Author Topic: The liberal vultures are circling.  (Read 23957 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: The liberal vultures are circling.
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:02 PM »
Heh -- I'm a military contractor so I love all of you!!  :-*

I guess we are all in the clear.  No one claims to be a dentist.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
I probably was.  LOL.

But I can hope you understand why.  First off, I work hard, and I take a big risk when I take a contingency fee case.  I have had quite a few where I ended up working for nothing.  Try it.  It's not fun working for something for eighteen months or two years and not getting paid.

Second, it makes no sense for Democrats to attack trial lawyers, especially given (as noted in this thread) that trial lawyers are some of the biggest donors to the Democratic Party.  The OP in that thread was shooting his own party in the foot, and I felt the need to explain that.

But, in truth, I could have gone to work for a big corporate defense firm.  I would have made a lot more money if I had done so.  Instead, I chose to sleep well at night.  Some of what I do is, actually, motivated by a (perhaps-misguided) instinct to protect and defend the weak.  Without people like me, many people would have no access whatsoever to the Courts.

Thanks for the response.

-Laelth

Just a curiosity question, I've always wondered how a Lawyer can take on a case, say a murder case as an example, and the evidence is overwhelming that the client is the murderer, how can a Lawyer take on such a case and still sleep at night? I remember the Menendez Brothers case, OJ Simpson etc. I always got the feeling that Robert Shapiro regretted his involvement in the OJ case, though he never said that publicly, but during interviews I just got that feeling.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline jukin

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »
What do you call 500 dead lawyers?

A good start.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 12:44:01 PM »
When I think of PI lawyers, the first person who pops into my head is John Edward. Has there ever been a bigger scumbag on the face of the Earth?
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 12:44:40 PM »
Weird ... I never needed a lawyer until one was sicc'd on me.  If the person who sued me had had to pay his attorney when he LOST the suit I would NEVER have been sued.  The attorney knew there was very, very little chance of proving I had anything to do with his clients accident.

What would be wrong with 'Loser Pays'??  Spill it mr.mrs. scumsucking .... err I mean lawyer.  LOL

All kidding aside what do you have against Loser Pays?

KC

Loser pays works in many countries in Europe.  There's nothing wrong with it, ultimately, if it's done properly.  But our legal system has been run on the English model (each side pays its own attorneys) since the founding of the country.  It would be a serious adjustment to change that.  And it might not be what you want.  Let's consider an example.

Plaintiffs' attorney is lied to by a poor client and brings a bad suit.  Rich corporate defendant runs up $100K in attorneys' fees before Plaintiffs' attorney realizes he has a loser and drops it.  Who pays that $100K bill?  Poor person?  Poor person doesn't have $100K, and rich defendant can get a judgment but can never collect on that bill.  Sould Plainitffs' attorney pay?  Just because poor client lied and Plainitffs' attorney pursued a loser.  Isn't it bad enough that Plainitffs' attorney put in a lot of work and didn't get paid a dime?  Should he also have to pay for not being able to see into the future?

Most people can't afford to hire an attorney.  A "loser pays" system will probably never be adopted here because the rich don't want it.  As it is, they have to pay their attorneys whether they win or lose.  Under loser pays, they could get a useless judgment against the poor if they win, or, if they lose, they would have to pay the poor Plaintiffs' attorney's fees too.  The rich are unlikely to allow that here.

Personally, though, I wouldn't mind it, except for the damage that it would do to the legal rights of the middle class.  The middle class actually has some assets to lose, and middle-classed people would be very afraid to bring any lawsuits if they had to risk losing their assets just to take a risk on winning in court.  And victory in court can never be guaranteed, no matter how good a case you have.  Corporate defense attorneys are very good.

Hope that at least begins to answer your question.

-Laelth
We are all in this boat together.

Offline lastparker

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »
Laelth:  Welcome!  So far, you play much nicer than your cohorts at the DUmp.

Allo:  "oases".... yup, plural. Latin classes were my favorite.

