Author Topic: How should the constitution be fixed?  (Read 6066 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
How should the constitution be fixed?
« on: September 27, 2019, 08:11:35 AM »
Star Member cab67 (1,129 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212509886

When this nightmare ends, the constitution should be amended to make sure this never happens again. But how?

Some needed amendments are obvious. The electoral college has to go. Partisan gerrymandering has to be abolished. Citizens United has to be overturned.

But I think additional amendments are needed:

1. The president's power to pardon should not be absolute. Presidents should not be able to pardon people whose crimes occurred during their administration, for example. I also think presidents should be barred from pardoning previous presidents. The "let's move forward" attitude has done real damage to the Republic.

2. There needs to be clarity on whether a sitting president can be indicted.

3. Presidents should also be unable to interfere with independent counsels.

thoughts?

Oh, this won't come back to bite them in the ass...

cynatnite (30,416 posts)

12. The 2nd amendment is the only one I would fix...

****ing commas!

DrToast (4,771 posts)

2. Eliminate the Senate and Electoral College

That would solve like 95% of the problems.

maxsolomon (19,770 posts)

6. I wouldn't mind a Senate that is proportionally representative.

VT, MT, WY get 1 Senator, CA gets 10. that sort of proportion. break the stranglehold of the rural states on the Legislative Branch.

Mike Nelson (5,950 posts)

3. Those are changes...

... worth considering. I would like an ERA passage, but an even more inclusive one... something saying that people here must be treated fairly, with specific language about men/women, gay/straight, ethnic groups, religious beliefs...

qazplm135 (3,011 posts)

9. the one real wish is to go back in time and make it explicit that the Founders intended the Constitution to be a living document that grows and changes with the times. Not some "universal and timeless" document that covers all possible issues for all time.

cos dem (358 posts)

28. Some ideas...

1. Money is not speech
2. Corporations are not people
3. Gun regulations are not forbidden.
4. The idea of citizen militias is obsolete.
5. Electoral college is gone.
6. Presidents can be indicted.
7. Advice and consent means if you don't vote on someone's appointment, you have given implied consent.
8. Supreme court justices serve for 18 years, with staggered terms, that's it. Each president normally gets 2 appointments per term (other than extras required for retirements or death).

kurtcagle (188 posts)

32. Reconstitute judiciary.

* Move attorney general and DOJ to the judicial branch.
* Senate and House must approve judicial appointments.
* Enlarge SCOTUS to 19 members.
* SCOTUS term limited to 12 years.
* Eliminate "acting" appointmen's in the executive department. Any position that remains in acting status for more than three months shall be considered as approved by Congress.
* Make SCOTUS a non-party affiliated elected position.
* Overturn Citizens United.
* Institute votes of no confidence, which would force a new election if house and,senate pass 60% threshold.
* Make pardon power subject to approval by Congress.

Most of these are not covered by the Constitution.

smb (1,256 posts)

33. My List

1. Remove Electoral College
2. Base House representation on actual number of voters in previous decade's elections (penalizes vote suppression, rewards vote facilitation).
3. Time limit for Senate confirmation decisions -- failure to vote yea or nay within a reasonable period (120 days?) counts as "yea".
4. Mechanism for reining in pardon power (perhaps 2/3 vote to nullify a pardon).

Star Member GulfCoast66 (7,641 posts)

37. Scrap the whole thing except the amendments.

We need a 1000 seat Parliament with a prime minister. Sound like too many? Germany with less than a 3rd of our population has over 700.

Yeah, I know I’m dreaming. But I love dropping my hope on my conservative Acquaintances. Heads explode. Too many Americans see the constitution as holy, like the Bible. It was good for it’s time. No longer works.

Star Member LiberalFighter (38,293 posts)

42. Simplist would be to ban Republicans.

NewJeffCT (53,809 posts)

58. My thoughts

1) Results of FBI background check is made public for President and VP, as well as a summary of health records.

