Author Topic: College Football (week 10)  (Read 4731 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

College Football (week 10)
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »
Games tonight and tomorrow are not the most impressive matchups but each night features a ranked team and this time of year that means something. The two biggest games (BCS-wise) are each on Saturday and sadly both kickoff at 3:30PM.

#3Alabama vs. #9LSU
#11Penn State vs. #15Ohio State
(links go to game previews, +video)

Cincinnati should not overlook UConn as the latter has lost some really close games with a ton of adversity. It ought to be a blowout (on paper) but all year the Bearcat's have had me wondering just how good they really are. Saturday nights game will not answer that question (unless they lose) but the answer is coming sooner rather than later.

Good luck sportsfans. We are going to get some BCS answers and or movement each week form now until the final regular season games.

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: College Football (week 10)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
Ready for Saturday.

Texas A&M (5-3) takes on the Colorado Buffaloes (2-6) and are going for 3 straight wins. I'd predict a blowout.

Also looking at UW (3-5) take on UCLA (3-5). Hoping the Dawgs pull a win, but then again, it's U-Dub. Not exactly a powerhouse. Though they did squeak by USC...
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »
OU at Nebraska, baby!
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:58 PM »
RS, I agree the two you picked are the biggies.

The Oklahoma at Nebraska game has my attention just because of the rivalry.  Also, the FSU at Clemson game could provide some sparks.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
RS, I agree the two you picked are the biggies.

The Oklahoma at Nebraska game has my attention just because of the rivalry.  Also, the FSU at Clemson game could provide some sparks.

I remember when Nebraska always played Oklahoma the day after Thanksgiving and the tickets were dearer than gold.....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »

Quote from: debk
I remember when Nebraska always played Oklahoma the day after Thanksgiving and the tickets were dearer than gold.....

Good ol' rivalry games. Can't beat em. I have to pull for the Sooners though I was sad to see Nebraska fall to Iowa State this year. It will be great when both teams are at their best again.

I'm sure I'll be watching Cincinnati as I don't have cable and the Bearcats kickoff at the same time as the Battle of the Big Reds. sigh. Why the Bearcats have been good the last few years is a geological oddity but it's also the home team. (if they don't win it's a shame)

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »

I'm sure I'll be watching Cincinnati as I don't have cable and the Bearcats kickoff at the same time as the Battle of the Big Reds. sigh. Why the Bearcats have been good the last few years is a geological oddity but it's also the home team. (if they don't win it's a shame)

We've talked about UC before....the other half is really hoping they get to go to a good bowl game.

UT's playing Memphis....it's UT's homecoming...so they try to pick someone they can beat... :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »
We've talked about UC before....the other half is really hoping they get to go to a good bowl game.

UT's playing Memphis....it's UT's homecoming...so they try to pick someone they can beat... :uhsure:

Didn't work out for em so well one year that Peyton was there...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »

Yeah, I recall. So far so good for "our" (me and your 'worse'-half?) Bearcats. The really should win Saturday. After that it will be a real fight and might take a loss or two from some other teams. (TCU, Boise State come to mind)

Really, they could lose the next four and go to a "good" bowl game but I expect we both have BCS Bowl on the brain for Cincy. I do wish Tennessee well too.

- Ayn Rand

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »
Didn't work out for em so well one year that Peyton was there...

It hasn't always worked.....usually when UT gets cocky and assumes they can beat Memphis with their hands tied behind their backs.

I don't think that attitude is present this year....

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »
OU at Nebraska, baby!

Ralphie's 10-star lock of the week....OU is only giving 4.5 points at Nebraska.  Bet your house on the Sooners! 

(Sorry Frank!)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
A little Schaudenfreude on my part (perk)...

....here's hoping that lil' team from Evanston surprises the Hawkeyes...and maybe LSU beats Alabama.

My Frogs need help people! :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
Go Ohio State.

Go Alabama.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 02:14:56 PM »
Ralphie's 10-star lock of the week....OU is only giving 4.5 points at Nebraska.  Bet your house on the Sooners! 

(Sorry Frank!)

My prediction:

Oklahoma 63, Nebraska 7.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »
My prediction:

Oklahoma 63, Nebraska 7.

ouch.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »

ouch.