I was in New York city a while back and it was SOOOOO cold!! 

(How cold WAS it?)

It was SOOOOO cold, I saw a lawyer walking down the sidewalk and he had his hands in his *OWN* pockets!!

:rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot:

What's sadder than a busload or lawyers going over a cliff?

There was one empty seat.
 :rimshot: :rimshot:
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »
Loser pays works in many countries in Europe.  There's nothing wrong with it, ultimately, if it's done properly.  But our legal system has been run on the English model (each side pays its own attorneys) since the founding of the country.  It would be a serious adjustment to change that.  And it might not be what you want.  Let's consider an example.

Plaintiffs' attorney is lied to by a poor client and brings a bad suit.  Rich corporate defendant runs up $100K in attorneys' fees before Plaintiffs' attorney realizes he has a loser and drops it.  Who pays that $100K bill?  Poor person?  Poor person doesn't have $100K, and rich defendant can get a judgment but can never collect on that bill.  Sould Plainitffs' attorney pay?  Just because poor client lied and Plainitffs' attorney pursued a loser.  Isn't it bad enough that Plainitffs' attorney put in a lot of work and didn't get paid a dime?  Should he also have to pay for not being able to see into the future?

Most people can't afford to hire an attorney.  A "loser pays" system will probably never be adopted here because the rich don't want it.  As it is, they have to pay their attorneys whether they win or lose.  Under loser pays, they could get a useless judgment against the poor if they win, or, if they lose, they would have to pay the poor Plaintiffs' attorney's fees too.  The rich are unlikely to allow that here.

Personally, though, I wouldn't mind it, except for the damage that it would do to the legal rights of the middle class.  The middle class actually has some assets to lose, and middle-classed people would be very afraid to bring any lawsuits if they had to risk losing their assets just to take a risk on winning in court.  And victory in court can never be guaranteed, no matter how good a case you have.  Corporate defense attorneys are very good.

Hope that at least begins to answer your question.

-Laelth

So you're saying that the evil Corp. should be out of the 100K because your client is a democrat liar?
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 12:57:18 PM »
Just a curiosity question, I've always wondered how a Lawyer can take on a case, say a murder case as an example, and the evidence is overwhelming that the client is the murderer, how can a Lawyer take on such a case and still sleep at night? I remember the Menendez Brothers case, OJ Simpson etc. I always got the feeling that Robert Shapiro regretted his involvement in the OJ case, though he never said that publicly, but during interviews I just got that feeling.

That's a good question and one that I can't honestly answer.  I don't do any criminal defense work.

But this is what I was taught in law school.  Suspects have rights, and those rights belong to all of us.  Criminal defense attorneys are what stand between us and a police state.  When the rights of any suspect are violated by the police or the criminal justice system, the Court is supposed to protect all of our rights by not letting the police or the State get away with violating anyone's rights.  Now, if a suspect admits to his or her attorney that he or she is guilty, the attorney can still fight for a favorable plea bargain, but can't condone perjury, i.e. can't allow the suspect to get on the stand and lie.  When that happens, attorney is supposed to withdraw from representing that client.  But if client says he or she is innocent, attorney is duty bound to represent client zealously (because we all have the right to zealous representation), and we lose that right if there are no attorneys willing to do it.

Does that make nay sense?  Thanks for the response.

-Laelth

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 01:00:08 PM »
A conversation isn't (or doesn't have to be) a flame. We can choose to have an honest one WITHOUT talking points or not. Here's what I see every time I watch television: some law firm or other is advertising a class action law suit because of some medication or other. Perhaps in A FEW cases it's justified. But every single medication carries risk, even children's Tylenol (my nephew had a weird disease when he was a baby and he could only take aspirin). Anyone who swallows a pill (or a parent who gives their children medication) knows this. Drug trials are important but they can't possibly anticipate EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM that will come along. And often, the MAJORITY of people are helped by drug.

