Author Topic: Last night there was a severe thunderstorm. The Digital TV signal went out entir  (Read 5135 times)

Offline Airwolf

Shhhhh Don't tell them to buy radios. You want them to find out about the VRWC weather test? 
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

This clown isn't talking about satellite TV he's complaining about over the air broadcast digital.  He's right that digital TV is all or nothing, you have a picture or you don't but I think the story is BS.

I don't know if anyone here tried it but it's great.  I have satellite through the rest of the house and a TV with rabbit ears in the office.  I can almost get 3 or 4 analog stations (they're more snow than picture) but i get 17 digital channels all with a crystal clear picture and several of them in high def.

Which is why I think it's another bullshit story.  I haven't seen any degradation from bad weather and the simple fix is GET A BETTER ANTENNA.

That is the way I interpreted the problem as well.....the DUmmie is receiving a terrestrial DTV signal, which is no more or less susceptible to rain fade as an analog signal, except for what is called the "cliff effect".  Cliff effect in DTV is where the signal degrades to a point where the receiver is no longer able to assemble a picture, therefore it reverts to a "Black screen" until it begins receiving enough data packets to assemble a picture again on the screen.....frequently just before the "cliff", the picture will pixellate, or "freeze" momentarily, then go to black.  The principle is the same as with digital satellite reception, except when viewing a terrestrial broadcast the transmitter power levels are vastly higher than those from a satellite.

I work in the business, and we rarely encounter a situation such as the one that the DUmmie describes due to storm activity......I suspect that one of the following events happened during the storm......

!.  Broadcasters now (in order to save on capital expense) have developed "combined facilities", where four or five or more completely separate TV stations transmit their signals from a single facility, with one tower holding multiple antennas.  In a situation like this, a severe storm may knock out the power to this large facility, which will take all of the transmitters for several stations off the air.  Most of us have auxiliary generators, but some don't, and if the site has one generator, and it fails to start (which they occasionally do, Murphy's Law).....everyone is again....SOL, until the power comes back on.

2. The DUmmie lives in a "fringe" area, and is too cheap to purchase an adequate antenna for DTV......if using a poor antenna, which is operating on the ragged edge of producing enough signal under optimal conditions, you might go to black during a storm, but a well designed antenna should work through any atmospheric activity, due to the fact that DTV signals are very robust especially if you are receiving them in the "A-grade" signal area, which is anywhere within approximately a 20-mile radius circle around the transmission site.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
What a moron.  A weather radio is a must have item.

I use the old Indian weather rock.

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Miss Mia

What a moron.  A weather radio is a must have item.

I use the old Indian weather rock.

:rofl:

H5
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lauri

What "financial safety nets" have been gutted?  Seriously.  When?  I like good news.  How did I miss it?

i just found out at a Safeway, no less, that the DARE ("DARE to keep your kids of drugs") program was cut out here in our area. apparently, they now get no govt dollars to run that stellar service for our kids and the girl was there asking for donations.

so i politely asked her, "dont my taxes pay for drug education in the public schools still?"

blank stare..

i dont even have kids in public school anymore and i know the answer is a resounding, "YES" ..

Offline Lauri

Yep, satellite signals get rather degraded when you have heavy cloud cover.  Nope, there isn't much that can be done about it.  Satellites only have so much power available to them.  It is possible to put up a commercial satellite fleet with more transmission power available, but it would cost a great deal more.  He should have a battery powered radio of some sort available living in a tornado or hurricane zone anyway, that's just basic gear, AM/FM should do.

Why exactly is this DUmmie admitting to signal piracy?  If the DUmmie had built these boxes that would be one thing, but you just know he didn't.  His retarded post proves that.

we have almost every electronic gizmo in this house - but when it comes to weather issues, its just best to have a wind up radio. or battery powered radio. someone who lives in an area that has hectic weather (um, that's every single one of us) should know what the basics are for survival by the time they're 20..

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
I think DARE has been dropped most places.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Lauri

I think DARE has been dropped most places.

well, thats good to know :-)