I said, after Frank Solich was so rudely and unceremoniously fired, that it would take Nebraska circa 42 years to become great again.

I'll be an old man, but I hope to see it, but it's going to be a long time.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »
I said, after Frank Solich was so rudely and unceremoniously fired, that it would take Nebraska circa 42 years to become great again.

I'll be an old man, but I hope to see it, but it's going to be a long time.

It really is sad to see a team for so long at the pinnacle of the sport...to fall and still not be able to climb back up.

Is it recruiting or coaching or both?

I remember when Nebraska didn't do much recruiting....and they had walk-ons 3 deep....all from Nebraska high schools...it was every NE high school footballer's dream to play in Lincoln.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »

It really is sad to see a team for so long at the pinnacle of the sport...to fall and still not be able to climb back up.

Is it recruiting or coaching or both?

I remember when Nebraska didn't do much recruiting....and they had walk-ons 3 deep....all from Nebraska high schools...it was every NE high school footballer's dream to play in Lincoln.

The coaching and recruiting seems to be as good as it possibly can be.

The problem is the "attitude."  The now-departed athletic director who fired Frank Solich insisted "it was time" for Nebraska "to be like everybody else," rather than being Nebraska.  It created a whole new "culture."

When Nebraska was Nebraska, Nebraska was the terror of the football field; there was, and is, no reason for Nebraska to be anything but Nebraska.

The world-famous "walk on" program was one of the first casualties of this change, and that led to a "disconnect" between Nebraska and the football program.  Before, Nebraskans had always enjoyed a close affinity with the football program, because so many of their sons and grandsons had walked on.

The now-departed athletic director who fired Frank Solich insisted native Nebraskan talent was non-existent, and so it was better to look around where "everybody else" was looking around, for talent.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »
The coaching and recruiting seems to be as good as it possibly can be.

The problem is the "attitude."  The now-departed athletic director who fired Frank Solich insisted "it was time" for Nebraska "to be like everybody else," rather than being Nebraska.  It created a whole new "culture."

When Nebraska was Nebraska, Nebraska was the terror of the football field; there was, and is, no reason for Nebraska to be anything but Nebraska.

The world-famous "walk on" program was one of the first casualties of this change, and that led to a "disconnect" between Nebraska and the football program.  Before, Nebraskans had always enjoyed a close affinity with the football program, because so many of their sons and grandsons had walked on.

The now-departed athletic director who fired Frank Solich insisted native Nebraskan talent was non-existent, and so it was better to look around where "everybody else" was looking around, for talent.

And look what has happened to the program.

Why do people insist on making changes to things that work?

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »
Yeah, Steve Pederson. The guy is a colossal idiot/ass-kisser extraordinaire.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »

And look what has happened to the program.

Why do people insist on making changes to things that work?

You got me, madam.

And the now-gone athletic director was a native Nebraskan.

It was very sad about the near-ditching (it hasn't been totally eliminated, but pretty much so) of the "walk on" program.

Nebraska, given its small population, hasn't ever produced many "stars"--some, but not many--but the program gave us a wealth of second- and third-string talent, real depth.  And as a second- or third-stringer wants to be on the first string, the competition made the team even better.

The other thing was, as I mentioned, the "disconnect" between Nebraskans and the football program.  Just about everybody in Nebraska, including the six-man high schools, knew someone on the Nebraska football team.  If not a member of the family, then a next-door neighbor, or someone from the same high school, or someone from the same town.

That's not there any more.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
Iowa finally lost...finally.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »
The first few minutes of LSU and 'Bama is pretty good.  The Tide has run six plays--all pass plays.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
Iowa finally lost...finally.

I'm surprised it came at home to Northwestern but that's good news for my Buckeye's. (if they win today, just went up 10-7)

I hear ya BlueState. Both national games on here in my town. Thanks ABC & CBS.  :cheersmate:

- Ayn Rand

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 05:52:28 PM »
Da Buck, da Eye's, da hey hey. Hey hey hey hey.  :cheersmate:

wat??   :-) :-)

Sayonara Happy Valley!

- Ayn Rand