2) Make it mandatory for candidates for federal office to disclose their past several years of tax returns. If the candidate has had any financial issues like bankruptcy, all documents related to the bankruptcy must be disclosed.

3) Presidents that override the FBI on security clearances must clearly document that it was on their authority and note WHY it was needed.

4) Citizens United must be overturned - all donors to political candidates & causes should be disclosed.

5) Mandatory that investments/businesses are placed in a blind trust. Fines and then mandatory seizure/selloff are ways to enforce.

6) Fines and mandatory divestment as a way to enforce Emoluments.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: How should the constitution be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 08:37:16 AM »
In summary, all their hopes and dreams boil down to "Burn down the Reichstag!!"

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 08:37:34 AM »
Remember when they at least pretended they weren't communists?
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:49:54 AM »
Star Member LiberalFighter (38,293 posts)

42. Simplist (sic) would be to ban Republicans.

Gee whiz. Where did I hear THAT before?
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 09:51:15 AM »
Remember when they at least pretended they weren't communists?

The good old days.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 10:44:36 AM »
Other than repealing the Seventeenth Amendment, nothing.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
Round up all the liberals, progressives and illegals and pack them off to Iran. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
Round up all the liberals, progressives and illegals and pack them off to Iran. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'd ship them off to Venezuela. Then I'd evict the League of Nations Part 2....er, the UN, from the US and turn that eyesore into low income housing.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 03:03:44 PM »
When this nightmare ends, the constitution should be amended to make sure this never happens again.

What is "this" that you never want to happen again?  A Washington outsider getting elected?  A Republican beating the democrat candidate?  Someone who puts the United States and the safety and security of it's citizens ahead of other interests?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 05:43:10 PM »
Repeal the 16th and 17th.  Explicitly forbid taxation on income from whatever lawful source.  Tax consumption at point of sale-- for all items, including food.  Make the tax rate part of each years' budget.  Require a budget.  No budget, no government; everybody locks the doors and goes home.

Rewrite the Bill of Rights in updated language.  For example: in the First, say "establishing a single approved religion" instead of "respecting an establishment of religion", and double-underline the bit about not prohibiting free exercise; in the Second, delete the militia clause and say "weapons of all kinds" instead of "arms" (we're close to having some ass say that nobody's trying to cut anybody's upper limbs off, so their "arms" are safe).  Add the right of the People to accuse governments at all levels of violating them, and individual governmental agents of facilitating the violation, with harsh penalties attached .
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »
They fail to realize that the authoritarian marxist government they yearn for will shoot them first. 

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 11:13:40 PM »
They fail to realize that the authoritarian marxist government they yearn for will shoot them first.

I'm not seeing a downside to that...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 03:39:12 AM »
I'm not seeing a downside to that...

First, there has to be an authoritarian marxist government.

Over my dead body.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Delmar

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »
One after another these stupid children chime in with their dumb ideas, all of them thinking that they know better than the founders.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
One after another these stupid children chime in with their dumb ideas, all of them thinking that they know better than the founders.

And their "dumb ideas" prove the wisdom of the founders.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »
Star Member cab67 (1,129 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212509886

Oh, stick in something about allowing us to shoot on sight anyone who wants to amend anything in the Bill of Rights or eliminate the Electoral College.  That would clean up a lot of trash.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 12:00:42 PM »
Didn't bother rowing over to that cesspool, but surprised they didn't mention reinstating the Fairness Doctrine.  That tends to be one of their big pet issues.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Karin

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 08:09:11 PM »
Star Member ecstatic (25,499 posts)

We need some sort of fairness doctrine because the lies and propaganda being put out by the right is very dangerous at this point.

There ya go.  I rowed over to see if there was any sanity there, and I detected 1%, one or two people pointing out how hard it is to change the Constitution.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 10:55:42 PM »
The USC is just fine.  We need to remove the 17th and 19th amendments.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.