Acutane is a good example. Both my brother and sister took this in their teens and both are in their 30's and 40's. It was dangerous then and it's dangerous now. My niece who is 14, homeschooled, and not sexually active had to be on birth control while she was using it because the risk to the baby is so great. Yet, now there's a lawsuit being trotted out. The risks are (and have been) known for a couple decades now but when someone has exhausted all other alternatives it's the only thing that works for SEVERE acne. Things like this make medications cost more and stifle research.

Frivolous lawsuits abound. McDonald's coffee is hot. So are irons. Plastic bags do not belong on the heads of 2 year olds. Light a match to someone's pajamas and they generally catch on fire or melt. At some point people have to take responsibility. Life in general carries risk. If there was some kind of law that required the loser pay (or perhaps the law firm would absorb the cost of the suit) so as to keep the frivolous out of the courts, it would prevent some of this nonsense and expense (generally passed on to consumers). Some are important but most aren't.

I'd also argue that both parties get monies from corporations. And certain industries gravitate toward certain parties. That's life and beltway politics. But the banking industry, mortgage & investment firms gave the majority of their funds to Democrats (Obama and Dodd more than most). BP gave more to Obama than any other candidate. Both have been problematic. The filthy rich are (and give more) to Democrats than Republicans. More donations to the Republican party are from smaller donations. That's just a verifiable fact. It's neither bad nor good, just a fact. And unions give more to Democrats than they do to Republicans. They are a very rich special interest that often doesn't serve (or represents) those forced to belong. Look how many union MEMBERS have conservative values (still clinging to God and guns) and work ethic. And the NEA has long ago stopped representing teachers, becoming a top down, coercive group that has too much influence on government and gives local school districts too little autonomy.

So, if industries whose unions contribute to Democrats to gain influence, it would stand to reason that the companies that hire those union workers (especially when coerced) would gravitate to the other party. That kind of tension is important for a thriving republic. It's intellectually dishonest to say "corporations give to Republicans" and that the Republicans are the party of the rich. We can't get anywhere in this country if we're going to continue to spew (and believe) outdated stereotypes. Do hang around though if you want an honest debate.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 01:12:35 PM »
Cindie, anyone who wallows around at the DUmp has a long way to go in order to acknowledge what you have just typed. Just sayin'........pretty easy to talk outa both sides of your mouth when convenient to do so.

I find it difficult to believe anything it has to say when it's cohorts pretty much have the exact opposite opinion!

This is by no means an attack, it's just really hard to believe if they have the opinions stated here, why in the hell would you belong to a site with so much anti-free speech? Especially a lawyer?

ETA:

You would think a lawyer would be informed of the facts or at least pursue them! Otherwise, they're just talkin out of the other side of their mouth.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:16:55 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
Laelth:  Welcome!  So far, you play much nicer than your cohorts at the DUmp.

I assume the vast majority of you are decent, reasonable people.  And I'm not feeling so welcome at DU these days because I refuse to toe the Party line.  Either way, thanks for the kind words.

:cheersmate:

-Laelth

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 01:28:19 PM »
:rotf:

I have to admit I think "loser pays" on some of these suits would curtail a lot of the nonsense.  And then there's the lawsuits where some idiot doesn't realize that if you purchase a cup of coffee from McDonald's, it's probably best not to spill it in your lap, and if you do it's your own fault, so shut up and take your medicine.  Those types of suits do nothing to help lawyers' image.

Loser pays, in that case, wouldn't have helped, would it?  A jury of 12 people unanimously found that McDonalds should not brew its coffee at 180 degrees because someone might just spill that coffee and get 3rd degree burns over a significant portion of their body.  The jury found that McDonalds was grossly negligent because the company had a policy of brewing its coffe at a temperature that was very dangerous.  The jury decided to punish McDonalds for that policy in order to send a message to others that it's not O.K. to hand people a cup full of a dangerous liquid out the window, knowing full well that if it slips, someone could be burned badly.  McDonalds now brews its coffee at a much lower temperature, and so do all other companies that serve coffee out of a window.  That's how tort law works, by the way--it punishes those who behave in a way that is dangerous to other people in order to eliminate the dangerous behavior.  And it works.  A big jury verdict like that makes the whole country safer.

