Author Topic: my notes to my senators re USPS trashing the upcoming election...  (Read 431 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member msongs (56,024 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213850816

my notes to my senators re USPS trashing the upcoming election...

Dear Senators Hirono and Schatz,

It is a federal crime to delay, impede or obstruct the US mail.

Please publicly tell the new postmaster general that he will be held criminally liable for delaying, obstructing, or impeding delivery of the US mail particularly in an attempt to thwart voting in the upcoming election. Please share this with our congresswoman if you can find her. Mahalo,

Msongs

Where do they get this shit?

Star Member CaliforniaPeggy (132,969 posts)

5. Superb message, my dear msongs!

If it's OK with you, I think I will use the same sentences in a communication with mine! Minus the last sentence of course.

Thank you so much.

:whatever:

Google, Is the Post office trying to delay the elections?

{Post Master General} DeJoy, a North Carolina logistics executive who donated more than $2 million to GOP political committees in the past four years, approved changes that took effect July 13 that the agency said were aimed at cutting costs for the debt-laden mail service. They included prohibiting overtime pay, shutting down sorting machines early and requiring letter carriers to leave mail behind when necessary to avoid extra trips or late delivery on routes.

The Post office, since it went private (sort of) has lost millions every year.

The U.S. Postal Service lost $8.8 billion in fiscal 2019, more than doubling its losses from the previous year. The results marked the 13th consecutive year the mailing agency lost money, although USPS did post a slight uptick in revenue to $71.3 billion.

Why Does the US Postal Service Lose Money?

Though the Postal Service is bleeding money, it receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products, and services to fund its operations.

The Postal Service carried billion-dollar surpluses for many years before the Internet became widely available to Americans.

Although the Postal Service lost money in the early part of the decade, in 2001 and 2003, the most significant losses came after the passage of a 2006 law requiring the agency to refund retiree health benefits.

Under the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, the USPS is required to pay $5.4 billion to $5.8 billion annually, through 2016, to pay for future retiree health benefits.

Postal Service Net Income/Loss By Year

2019 - $8.8 billion loss
2018 - $3.9 billion loss
2017 - $2.7 billion loss
2016 - $5.6 billion loss
2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2012 - $15.9 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

2006 - $900 million surplus
2005 - $1.4 billion surplus
2004 - $3.1 billion surplus
2003 - $3.9 billion surplus
2002 - $676 million loss
2001 - $1.7 billion loss

Already burdened by a negative net worth of $65 billion and an additional $140 billion in unfunded liabilities, the USPS originally expected to run out of liquidity by 2021 without help from Congress. However, with fewer people and businesses because of the COVID-19 outbreak, the quasi-governmental Postal Service—which relies on user fees rather than taxes—could be forced to close its doors as early as June 2020, lawmakers warned.

Despite the dire warnings, however, the USPS received no additional funding in the $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus and relief package legislation signed by President Trump on March 27, 2020.

Traditionally, postal workers are trained not to leave letters behind and to make multiple delivery trips to ensure mail is delivered on time — which can incur extra costs in overtime hours, transportation and more.

Officials laid out a shift away from this approach, saying that such practices cost the organization about $200 million in added expenses, according to the memo, which was obtained by The Post.

Among the changes is a new, strict cutoff time in the morning for mail carriers to pick up items to deliver that day, several postal employees from three different states said.

The machines that typically sort mail and prepare them for pickup by carriers are being shut down earlier in some areas to cut costs, requiring carriers to sort more mail by hand once they arrive in the morning.

That means any mail that is not ready by cutoff time waits at least another day. And if there is any error in hand-sorted mail, it needs to be rerouted to another carrier — which could lead to three to four extra days of waiting. As a result of these changes, guaranteed shipping dates are not being met, the employees said.

Basically, Dems can't run anything without overspending and now are looking at this as an excuse why Biden is going to lose...

Star Member KPN (10,793 posts)

6. Excellent message. We should all sends similar

message to our Senators and Cong. Reps. Getting on it now — though mine are all liberal Democrats. But the criminal aspect is a great observation and seems like a fully legitimate point! Well worth sharing with all 3 of them (and others).

Star Member burrowowl (13,570 posts)

8. Kick and send to Congress critters!

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

Re: my notes to my senators re USPS trashing the upcoming election...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 06:14:31 PM »
I have  one question for the DUmmies. Did you email your congressman or send them letters via the USPS?

On a side note. My wife uses that app that lets you see if you have mail waiting to be delivered. Guess what? Many times she has said that we'd be getting a certain bill or something, yet it's often a day or two later when it arrives.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: my notes to my senators re USPS trashing the upcoming election...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 07:31:19 PM »
Those retirement fund problems don't go away if you privatize it, in fact they get a lot worse since there is no longer a direct revenue stream to pay any of it, and that government obligation either has to come out of general government revenue (I.e., taxes) or whatever private provider picks up the service has to charge enough on top of its own costs to put those funds into it.

It could easily pay for itself, the problem is whenever the USPS starts to make noise about charging what it actually costs, every pennypinching old gaffer, little old widow, and mass mailer writes angry letters to their Congresscritter, and Congress proceeds to crap all over any plan to relate revenue to the actual costs.  The cost of a first class letter in the US is a loss leader price compared to what it costs for the equivalent service from the Royal Mail or Bundespost.

It's a Constitutionally mandated service, and although privatizing it is a perennial pet rock of the GOP, not that many people outside the shipping industry lobbyists really sees a real need to do that.  It's not even part of the original Constitutional concept that it had to pay for itself, the Constitution does not address that.  If the service characteristics remain the same, i.e. routine daily residential pickup and delivery, it isn't going to be any cheaper from the user perspective.  The talking heads on Fox Business and the other financial channels get moist talking about it, but they've all got a NYC/Beltway-centric life and POV, where UPS, FEDEX, DHL, bicycle couriers etc. are available any time of day.  It's a whole different world away from the metroplexes, where there are one or two delivery services with facilities within an hour's drive, and there might be a couple of pickup locations in the entire county, or if they're lucky a retail outlets that charge on top of the shipper's rates for service.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.