely. Fits the Repuke profile to a tee.

F*** him.

Maine-ah  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jan-02-09 01:35 PM
Response to Reply #42
64. huh, by the time my parents were 30
 they had 4 kids, I was the last. Life long democrats too.

thecatburgler  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jan-02-09 01:43 PM
Response to Reply #64
66. That was then. 
 This is now.

In 2008, if you have 4 kids and you are 30 or under, you are almost definitely a fundie and a Republican. And your name is probably Palin

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »
I personally do not understand the knee-jerk need to preen oneself while denigrating others, but alas, it apparently is part of our culture and knows no political lines.

At yet all those engaged in the preen-and-jerk are those complaining about their poverty, as if it were some kind of moral merit badge.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »
Response to Reply #64
66. That was then. 
 This is now.

In 2008, if you have 4 kids and you are 30 or under, you are almost definitely a fundie and a Republican. And your name is probably Palin.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Every time you think you have heard the stupidest thing that could possibly be said the primitives deliver another.

Uhmmm no,from what I have seen if you have 4 kids and you are 30 or under then you are either...

• A responsible Republican who is successful and making their way through life with Gods blessing of a loving partner.
  • A live for the moment lib that doesn`t give a rat about the kids and or if a guy their mother (s) and expects the gov to take care of them.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
azmouse...what are you doing voting Democrat anyway?   :mental: :mental:

:lmao:

I'm wondering what the bobbling primitive is doing trying to appeal to Democrats/liberals/progressives when I read stuff like this .....

Quote from:
bobbolink

When it matters to you who is dying because of being ignored and uncared for by the friggin' Dem party and the "progressives" who do all the right things.

He freely admits the Dems turn a blind eye to the homeless, yet he somehow clings to some unsubstantiated hope that one day they'll change their spots, and all the while he plays into their hands of knowing they'll never have to.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
Response to Reply #64
66. That was then.
 This is now.

In 2008, if you have 4 kids and you are 30 or under, you are almost definitely a fundie and a Republican. And your name is probably Palin. 

Visit the ghetto sometime, dipshit.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »
So I'm guessing as often as it posts bobolink spends most of its day in a library because if one is forced to live in one's car the last thing one should be wasting one's money on is a monthly Internet bill just so one can spend hours posting on a political message board. Better to put one's meager funds into buying gas to get to the employment office to look for a job, buying a newspaper to look through the help wanted section, showering at the Y, getting a haircut, and cleaning one's clothes so one can be presentable when interviewing. Because I'm sure if this creature expects our pity we can rest assured it's doing everything it can to secure employment but in spite of its noble efforts has suffered oppression at the hands of evil right-wing corporations who refuse to hire hard-working but homeless Americans...well, I guess it could have a job and be posting from work because the evil right-wing employer doesn't pay enough for it to afford rent, even if it was to share with one or two other people...right?

Cindie

Yehhhh, I'm thinkin' prolly not.

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.