In that case, though, because McDonalds lost, McDonalds would not only have to pay their own attorneys and the Plaintiff but also the Plaintiff's attorney.  I don't see how that would help.  But if the goal is to reduce the number of lawsuits, loser pays might do the trick.  Middle-classed people, in particular, would be very afraid to go to an attorney and bring a lawsuit because they might just lose.  I am not sure that would be beneficial, though.  Lots of people would effectively lose access to the Courts.

-Laelth

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
My main issue with lawyers is that they so often go into politics.  The legal world is very different from the real world.  I would rather see more business people enter politics, as they know "boots on the ground" economics.  What is likely to inspire business expansion and job creation?   What should be common sense, seems to elude the lawyerly among us when it comes to how economic machines work.  

Interesting observation.  There was a time when well over 60% of people in the Georgia legislature were attorneys.  Now it's down to less than 25%.  From one perspective, it's good to have lawyer-legislators.  Lawyers study laws, and they do it for a living.  They argue laws in Court.  They know how to write them.  They know how to read them.  It just makes sense that you would want them to make the laws as well.  But, as attorneys become less and less popular, the sentiment you espouse becomes more widespread.  Most attoneys I know are in private practice--they either run their own business (like me) or they work for a firm that runs its own business.  To say that lawyers have no idea how business works seems a bit extreme to me.  It's also true, however, that the legislature benefits from having the perspectives of people from all walks of life and professions.  Personally, I'd like to see more poor people elected to office, but for them, given our current system, that's virtually impossible.

Thanks for the response.

-Laelth

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 01:51:31 PM »
I probably was.  LOL.

But I can hope you understand why.  First off, I work hard, and I take a big risk when I take a contingency fee case.  I have had quite a few where I ended up working for nothing.  Try it.  It's not fun working for something for eighteen months or two years and not getting paid.

Second, it makes no sense for Democrats to attack trial lawyers, especially given (as noted in this thread) that trial lawyers are some of the biggest donors to the Democratic Party.  The OP in that thread was shooting his own party in the foot, and I felt the need to explain that.

But, in truth, I could have gone to work for a big corporate defense firm.  I would have made a lot more money if I had done so.  Instead, I chose to sleep well at night.  Some of what I do is, actually, motivated by a (perhaps-misguided) instinct to protect and defend the weak.  Without people like me, many people would have no access whatsoever to the Courts.

Thanks for the response.

-Laelth

Unlike some of our more fiery members, I believe in keeping everything civil until there is a reason not to, like returning fire.  You're completely right about the risk level, and it is a heartbreaker to invest the effort it takes to do a contested trial and come up empty, but then again that's why the rates are so high on the contingency cases, it spreads the losses.

My colleagues back in NYC, when I lived in NJ during the 90s, who did PI often worked the defense rather than the plaintiff's side, though; the insurance company house counsel were pretty cagey about contracting out any defense work they thought they would lose, and which would therefore reflect badly on them with the bean-counting corporate overlords.

The weak and powerless do need advocates, I completely agree with your policy argument there.  Even aside from PI, look back at how the patent laws were misused to freeze out the poor bastard who invented NTSC until his patents had expired.  There is an unfortunate, and probably accurate, impression among the laity that the process has run away with the ball to the cost of the actual players.

