Author Topic: Question Concerning Priests  (Read 2842 times)

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
Question Concerning Priests
« on: April 07, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
Just a quick question...If a priest commits a moral wrong against members of his congregation, and then refuses to seek forgiveness and go through the full sacraments, particularly Reconciliation, are they improperly and immorally dispensing the Holy Eucharist? Are they in essence acting out as illegitimate priests?

Please provide canon law, and other evidence for either side.I would like to be well informed on the issue. Thanks everybody

Offline Flame

Re: Question Concerning Priests
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:40:23 PM »
Sorry cc, I don't know anything about the Catholic church, just didn't want you to think no one read your post!  :beer:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »
I can't quote canonical law, cclan, but from what I learned as a little lad, a priest who has committed a mortal sin is not in the eyes of God a priest, although it takes the fallible human eye a lot longer to catch on.

However, the Sacraments that the fallen priest gives are considered valid, because they're accepted in good faith and ignorance on the part of the recipients.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »
Just a quick question...If a priest commits a moral wrong against members of his congregation, and then refuses to seek forgiveness and go through the full sacraments, particularly Reconciliation, are they improperly and immorally dispensing the Holy Eucharist? Are they in essence acting out as illegitimate priests?

Please provide canon law, and other evidence for either side.I would like to be well informed on the issue. Thanks everybody

I had this discussion with my sister who is a Franciscan awhile ago. The priest's state of grave sin prohibits him from celebrating the Eucharist and committing sacrilege, but the Eucharist itself is still holy. The reason given is that Christ can still act through a priest who is spiritually dead.

I did find an article about this topic from EWTN.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur68.htm

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »

I had this discussion with my sister who is a Franciscan awhile ago. The priest's state of grave sin prohibits him from celebrating the Eucharist and committing sacrilege, but the Eucharist itself is still holy. The reason given is that Christ can still act through a priest who is spiritually dead.

I did find an article about this topic from EWTN.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur68.htm

Thanks Schadenfreude, and franksolich....This issue has really been bugging me for the last few months. EWTN looks very promising.