Author Topic: What Would Jesus Do If Invited to a Gay Wedding?  (Read 24823 times)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: What Would Jesus Do If Invited to a Gay Wedding?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
You sound very sure of your judgment.

"Make no mistake he was compassionate but also expected people to follow Gods law."

I seem to recall that Jesus made a habit of breaking the Hebrew Laws of the day (eg eating the sacrificial bread from the temple, toiling on the sabbath, etc.) and confounding the religious leaders with his excuse for doing so.

I personally think that godly people serve the will of god best when they look to their own walk and resist the temptation to pass judgment on the walk of another, regardless of the faults one perceives in another's progress.  I guess I trust my God to pass judgment where such judgment is called for; and in that trust I feel liberated in my approach to my fellow human being.
Not a judgment. An informed opinion.Have you looked lately at what over half of the people in this country have become? Or are you so afraid of offending the sensibilities of people who don't give a whit about the well being of you and yours that you choose not to "judge"? Do you have any principles at all?
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 07:11:57 AM »
Not a judgment. An informed opinion.Have you looked lately at what over half of the people in this country have become? Or are you so afraid of offending the sensibilities of people who don't give a whit about the well being of you and yours that you choose not to "judge"? Do you have any principles at all?

Could you possibly rephrase that in a way that resembles the English language so that I might adequately reply?
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 07:17:31 AM »
Oh! So you're saying that because one isn't part of the jewish temple the commandments don't apply to you? You honestly think that Christ only believed that jews were the only human beings who sinned?  So  you actually believe you can do whatever you want,not be sorry or remorseful about it even if it is against a commandment and still be ok with God? I sin everyday....every human being does. The difference as I have seen it between Christians and secularists is that secularists believe that nothing is greater than the human being. You are the beginning and the end. Christians believe that isn't so.  No one picked up a stone but someone touched a nerve apparently! Btw he actually told that woman who was about to be stoned to go and sin no more.Meaning she had sinned but it wasn't mans place to judge her it's Gods.Warning your fellow man about Gods judgement is not judging no matter what you may believe.It is an act of love.But I don't expect you to see that.

I have no idea how you arrived at the conclusion that I believe any of the things you attributed to me in your post.  I can only assume it's that judgmentalism thing again.  Care to explain?
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »
Could you possibly rephrase that in a way that resembles the English language so that I might adequately reply?
Nah! Wouldn't matter how I phrased anything.You're here to stir shit obviously. Carry on.

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
I have no idea how you arrived at the conclusion that I believe any of the things you attributed to me in your post.  I can only assume it's that judgmentalism thing again.  Care to explain?
Again...You're here to stir shit. Carry on. Not that important to me that you understand.

Offline ConservativeMobster

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
My sis is gay and has been that way from birth. I am 11 years older so I can remember things quite clearly and have no doubt about her orientation being lifelong. I also have many gay friends. For me, I can still love my sister and care deeply about my friends but to say I totally accept the lifestyle would be wrong. In a nutshell, I can hate the sin but not the sinner.
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
Do any of you believe the "science" that says people are born that way? (homosexual)

Very complicated. I have read that homosexuality is genetic, but only in men. However, it did not apply to Lesbian.

I have known gays who are against gay marriage. Yes, I do know gays.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:58:55 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
I seem to recall that Jesus made a habit of breaking the Hebrew Laws of the day

If he broke the Law of Moses, then he is a sinner and not the Son of God.

But he didn't break the law, you're wrong, and He is the Son of God.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:24:25 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 12:37:27 AM »
If he broke the Law of Moses, then he is a sinner and not the Son of God.

But he didn't break the law, you're wrong, and He is the Son of God.

So he didn't toil on Sabbath?  Sadly, scripture says that he did.  At any rate, it doesn't matter.  The point I have been trying to make, and one I believe Jesus would have agreed with, is that one would do better to focus on one's own walk than the walk of another.

