Author Topic: Clinton Calls Military ‘Racist, Sexist, and Homophobic’  (Read 3488 times)

Offline formerlurker

Clinton Calls Military ‘Racist, Sexist, and Homophobic’ — Will the President Disavow It?
By Pete Hegseth
November 4, 2012 10:00 P.M.

At a campaign rally on Saturday, former President Bill Clinton made an astonishing statement about America’s military. You can watch the clip here or read below:

One of the things the decider-in-chief has to do is decide whether he’s going to bring this country together across all its diversity or let it drift apart. Look at how much stronger the American military is because it is less racist, less sexist and less homophobic and we’re just looking for people who can do the job.

Let me get this right: Bill Clinton believes that President Obama has made the military less racist, less sexist, and less homophobic during his four years in Washington. This statement—by extension—specifically implies that the military was, and is, a racist, sexist, and homophobic institution. Does this historical indictment apply only to the George W. Bush administration . . . or does his timeline extend to the 1990s when, wait, Clinton was the “decider-in-chief”? Probably not . . . but I digress.

My guess is that Clinton’s comment was an allusion to Obama’s repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” — which, if you have your facts straight, was never  a Department of Defense policy to begin with. In fact, as Clinton might remember, that policy was enacted by Congress in 1993 and signed into law by, wait, him. Clinton is therefore saying that Obama has freed the military from a supposed homophobia imposed by none other than himself.

As for racism, wasn’t it Clinton who inherited a military that included the first African-American Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff? Do you think Colin Powell believes he was leading an inherently racist organization? Must we remind the former president that it was the United States military that was one of the first major integrated institutions in this country—an institution that had to build schools on its bases so that the children of soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines serving without regard to race or creed could attend integrated schools. Must we remind him that it was members of the U.S. military that stood strong in the chaos of the 1950s and 1960s, as schools and universities were integrated across the country. 

The hypocrisy continues with sexism. Leaving aside the obvious jokes about cigars and interns, one might also point to Clinton’s 1994 policy “excluding women from units at the level of battalion and below that engage in direct ground combat.” Regardless of what you think about women serving in infantry units, it’s clear that during Clinton’s presidency, he restricted the options of women to serve in any role they please. To this end, I’m not sure what Obama has done to right this wrong, considering the same limitations apply today.

As it is, serving members of the U.S. military who uphold their oaths to defend the Constitution of the United States — the greatest instrument of freedom the world has known — preserve the former president’s right to make stunningly ignorant statements about an institution which, after eight years of service as commander-in-chief, he clearly knows nothing about.

The larger question is — will President Obama disavow the statement? Does he believe our military has been racist, sexist, and homophobic? If so, the burden of proof is on him to explain why? If not, why would he tolerate a former Democratic president — and top campaign surrogate — saying it? Veterans across this country would love an answer.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

Oh Billy-Jeff.   Dude you should have stayed in retirement.   

:bird:

Offline jtyangel

Re: Clinton Calls Military ‘Racist, Sexist, and Homophobic’
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:20:47 AM »
I don't even need to read it. A man who had many philanderings including incidences that appear to be nonconsensual calling the military sexist?  Give me a farkin break dude.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:47:26 AM »
I don't even need to read it. A man who had many philanderings including incidences that appear to be nonconsensual calling the military sexist?  Give me a farkin break dude.

No.  Me either.

I'll be in a "pleasant air" when that douche punches out to hang out with the swimmer.

I hate both the Clintoons worse than Obama....

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
That is going to hurt obama, and his wife. I wonder if she is really going to run in 2016? He might want to think before he speaks.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 07:48:48 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

Oh Billy-Jeff.   Dude you should have stayed in retirement.   

:bird:

That's nothing, he should hear what we call him.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
Doesn't this make Clinton look like a racist/homophobic/sexist man? 

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »

Movie," Men of Honor." 

Wasn't until the late 1950's that we slowly began to intergrate our military.  Interesting for me to remember my Dads friend telling him he was moving out of Chief housing because the Navy was bringing in Black Chiefs and their familys----GASP----  How did a black man back then become a Chief ????

Filipino's in the service were used as laundry men, cooks and shoe cleaners. 

Sexest, what year did the Naval Academy admit woman,   Anyone remember Tail Hook, or the first woman to be allowed to sail with fleet ???

