Author Topic: Last night there was a severe thunderstorm. The Digital TV signal went out entir  (Read 5136 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3724720

Firespirit  (1000+ posts)        Sun Aug-03-08 05:16 PM
Original message
Last night there was a severe thunderstorm. The Digital TV signal went out entirely.
   Advertisements [?]

A severe thunderstorm producing pretty much everything except tornadoes passed through my area last night rather unexpectedly. We just pick up the free signals, no $100 cable or satellite bill for financial reasons, and this was the first major storm to come through since we installed those converter boxes.

The electricity never went out during the storm, somehow. However the digital signal, on all channels (we're able to pick up 10-12) went out. With analog it would have been fuzzy, but you at least would have been able to see and hear if, for example, they announced a tornado warning. With the digital transmission, there was nothing. Evidently this is how the technology works; you get a perfect picture or a black screen.

I could disconnect the digital box and pick up the analog signal last night to find out if, you know, it was OK to walk around in the house, or if I needed to get to the tornado shelter spot. Next spring, next tornado season, when TV goes fully digital, no one will have that luxury. Looks like you'll have to pay to get public safety information, and if you can't, then when your area is being hit by a storm and it decides to drop a funnel when the poor man's DTV signal is out, you're SOL.

As far as I am concerned, it is a public hazard. No matter how nice the picture, or how many bells and whistles DTV may have when it works, if it makes it harder to broadcast public warnings to EVERYONE with TV -- not just those who can afford cable -- it is a downgrade.

Is there any way to get the FCC to mandate more robust DTV signals be used?

A thief demanding that the government provide for their wishes??
Couldn`t happen on DU could it.? :-)

Firespirit  (1000+ posts)        Sun Aug-03-08 05:27 PM
Response to Reply #1
2. It's a $60 antenna, and I guess you missed the part about no spare cash just lying around.
   There's this thing on called a downturn, and it's actually affecting many people's wallets.

Your deep, abiding concern is noted, however.

Also, analog pass-through won't help when all TV broadcasting goes digital, next year, right before tornado season. Last night wasn't a huge deal. Next year is a very serious concern for me.

Firespirit  (1000+ posts)        Sun Aug-03-08 05:37 PM
Response to Reply #4
6. I'm afraid I may have to set aside a fund for a weather radio
   This pay-to-survive world makes me sick, however, especially since so many financial safety nets have been gutted.

Small thread but a boring day on the island and one more thing that reveals the inner soul of a primitive.
It is always about what they want for themselves.

modified by franksolich to correct minor problem with link
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:57:55 PM by franksolich »

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
Firespirit  (1000+ posts)        Sun Aug-03-08 05:37 PM
Response to Reply #4
6. I'm afraid I may have to set aside a fund for a weather radio
   This pay-to-survive world makes me sick, however, especially since so many financial safety nets have been gutted.
A financial safety net is one thing, a lifestyle based entirely on that safety net is immoral, parasitic, and criminal.
You get what you pay for, sucker.
So much for that liberal rallying cry of "The government needs to do something!".
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Lord Undies

What "financial safety nets" have been gutted?  Seriously.  When?  I like good news.  How did I miss it?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
What "financial safety nets" have been gutted?  Seriously.  When?  I like good news.  How did I miss it?

I dunno.

Don't the budget numbers show that under George Bush, social spending has increased at a rate that would make Franklin Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson reel in wonderment and envy?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Vagabond

Yep, satellite signals get rather degraded when you have heavy cloud cover.  Nope, there isn't much that can be done about it.  Satellites only have so much power available to them.  It is possible to put up a commercial satellite fleet with more transmission power available, but it would cost a great deal more.  He should have a battery powered radio of some sort available living in a tornado or hurricane zone anyway, that's just basic gear, AM/FM should do.

Why exactly is this DUmmie admitting to signal piracy?  If the DUmmie had built these boxes that would be one thing, but you just know he didn't.  His retarded post proves that.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator

I dunno.

Don't the budget numbers show that under George Bush, social spending has increased at a rate that would make Franklin Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson reel in wonderment and envy?

Social safety net to DUmmy--------> Everything I wish for provided for free.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
I pay for Dish and still lose channels when it storms....Snow is reALLY FUN.. :tongue:
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Lord Undies

I pay for Dish and still lose channels when it storms....Snow is reALLY FUN.. :tongue:

I had DishNetwork for six years.  It went out every time a bird flew by.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
"Firespirit" (Pretty fierce name for a deadbeat loser.)

Emergency Weather Radios go for about 20$.

If you can't set aside $20 bucks please kill yourself now so I can stop paying for your worthless ass out of my taxes. 

Oh wait...

Firespirit  (1000+ posts)      Sun Aug-03-08 07:52 PM
Response to Reply #10
11. I didn't realize they were that cheap
 We got two rebate coupons for the boxes, so they ended up being very cheap, and $20 for DSL is obviously not a problem... just can't justify cable in a household where no one really watches much TV in the first place.