One reform I'd like to see would be on punitive damages, relatively rare though they really are.  Presently they are a windfall to the plaintiff and his attorney, unrelated to the actual harm suffered but imposed as punishment on the losing defendant, for no particular valid policy reason.  They scare the crap out of potential defendants, a fear exploited by insurers, and I believe it would rein in a lot of the abuses yet still accomplish the 'Punishment' aspect to simply force the defendant to forfeit 90%+ of the punitives into either the general Treasury (State or Federal, depending on the court) or into a targeted public fund like the Social Security general fund, or a fund to address the huge, looming, and realistically-unfunded burden of HCRA.       
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »
I have no doubt there are good Lawyers out there, but we can't ignore the fact that there are Lawyers who are ambulance chasers, than there Lawyers out there who have been bilking good Doctors for years. I remember 1 time we had a patient who had serious surgery, she signed an informed consent, was told that the surgery might not work, the complications that could come about by the surgery, she has the surgery, it didn't work, and she sued the entire group of Doctors, she lost the suit but those Doctors had to pay their Lawyers a heck of a lot. Many times Doctors just settle because it's cheaper, even if they're in the right. I would love to see panels put together, in the case of Malpractice cases have this panel made up of Medical Professionals, and let them make the decision if the Lawsuit was frivilous, and if they determine it to be so then if the person who brings the case loses? they pay. I have personal experience in this because my Father was misdiagnosed, he had Leukemia (we saw the medical records) but it wasn't until 6 months later when he went to another Doctor that it was confirmed. He thought about suing but when it went into remission he decided he didn't want to do it, he wasn't greedy and he wasn't looking for a free ride like a lot of people in our society today are.

You might be surprised to hear this, but the State Bar of Georgia actively hunts down and attempts to disbar ambulance chasers.  We know they make us look bad.

And I fully understand your concern about doctors.  We need doctors, and we need to make it easier (not harder) for people to be doctors.  But Plaintiffs' attorneys don't fight against the doctors, usually.  Yes, we have to name the doctor as a defendant in the suit, but the fight is between the Plaintiff's attorney and the insurance company and their attorneys.  And it's never a fair fight.  The insurance company can afford to fight to the death, and their attorneys get paid whether they win or lose, so they're happy to bury the Plaintiff's attorney in paperwork, hoping that we'll get exhausted and give up or sell out our clients for peanuts.  Lots of times, that's exactly what happens, too.

I think the whole argument that tort reform will bring down malpractice insurance premiums is a well-orchestrated lie.  In states that have adopted various forms of "tort reform," malpractice claims have gone down but premiums have gone up, and the insurance companies are making record profits year after year.  The insurance industry has been very successful with this lie, however.  Obama even mentioned the need for tort reform in his 2010 State of the Union address.  The Democratic Party has been conquered by the insurance companies, as evidenced by the massive insurance-company enrichment that will happen when the "health insurance enrichment act" goes into effect.  It's disgusting.

But the fight, I am suggesting, is not between doctors and Plaintiffs' lawyers; it's between the insurance companies (and their servants in both the Democratic and Republican parties) and the rest of us.  At least, that's what it looks like from my perspective.

-Laelth

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 01:55:53 PM »
So you're saying that the evil Corp. should be out of the 100K because your client is a democrat liar?

LOL.  I don't recall saying that anyone should be out that $100K.  What I said, I think, if that the rich corp. is going to be out that money no matter what if the defendant is poor.  And if rich corp. loses, they'll have to pay the Plainitff's attorney fees too.  Now, why would rich corp. want a system like that?

-Laelth

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
A conversation isn't (or doesn't have to be) a flame. We can choose to have an honest one WITHOUT talking points or not. Here's what I see every time I watch television: some law firm or other is advertising a class action law suit because of some medication or other. Perhaps in A FEW cases it's justified. But every single medication carries risk, even children's Tylenol (my nephew had a weird disease when he was a baby and he could only take aspirin). Anyone who swallows a pill (or a parent who gives their children medication) knows this. Drug trials are important but they can't possibly anticipate EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM that will come along. And often, the MAJORITY of people are helped by drug.

Acutane is a good example. Both my brother and sister took this in their teens and both are in their 30's and 40's. It was dangerous then and it's dangerous now. My niece who is 14, homeschooled, and not sexually active had to be on birth control while she was using it because the risk to the baby is so great. Yet, now there's a lawsuit being trotted out. The risks are (and have been) known for a couple decades now but when someone has exhausted all other alternatives it's the only thing that works for SEVERE acne. Things like this make medications cost more and stifle research.