We have to remember for thousands of years all civilations around the world  WAR was a Mans Game.  Woman were the back up, the nurses and the office workers.  It was women that loaded the guns for the men to shoot,

Woman because of plumbing differences had a problem with from the beginning to ride a horse and piss off the side of the Mount. 

Woman can also become a distraction in War, It was never a good idea back in time to ride into battle with a mare in heat and expect the Stallions to not notice.

I am looking forward to seeing how a Fast Attack Sub on a 5+ mounth cruse survives having woman aboard.   

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »
The obvious counter argument to the article involves that word "progress" (which is, of course, short for "progressive").  :whatever:

Clinton "progressed" from the policy of the military prior to 1993 - that being if you're gay and you're caught (or you admit it), you're gone. There were some instances of commanders who took extraordinary measures in trying to "catch" suspected gays and thus oust them, and in true "progressive" style, these instances - as few as there were - were trumpeted and heralded as witch hunts that infested every corner of the military.

In more than 20 years of service, I never knew of a commander who "went after" any gay. Some commanders went after suspected drug usage and thus employed their maximum discretion in requiring their soldiers to submit urine samples, but the gay thing wasn't an issue. Of course, I knew I served alongside some gays, and most of us simply adopted the premise that if the gay dude kept his activity to himself and didn't confront people with it, not much would be said about it. I'd say that this was the prevalent attitude PRIOR to DADT. So the only thing that Slick Willie did was sign into law a practice that had largely been within the military for years, notwithstanding the few examples of commanders who "went after" suspected gays.

Clinton doesn't see the hypocrisy that Hegseth refers to, because in his progressive little mind, what Barry did was simply take DADT and move it a bit farther to the left.

And we all have seen the photos of male Marines laying liplocks on each other. Disgusting and humiliating for straight Marines, I would think.

The inevitable accommodations made for fudgepackers and rugmunchers are still on the way. Those are many and varied and need not be mentioned here.  :rant:

Once again, the U.S. military is made a social experiment. The real puzzling thing is, the military will continue to perform its mission and those who actually have the stomach to watch those liplocking Marines without puking are ordered to look past that disgusting display of faggotry.

And will do so.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:54:52 AM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
Vesta, I realize you don't know shit about most things, but you really ought to google historical stuff before you write about it.  Truman made the decision to integrate the armed forces, to which there was certainly some institutional resistance as well as a lot of racist attitudes in the ranks, as well as units that had been Black units remaining primarily Black just due to the pace of attrition for some time, but the Army that fought in Korea was legally integrated one if not factually so in every possible way.  The Navy was a lot more foot-dragging about it, which they tend to be with anything traditional, but then the Navy and Air Force have a fundamentally different approach to people than the ground combat forces of the Army and Marines do.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:46 PM »
Even GA Omar Bradley expressed "reservations" about integrating the services, a cute little something that earned him an ass-chewing.

I can't find any direct link to an account supporting that, but when Truman signed EO 9981 on 26 Jul 48, senior military leaders were known to have made comments, Bradley among them. Bradley's comment, spoken in a press conference, was this:

...desegregation will come to the Army only when it becomes a fact in the rest of American society.

On 29 Jul 48, Truman came back and said that the intent of EO 9981 was to end segregation in the Armed Forces.

This is an early example of the sitting president doing an end-around Congress to get what he wants.

So, all in all, while the military was fairly quick about integrating (much quicker than the general populace), there was definitely some grumbling about it -- which never turns out well for the military in that the civilian leadership puts the screws to those wearing the uniform.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_did_Harry_Truman's_executive_Order_9981_do

Let me add that Bradley was a product of his environment. Born in Clark, MO and raised in Moberly, MO (this area of north-central Missouri is where I call home these days) was known as "Little Dixie." Segregation was most definitely a part of this community and blacks were not at all seen the same as whites, particularly 100 years ago.

One restaurant in Moberly has a back door that, according to legend, used to be reserved for blacks who came in from the Brown Shoe Company next door to eat lunch. It was marked "Colored Only."
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:19:15 PM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »

Whaddya mean, "LOOK LIKE?"

I'd say based on the fact he turned the word "humidor" into a VERB with a 21-year old intern, and his actions as governor, etc., if anyone knows racist/sexist/homophobic behavior, it's him!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline CG6468

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 01:01:01 PM »
Billy Jeff should go and hang upside down in the tree with his batshit wife.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town