Author Topic: Missouri Legislature overrides governor's veto of redistricting map  (Read 1288 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
The Missouri Senate voted 28-6 this afternoon to override Gov. Jay Nixon's veto of the bill crafting new boundaries for the state's eight remaining congressional districts. That vote, which was not a surprise, followed the state House's narrow override by 109-44.

The map does away with the district of U.S. Rep. Russ Carnahan, D-St. Louis.

More here:  http://www.stlbeacon.org/issues-politics/176-Missouri_Issues/110073-missouri-house-overrides-governors-veto-of-redistricting-map
 :nelson:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Bad news for the Carnahan familia.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline DumbAss Tanker

A handful of Dems came over on the House side to make the override work.  Apparently tired of screwing with the hairsplitting and laudably wanting to move on to more pressing business.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The bizarre thing about this is, I live just outside a small town that is literally being split in half by this action. On one side of the street, that'll be District 6. On the other, District 4.

Both reps are Republicans, so there won't be a significant shift in things, but it looks like my Rep will change and go to Sam Graves vice Blaine Luetkemeyer. I really like Luetkemeyer and was happy with his performance. Gotta go to school on Graves....

Here's some further detail/fallout:

I’ll summarize the changes as follows: Missouri loses a district, thanks to the 2010 Census. On the Republican side, Vicki Hartzler is liking this map least: she had some R areas taken away from her and given to Emanuel Cleaver, and has been given some D areas from Luetkemeyer. On the other hand, on the Democratic side Cleaver’s district is now somewhat less urban. This is not necessarily a disaster for Cleaver: he’s that rarity, a Democratic African-American that white Democrats will vote for anyway. But the really nice news? Russ Carnahan’s district was chopped up like a chicken for the stewpot: half of it went to Jo Ann Emerson (who didn’t break a sweat winning last year with 65% of the vote) and the rest looks like it’s in William Clay’s (majority-minority). Bottom line: I am not an expert on Missouri county vote totals, but it looks like Missouri’s going to go from 6R/3D to 6R/2D.

Redstate
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.