Author Topic: Obama to Announce Free E-Books for Low-Income Kids  (Read 4296 times)

Offline redwhit

Re: Obama to Announce Free E-Books for Low-Income Kids
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »
Like the books on Project Gutenberg and similar sites, those books are OLD and not cool.

There might be some nasty stuff in some of those old books like self-sufficiency, the great strength that can come from faith, and how overly centralized power causes unnecessary suffering.

Hell, there might even be some stuff about how boys grow up into men and girls grow up into women and while both are important they aren't the same and shouldn't be.

Even worse, those books might even talk about the power of family and how for generations people always looked to relations for help before they would allow themselves the desperation of looking for others to feed them through taxes.

Old books probably don't have the required number of gay marriages, transexuals, welfare recipients, illegal immigrants, Christians being evil, Muslims being perfect, and Obama saving the world. 

By the way, do you know Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize?  And it wasn't even for attendance?

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »
There might be some nasty stuff in some of those old books like self-sufficiency, the great strength that can come from faith, and how overly centralized power causes unnecessary suffering.

Hell, there might even be some stuff about how boys grow up into men and girls grow up into women and while both are important they aren't the same and shouldn't be.

Even worse, those books might even talk about the power of family and how for generations people always looked to relations for help before they would allow themselves the desperation of looking for others to feed them through taxes.

Old books probably don't have the required number of gay marriages, transexuals, welfare recipients, illegal immigrants, Christians being evil, Muslims being perfect, and Obama saving the world. 

By the way, do you know Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize?  And it wasn't even for attendance?

Steinbeck's novel, "The Grapes of Wrath" come to mind.  The story of a family devastated by the depression and the dust bowl who picked up stakes and moved to California in search of  jobs, prosperity and self sufficiency rather than wallow in pity in their wrecked home, bitch about how oppressed they are and demand a hand out from the government.

Can't have the yutes of today reading about trash like that....
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »
They need to put a crank on the e book reader.  Make them work for it.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 01:46:17 PM »
They need to put a crank on the e book reader.  Make them work for it.

An "off the grid" reader......cool.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 03:06:33 PM »
They are low income but they have enough money to buy a device that can load and display an ebook.

I think obamaphones have that capability
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »

Not at a loss.
The full price customers are subsiding the "at a loss" customers.
Another variation on a theme of income redistribution.

I just think it's a smart idea on Apple's part. It's a right off and then they get future customers, if only just a percentage of those given the free items. And it's good publicity. Apple products are priced at what consumers are willing to pay, like most things in a capitalist society. I'm getting a product I want for my money so if they choose to use some of their profits giving away free ipads or whatever, so be it. I don't see how it's redistribution, though. When the money I pay in taxes is redistributed, I get nothing out of it. Here, I get a product I want and what the company chooses to use that money for is their business.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »
Doesn't Obama realize that you can't set an eBook on fire?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
Doesn't Obama realize that you can't set an eBook on fire?
No rioting at the eLibrary.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »
It is not, and never has been "free."

Someone always pays for it.

Usually innocents.

Said by some idiot DUchebag (birm).
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
I just think it's a smart idea on Apple's part. It's a right off and then they get future customers, if only just a percentage of those given the free items. And it's good publicity. Apple products are priced at what consumers are willing to pay, like most things in a capitalist society. I'm getting a product I want for my money so if they choose to use some of their profits giving away free ipads or whatever, so be it. I don't see how it's redistribution, though. When the money I pay in taxes is redistributed, I get nothing out of it. Here, I get a product I want and what the company chooses to use that money for is their business.

Cindie

I noticed on my phone bill I have to pay a tax to subsidize low income phone customers who "can't" pay their bill.
Same for gas and electric.
Water
Sewer
It seems like all the utilities are like that.
I see your point, and I also see my money going to fund people who didn't earn it.

It's like the pro bono attorney scheme.
If they didn't do pro bono work, their paying customers could be given a discount.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline jukin

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
I have not confirmed this but why do that in the age of state controlled media. King Barky the Liar of Fecal Touch is finding $250 million to fund this great idea. It is supposed to help 100,000 kids. That works out to $2500 per ebook reader. Talk about your Obama/democrat donation paying off.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
I have not confirmed this but why do that in the age of state controlled media. King Barky the Liar of Fecal Touch is finding $250 million to fund this great idea. It is supposed to help 100,000 kids. That works out to $2500 per ebook reader. Talk about your Obama/democrat donation paying off.

$250 million for $10 million in Kindles.

That's about how it would go if the Clinton Foundation handled it.

I hope Chelsea is planning to take care of Webb Hubbell in his old age.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »
I hope Chelsea is planning to take care of Webb Hubbell in his old age.

She'll make sure that his grave is well-maintained . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.