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:15 AM »
Oh! So you're saying that because one isn't part of the jewish temple the commandments don't apply to you? You honestly think that Christ only believed that jews were the only human beings who sinned?  So  you actually believe you can do whatever you want,not be sorry or remorseful about it even if it is against a commandment and still be ok with God? I sin everyday....every human being does. The difference as I have seen it between Christians and secularists is that secularists believe that nothing is greater than the human being. You are the beginning and the end. Christians believe that isn't so.  No one picked up a stone but someone touched a nerve apparently! Btw he actually told that woman who was about to be stoned to go and sin no more.Meaning she had sinned but it wasn't mans place to judge her it's Gods.Warning your fellow man about Gods judgement is not judging no matter what you may believe.It is an act of love.But I don't expect you to see that.

If thinking all that makes you feel better as you try to sleep at night, then by all means go for it.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 04:47:59 AM »
Put down that stone for a sec and share an instance where Jesus pointed out the sin(s) of someone who was not part of the Jewish temple, the organized religion of the time and region.

Thanks.
The woman at the well was Samaritan, not Jewish, yet Jesus pointed out that she was not married to the man she was living with.  He did not expect Gentiles to follow Jewish Law, but that doesn't mean they aren't sinning.  

The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus [!] said to her, "You have correctly said, 'I have no husband'; for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly."

And there were many different "organized religions" at that time, but only a couple survived.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 04:55:37 AM »
You sound very sure of your judgment.

"Make no mistake he was compassionate but also expected people to follow Gods law."

I seem to recall that Jesus made a habit of breaking the Hebrew Laws of the day (eg eating the sacrificial bread from the temple, toiling on the sabbath, etc.) and confounding the religious leaders with his excuse for doing so.

I personally think that godly people serve the will of god best when they look to their own walk and resist the temptation to pass judgment on the walk of another, regardless of the faults one perceives in another's progress.  I guess I trust my God to pass judgment where such judgment is called for; and in that trust I feel liberated in my approach to my fellow human being.
God's Law and Hebrew law are not equivalent...which is why He broke the man-written portion of Jewish law.  As He said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."  Also, He did not eat the temple bread, He spoke of David doing so.  His disciples had only eaten some grain from a field.

As Christians, we are commanded to tell other people the good news, and part of that is explaining what actions are sinful in God's eyes.  That is not judging, that is doing what we can to save others.  We are even more strongly commanded to "police" our churches, and help bringing sinning members back into obedience. 

I'm sure you do feel liberated in your approach to fellow human beings, since you've abrogated your responsibility for them.   :whatever:

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 04:57:14 AM »
So he didn't toil on Sabbath?  Sadly, scripture says that he did.  At any rate, it doesn't matter.  The point I have been trying to make, and one I believe Jesus would have agreed with, is that one would do better to focus on one's own walk than the walk of another.
I think you need to actually read the Gospels a couple times.   :-)

Offline dixierose

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 06:37:36 AM »

The Philistines believed that getting grain from a field in order to eat was "toiling". They also considered healing on the Sabbath as "toiling". Those were man's interpretations of God's law.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »
I think you need to actually read the Gospels a couple times.   :-)

With all due respect, I have read them a great many times.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 07:03:29 AM »
Seeing as Jesus is everywhere, he would be in attendance regardless.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 07:04:17 AM »
Jesus is everywhere. Including gay weddings.

Should have just H5 this - didn't see it before I posted.

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 07:09:07 AM »
The Philistines believed that getting grain from a field in order to eat was "toiling". They also considered healing on the Sabbath as "toiling". Those were man's interpretations of God's law.

Indeed, men have a knack for interpreting things in ways that support their preconceived notions.  I personally think that this is the reason why one should be very careful when one engages in the judgment of others.  Such judgment is usually above our pay grade.

I can accept this truth that Jesus shared with us all. Clearly there are those who cannot.  I avoid arguing with such folks, for there is rarely fruit to be had that justifies the effort.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:41 AM »
With all due respect, I have read them a great many times.
You seem to have missed most of the content. Or perhaps you can point to the verses where Jesus said that sinful acts were now ok?   :-)    Good luck.  (I did notice that you ignored everything selse I pointed out. That does suggest that you have no foundation for a reply.)  :-)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:36:47 AM by MrsSmith »

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
I think he would show up and weep because of the way people have turned from the wishes of the Father to serve their own image of god.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 04:32:45 AM »
The woman at the well was Samaritan, not Jewish, yet Jesus pointed out that she was not married to the man she was living with.  He did not expect Gentiles to follow Jewish Law, but that doesn't mean they aren't sinning.  