Frivolous lawsuits abound. McDonald's coffee is hot. So are irons. Plastic bags do not belong on the heads of 2 year olds. Light a match to someone's pajamas and they generally catch on fire or melt. At some point people have to take responsibility. Life in general carries risk. If there was some kind of law that required the loser pay (or perhaps the law firm would absorb the cost of the suit) so as to keep the frivolous out of the courts, it would prevent some of this nonsense and expense (generally passed on to consumers). Some are important but most aren't.

I'd also argue that both parties get monies from corporations. And certain industries gravitate toward certain parties. That's life and beltway politics. But the banking industry, mortgage & investment firms gave the majority of their funds to Democrats (Obama and Dodd more than most). BP gave more to Obama than any other candidate. Both have been problematic. The filthy rich are (and give more) to Democrats than Republicans. More donations to the Republican party are from smaller donations. That's just a verifiable fact. It's neither bad nor good, just a fact. And unions give more to Democrats than they do to Republicans. They are a very rich special interest that often doesn't serve (or represents) those forced to belong. Look how many union MEMBERS have conservative values (still clinging to God and guns) and work ethic. And the NEA has long ago stopped representing teachers, becoming a top down, coercive group that has too much influence on government and gives local school districts too little autonomy.

So, if industries whose unions contribute to Democrats to gain influence, it would stand to reason that the companies that hire those union workers (especially when coerced) would gravitate to the other party. That kind of tension is important for a thriving republic. It's intellectually dishonest to say "corporations give to Republicans" and that the Republicans are the party of the rich. We can't get anywhere in this country if we're going to continue to spew (and believe) outdated stereotypes. Do hang around though if you want an honest debate.

Cindie

Wow.  That's a lot to respond to.  Thanks for the toughtful post.

And, yes, as this thread proves, a civil discussion is very possible in this environment.  I suppose my first post here was a little defensive.  Sorry about that.

As for the class actions, specifically product liability actions, here in GA only one class action can be brought for each defective product (and a percentage of the award, if the Plaintiffs' win, is supposed to go to the state).  Personally, I know little about these.  I am not set up to handle a class action.  That takes a large firm with a big bankroll.  I am a solo practicioner (as, by the way, are most attorneys).  There was a time when state bar associations didn't allow any advertising.  Your reaction is part of the reason.  People think it's tacky.  All the same, I defend attorney advertising because most people don't know any attorneys, personally, and advertising has given access to legal representation that many people did not have before.

Life does carry risk, but I can assure you that if a Plaintiff survives the 12b(6) motion to dismiss, survives the motion for summary judgment, then survives and wins at trial where a jury of 12 people rule for the Plaintiff, and then the judge doesn't enter a verdict against the Plaintiff not withstanding the judgment--if all of that happens, and Plaintiff wins every step of the way, I can assure you that the Defendant took an unreasonable risk that jeopardized someone, and that a lot of people agree the defendant should be punished for it to deter others from acting so dangerously.

The deck is stacked against Plainitff so strongly that, in nearly every case, if Plaintiff wins, Plaintiff deserved to win ... big time.  And if the jury awards Plaintiff big bucks (and the Judge doesn't immediately reduce the award--which judges often do), then you can assume that that the Defendant did was really, unacceptably dangerous.

That's how this issue looks from my end, in any event.  I don't see any frivilous lawsuits.  I can't afford to work for free, nor can most Plaintiffs' attorneys.  If I don't think I can win, I don't take the case.  It simply makes no sense for any Plaintiffs' attorney to take a case (for no pay unless they win) unless they have a strong belief that they can win, and there are too many hurdles for Plaintiff to get over before a case even gets to a jury for Plaintiffs' attorney to take a bad case.

I hope that makes sense and at least sheds some light on this issue.

