Author Topic: DUmmie indicts the New York Times for treason.  (Read 636 times)

Offline thundley4

DUmmie indicts the New York Times for treason.
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »
stockholmer (3,568 posts)

Diane Feinstein,a prime defender of the Surveillance State, renews her assault on the 1st Amendment

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/02/dianne_feinstein_targets_press_freedom/

The supreme Senate defender of state secrecy and the Surveillance State, California Democrat Dianne Feinstein, yesterday issued a statement to Australia’s largest newspaper, The Sydney Morning Herald, http://www.smh.com.au/national/us-senator-calls-to-prosecute-assange-20120701-21b3n.html demanding (once again) the prosecution of WikiLeaks and Julian Assange. To see how hostile Feinstein is to basic press freedoms, permit me to change “Assange” each time it appears in her statement to “The New York Times“:

The head of the US Senate’s powerful intelligence oversight committee has renewed calls for (The New York Times) to be prosecuted for espionage. . . .

”I believe (The New York Times) has knowingly obtained and disseminated classified information which could cause injury to the United States,” the chairwoman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Dianne Feinstein, said in a written statement provided to the Herald. ”(It) has caused serious harm to US national security, and should be prosecuted accordingly.”

As EFF’s Trevor Timm noted, there is no sense in which Feinstein’s denunciation applies to WikiLeaks but not to The New York Times (and, for that matter, senior Obama officials http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/20/us/politics/accidental-path-to-record-leak-cases-under-obama.html?pagewanted=all ). Indeed, unlike WikiLeaks, which has never done so, The New York Times has repeatedly published Top Secret information. That’s why the prosecution that Feinstein demands for WikiLeaks would be the gravest threat to press freedom and basic transparency in decades. Feinstein’s decades-long record in the Senate strongly suggest that she would perceive these severe threats to press freedom as a benefit rather than drawback to her prosecution designs.

snip

Given all of that, it looks like the Observer‘s British neocon warcheerleading columnist, Nick Cohen, picked a really bad week to write an entire column mocking concerns that the U.S. would seek to prosecute and extradite Assange as “paranoia.” Only wilful ignorance would lead someone to claim that such evidence is nonexistent. Indeed, the evidence has long been overwhelming that the U.S. is eager to prosecute him and is actively seeking to do so. That’s because it’s filled with people like Dianne Feinstein, whose supreme loyalty is to the National Security State which enriches them, and who are plagued by a demonstrated willingness to trample on basic Constitutional protections in order to protect it.

snip
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002901092

The head of the US Senate’s powerful intelligence oversight committee has renewed calls for (The New York Times) to be prosecuted for espionage. . . .

”I believe (The New York Times) has knowingly obtained and disseminated classified information which could cause injury to the United States,” the chairwoman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Dianne Feinstein, said in a written statement provided to the Herald. ”(It) has caused serious harm to US national security, and should be prosecuted accordingly.”

Even that statement would be true.

snot (7,336 posts)
1. Excellent post!

I remain stunned that other press organizations do not defend against these kinds of attacks. Are they so sure they'll always suck up sufficiently to t.p.t.b. to avert any consequences to themselves?

Cheering on treasonous actions is a DU daily occurrence.

Tierra_y_Libertad (34,093 posts)
3. Lady Di thinks it's dangerous if the people knows what the bosses are doing.

Dangerous to the bosses, that is.

Or she believes that giving information to America's enemies is treasonous.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Re: DUmmie indicts the New York Times for treason.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
So,

To make sure I understand this - The primitives like DiFi until she actually does the right thing - then they don't ?

Reading DU is like a trip to BizarroWorld. I can't help but to wonder what BizarroMiskie's DU name is..

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:03:30 PM »
So,

To make sure I understand this - The primitives like DiFi until she actually does the right thing - then they don't ?

Reading DU is like a trip to BizarroWorld. I can't help but to wonder what BizarroMiskie's DU name is..

A list of all our DU bizarro names would be interesting.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
The Dems would never want the NYT prosecuted, it's far too useful for publishing the leaks they want leaked.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
The Dems would never want the NYT prosecuted, it's far too useful for publishing the leaks they want leaked.

White House leaks are something else that Obama is covering up.  Of course they will say that they have prosecuted more leaks than other administrations, but only ones harmful to Obama, not the helpful ones.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »
A list of all our DU bizarro names would be interesting.

Great idea! Consider it stolen.

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline A7X_foREVer

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »
Voting for Obama for a second term would be like the captain of the Titanic backing into the iceberg again

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:05:05 AM »
It's Bush's fault...

...and the Jooooz.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 04:17:31 AM »
It's Bush's fault...

...and the Jooooz.

H5 for getting it right! :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.