Author Topic: Ex-Vatican Ambassador Declines Medal At Notre Dame Commencement, Citing Obama  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Ex-Vatican Ambassador Declines Medal At Notre Dame Commencement, Citing Obama

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican Mary Ann Glendon won't accept the school's Laetare Medal at commencement next month because of its decision to have President Barack Obama speak to graduates.

Glendon also says in a letter to Notre Dame's president that giving Obama an honorary degree violates the U.S. bishops' 2004 statement that Roman Catholic institutions shouldn't honor people whose actions conflict with the church's moral principles.

Glendon says she's concerned Notre Dame's example could have a ripple effect.

Dozens of bishops have criticized the Obama invitation because of his support for abortion rights and embryonic stem-cell research.

The Laetare Medal is considered the most prestigious honor for American Catholics.

LINK

Good to see her take a stand for her beliefs.  I wonder if the Notre Dame big wigs are paying attention.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

Too few heroes these days, there are.  Nortre Dame is now a Noted Shame.

Offline thundley4

LINK

Good to see her take a stand for her beliefs.  I wonder if the Notre Dame big wigs are paying attention.

The only thing the ND big wigs will notice is if their donations drop off sharply.

Offline Chris_

The only thing the ND big wigs will notice is if their donations drop off sharply.
From what I have read, that has already started.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

From what I have read, that has already started.

Thumbing ones nose at God has its costs. 

Honestly, if that Obama character had any style and grace about him he would decline the invitation.  The world is not going to stop spinning if Obama doesn't get to Notre Dame.  We will go on.

Offline Chris_

Thumbing ones nose at God has its costs. 

Honestly, if that Obama character had any style and grace about him he would decline the invitation.  The world is not going to stop spinning if Obama doesn't get to Notre Dame.  We will go on.
That would imply that he actually cares about what other people think.  If the MSM actually picked up on this, he might notice...otherwise Uncle Eg0 will be there.

I keep expecting to hear that he has some other major event to attend that day, or there wil be some sort of "national emergency" that needs his personal attention so he can save face and not go.  Nah, won't happen.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Notre Dame's heydays are long over.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline TheRightWay

• Probationary (Probie)
LINK

While I despise the one who was elected under the guise of promises for a hedonistic life for those that choose the "Blue Pill" One must wonder if the catholic church after Vatican II has the continued fortitude to do what is right.

They should stand by their guns ... no member of the catholic church should accept any honor from any organization that has in recent past has honored any person who has had ANY contradictory views to the church. We must stand up as the holy church and refuse to be associated in any way with people like "dear leader".

We can not let compromise tarnish the light of the pure