Samaritism was a sect of Judaism.

The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus [!] said to her, "You have correctly said, 'I have no husband'; for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly."

Hardly a rebuke for sinning, but whatever.

And there were many different "organized religions" at that time, but only a couple survived.

There were, but nothing in that region as prominent as Judaism.

Look, I am simply trying to make the point that, while homosexuality may be a sin, so are many things that we as people do on a regular basis, even when we try not to.  It seems that, just because homosexuality repulses many people, it is deemed to be a worse sin and so treated differently than the rest.  Would you ostracize someone and refuse them equal treatment under the law because they have tattoos or body piercing, or because they happen to be an alcoholic?  I doubt you would, yet those things are clearly condemned as sinful in the Bible.  Why then should one type of sin and sinner be treated differently than the rest?  If one proclaims to be a follower of Jesus Christ, then all sins should be treated equally.  It is one's own sensibilities that seems to determine how we deal with our fellow sinners.  I, for one, refuse to judge others because I too will be judged.  Someone else's sin is not my responsibility.  My responsibility is to live my life in such a way as to show my faith and to lead by example, not to treat my fellow man as a lesser being because of sins he or she may be guilty of.  

We have human laws to deal with criminals and in our society homosexuality is not a crime as it is in more closed and dark societies in this world.  Do any of you advocate criminalizing homosexuality or tattooing or body piercing, etc.?  Probably not.  So unless a crime is committed, then the Constitution of the United States says people deserve equal treatment under the law.  This includes the right to marry.  So, if such a right exists, then I see no reason that Jesus, if invited, would not attend a gay wedding.  This does not mean he approves of homosexuality, it means he loves both the humans being married.  That is the Jesus I have read about in the Bible.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
Look, I am simply trying to make the point that, while homosexuality may be a sin, so are many things that we as people do on a regular basis, even when we try not to.  It seems that, just because homosexuality repulses many people, it is deemed to be a worse sin and so treated differently than the rest.  Would you ostracize someone and refuse them equal treatment under the law because they have tattoos or body piercing, or because they happen to be an alcoholic?  I doubt you would, yet those things are clearly condemned as sinful in the Bible.  Why then should one type of sin and sinner be treated differently than the rest?  If one proclaims to be a follower of Jesus Christ, then all sins should be treated equally.

Shouldn't you at least be vaguely familiar with a subject before making grand pronouncements instead of just pulling statements out of your ass?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
Shouldn't you at least be vaguely familiar with a subject before making grand pronouncements instead of just pulling statements out of your ass?

I believe that from man's perspective there are degrees of sin but from God's perspective sin is sin. Christians tend to be proud that we don't commit the juicy sins like murder, rape, theft, adultery,etc but excuse ourselves of the little lie or the occasional drunk, the lustful thought and a nurtured hatred but these are sins and God does not excuse them outside the forgiveness offered by Christ's death on the cross. They unrepentant liar ends up in the same place as the unrepentant murderer or adulterer.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »
I believe that from man's perspective there are degrees of sin but from God's perspective sin is sin. Christians tend to be proud that we don't commit the juicy sins like murder, rape, theft, adultery,etc but excuse ourselves of the little lie or the occasional drunk, the lustful thought and a nurtured hatred but these are sins and God does not excuse them outside the forgiveness offered by Christ's death on the cross. They unrepentant liar ends up in the same place as the unrepentant murderer or adulterer.

Be that as it may, I'll wager our interlocutor would be equally upset at Christians not approving of premarital sex, adultery, fudging government forms to obtain SSDI, etc. Non-Christian calls for "equality under the law" are only useful until they're actually applied and then the non-Christian is forced to realize just how shallow they truly are.

And Biblical law is a rather complex thing. Jesus noted that it was Moses -- not God -- that wrote the rules of divorce and Jesus made no effort to overturn this human fabrication designed to accommodate human defiance of Divine Will. Apparently He was more interested in Grace than box-checking.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 01:18:27 AM »

What have I said that is not backed up by scripture?  I have read the Bible many times and have studied Bible history.  Please educate me and tell me what I have said that  is at odds with Jesus' own teachings.  I'm all ears.