Author Topic: Entire Detroit office recused from al-hanooti case  (Read 1248 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Entire Detroit office recused from al-hanooti case
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:06:57 PM »
The U.S. Attorney's Office in Detroit confirmed Thursday the entire Detroit office has been recused from the Al-Hanooti case, but officials would not say why. The case is instead being handled by government lawyers from Washington, D.C.

The indictment alleges that an ex-Iraqi Intelligence Service officer asked a former official with the Life for Relief -- Muthanna Al-Hanooti -- to publicize the damage of U.S. sanctions. As part of that, the indictment alleges, Al-Hanooti helped organize a trip to Iraq by a congressional delegation. Al-Hanooti allegedly received a potentially lucrative oil contract from Saddam's regime in return for his services.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/POLITICS/803280365/1022/POLITICS

:popcorn: Hmm...I wonder if that is standard procedure?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Entire Detroit office recused from al-hanooti case
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »
The U.S. Attorney's Office in Detroit confirmed Thursday the entire Detroit office has been recused from the Al-Hanooti case, but officials would not say why. The case is instead being handled by government lawyers from Washington, D.C.

The indictment alleges that an ex-Iraqi Intelligence Service officer asked a former official with the Life for Relief -- Muthanna Al-Hanooti -- to publicize the damage of U.S. sanctions. As part of that, the indictment alleges, Al-Hanooti helped organize a trip to Iraq by a congressional delegation. Al-Hanooti allegedly received a potentially lucrative oil contract from Saddam's regime in return for his services.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/POLITICS/803280365/1022/POLITICS

:popcorn: Hmm...I wonder if that is standard procedure?

I'll bet it's because the defendant is linked to some very prominent dems, including baghdad jim mcdermott and hillary.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Entire Detroit office recused from al-hanooti case
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »
The most likely reason would be that the current U.S. Attorney personally has some irrevocable connection, not necessarily a completely direct one, with major parties or witnesses on the other side of the case.  A USA has the power to hire, fire, and screw around with anyone in his or her office, and a conflict at the top like that can knock out the whole lower food chain.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.