These weather radios, do the broadcasts describe in realtime where the spots of bad hail, winds, rotation, etc., are? The local TV station puts up hi-res radar maps with these features labeled. It's incredibly useful. I know how to find these radars online as well, I'm something of a weather geek, but DSL goes out in bad weather and I don't want to be dicking around with the modem (and computer motherboard!) when there is lightning. Any notice of a warning is better than nothing, of course, but I'm just wondering how much detail they go into on the NWS broadcasts.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
DSL goes out in bad weather
How does that work? Does the moron have a satellite based DSL?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

What a moron.  A weather radio is a must have item.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Gee, what will the DUmmie do if he/she/it's TV stays off? Maybe be productive for once?

Naw!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
We just got rid of Dish after 4 years....now we have Direct....it doesn't go out as much, but it still goes if it rains too hard or storms too much.

I didn't know it could be pirated.... :censored: and how the hell is he getting DSL for $20? Mine's a heck of a lot more than that.... :censored:

Do Republicans get just charged more? ::)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Vagabond

Yes, it can be pirated. 

Usually, you need to pay cash for the equipment and then do some programming.  Other than that, it is just a signal being recieved.  That is piracy.

On the other hand if this moonbat had figured out how to build a box to recieve and decode the signals without looking at one of the company's boxes, that would be legit.

The moonbat displays a lack of basic RF communications knowledge, that tells me which of the above two he did.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Lord Undies

We just got rid of Dish after 4 years....now we have Direct....it doesn't go out as much, but it still goes if it rains too hard or storms too much.

I didn't know it could be pirated.... :censored: and how the hell is he getting DSL for $20? Mine's a heck of a lot more than that.... :censored:

I have been very happy with U-Verse.  If it is available in your area, it is worth the change.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator

I have been very happy with U-Verse.  If it is available in your area, it is worth the change.

It isn't...

We live in a small, private subdivision where the lots are from 1 acre to almost 9, and cable was never installed. All utilities are underground and there's no way anyone is going to pay for cable at this point. Plus it would be really expensive to get to many of the houses. We're almost 300 yards from the street, and the house is in like a small valley-like area surrounded by lots of trees, which also affects our reception.

I'd like to have cable more for the internet access than TV. ATT is not only expensive, it's slow too. :banghead:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Lord Undies

It isn't...

We live in a small, private subdivision where the lots are from 1 acre to almost 9, and cable was never installed. All utilities are underground and there's no way anyone is going to pay for cable at this point. Plus it would be really expensive to get to many of the houses. We're almost 300 yards from the street, and the house is in like a small valley-like area surrounded by lots of trees, which also affects our reception.

I'd like to have cable more for the internet access than TV. ATT is not only expensive, it's slow too. :banghead:

The only reason I was able to get U-Verse is because a lawsuit forced a revamp of the antiquated phone grid here.  They installed fiber optics since they were gonna have to do it anyway.  :)

I'm very happy wiith my AT&T U-verse "fast" wireless internet.  It isn't "flash" fast, but it's 100 times better than my old dial-up.  I'm not spending as much now either.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
It's all expensive.... :(

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
It's all expensive.... :(
I have wildblue..........cost's me 80 bucks a month.....It is well worth it, compared to my 20 dollar a month dial up!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Chris_

Heh, the DUmmie still doesn't realize just who controls the weather.   :fuelfire:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ScubaGuy

This clown isn't talking about satellite TV he's complaining about over the air broadcast digital.  He's right that digital TV is all or nothing, you have a picture or you don't but I think the story is BS.

I don't know if anyone here tried it but it's great.  I have satellite through the rest of the house and a TV with rabbit ears in the office.  I can almost get 3 or 4 analog stations (they're more snow than picture) but i get 17 digital channels all with a crystal clear picture and several of them in high def.

Which is why I think it's another bullshit story.  I haven't seen any degradation from bad weather and the simple fix is GET A BETTER ANTENNA.

25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline EastFacingNorth

• Math Geek
Yep, satellite signals get rather degraded when you have heavy cloud cover.  Nope, there isn't much that can be done about it.  Satellites only have so much power available to them.  It is possible to put up a commercial satellite fleet with more transmission power available, but it would cost a great deal more.  He should have a battery powered radio of some sort available living in a tornado or hurricane zone anyway, that's just basic gear, AM/FM should do.

Why exactly is this DUmmie admitting to signal piracy?  If the DUmmie had built these boxes that would be one thing, but you just know he didn't.  His retarded post proves that.

As near as I can tell, the DUmmie isn't talking about pirating satellite television, but about over-the-air digital transmissions.  You know, the stuff that will completely phase out plain ol' analog television transmissions next year.

You're right, though, that a cheap $5 transistor radio is all this DUmmie needs to keep appraised of weather.  If there is a tornado warning in effect, then every station in the area will announce that every few minutes.  A weather radio isn't necessary, nor is subscriber-service television.
Taxation if and only if Representation.

The Founding Fathers only got it half right.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.

I had DishNetwork for six years.  It went out every time a bird flew by.

Mine isn't quite that bad but I do lose a the signal sometimes when there is a thunderstorm with a lot of cloud cover, otherwise it's very reliable.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline DumbAss Tanker

So buy a radio, shithead.

:thatsright:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

You're channeling Tony Snow?

What's Heaven really like Tony?