Author Topic: Florida governor tells the feds to stick it....  (Read 578 times)

Offline 5412

Florida governor tells the feds to stick it....
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
Hi

This is music to my ears.  I live in FL and have followed this issue closely.  The citizens of the state of Florida had a ballot initiative voting down the rail.  The liberal newspapers of course have played this up.  Our governer suggested they take the funds and use it for some other construction projects more cost effective and the feds said no, use it for rail or you don't get the money.

Well today the governor made and announced his decision.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/return-to-sender-fla-gov-turns-down-billions-in-federal-rail-funds/

What folks seems to be missing is two things.  First of all the state would also have to provide funds for the boondoggle.  In addition, name any state or federal owned railroad, or probably bus system for that matter that does not require taxpayer subsidies because they are losing money.  So the decision the governor made was to listen the the voters who voted against the rail, not waste some more Florida tax dollars to build a railroad the people do not want and likely would have to subsidize because it is unlikely to ever make a profit by the time the unions are done with it.

Government funded transportation, the money cesspool that just keeps on circling down and around.

Way to go governor, I am proud of you.

regards,

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Florida governor tells the feds to stick it....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
Your gov is right on.  No matter how much of the tab the Feds pick up, FL has a deficit that pretty much precludes buying anything shiny and expensive to keep.  And the 'Keeping it running' part of the picture is the REAL fiscal killer, I generally support rail as an important strategic asset you can't get back, but this thing is a money-devouring white elephant.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.