-Laelth

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »
Loser pays, in that case, wouldn't have helped, would it?  A jury of 12 people unanimously found that McDonalds should not brew its coffee at 180 degrees because someone might just spill that coffee and get 3rd degree burns over a significant portion of their body.  The jury found that McDonalds was grossly negligent because the company had a policy of brewing its coffe at a temperature that was very dangerous.  The jury decided to punish McDonalds for that policy in order to send a message to others that it's not O.K. to hand people a cup full of a dangerous liquid out the window, knowing full well that if it slips, someone could be burned badly.  McDonalds now brews its coffee at a much lower temperature, and so do all other companies that serve coffee out of a window.  That's how tort law works, by the way--it punishes those who behave in a way that is dangerous to other people in order to eliminate the dangerous behavior.  And it works.  A big jury verdict like that makes the whole country safer.

In that case, though, because McDonalds lost, McDonalds would not only have to pay their own attorneys and the Plaintiff but also the Plaintiff's attorney.  I don't see how that would help.  But if the goal is to reduce the number of lawsuits, loser pays might do the trick.  Middle-classed people, in particular, would be very afraid to go to an attorney and bring a lawsuit because they might just lose.  I am not sure that would be beneficial, though.  Lots of people would effectively lose access to the Courts.

-Laelth

My comments on the two were not to be taken together, but I can see how it was confusing.

Personally, I have no sympathy with someone who doesn't realize that if you spill hot coffee in your lap it's gonna sting.  If it had been me, the last thing I'd be doing is suing McDonald's, but rather I'd making note that spilling hot coffee hurts.  I mean really, if we live in a society where you have to tell grown people to not spill hot coffee in their lap, then there's not enough laws and regulations to save us from ourselves.

The thing people get fed up with are the frivilous lawsuits.  One might say that's the price we pay for having a court system in the manner that we do, but it is nevertheless frustrating to average people who see these types of things and know that some dimwit who can't hold a cup of coffee is screwing things up for the rest of us.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »
That's a good question and one that I can't honestly answer.  I don't do any criminal defense work.

But this is what I was taught in law school.  Suspects have rights, and those rights belong to all of us.  Criminal defense attorneys are what stand between us and a police state.  When the rights of any suspect are violated by the police or the criminal justice system, the Court is supposed to protect all of our rights by not letting the police or the State get away with violating anyone's rights.  Now, if a suspect admits to his or her attorney that he or she is guilty, the attorney can still fight for a favorable plea bargain, but can't condone perjury, i.e. can't allow the suspect to get on the stand and lie.  When that happens, attorney is supposed to withdraw from representing that client.  But if client says he or she is innocent, attorney is duty bound to represent client zealously (because we all have the right to zealous representation), and we lose that right if there are no attorneys willing to do it.

Does that make nay sense?  Thanks for the response.

-Laelth

Thanks! glad you pointed out the part about the client admitting guilt and what basically is the Attorney's responsibility is if that happens. So in the cases of the Menendez Brothers and OJ Simpson, odds are they never admitted guilt to their Attorney's. A part of me thought that even if guilt was admitted the Attorney would still turn around and defend them.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 02:23:02 PM »

Cindie

I was given Levaquin a few times for Bronchitis, I'm the type of person who actually reads the precautions, drug interaction etc. it was always mentioned in the precautions that if you have tendon problems you shouldn't use Levaquin, at that time I didn't have tendon problems, but a few years down the road I did, I was given Levaquin again and this time I had a reaction in a tendon, but I didn't let my Doctor know I was having tendon issues, so it wasn't my Doctor's fault or the fault of the company that I didn't take heed. Now all of a sudden I'm seeing commercials on Levaquin and if you've had a tendon issue because of it to call this Lawyers office. Although it seems that most people have had a problem with pre-existing tendon issues, I've heard there are spontaneous cases that pop up where people have never had tendon issues and they tore while taking Levaquin. There are times though where you need to weigh the risks, Levaquin is an amazing drug if you need it.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
Interesting observation.  There was a time when well over 60% of people in the Georgia legislature were attorneys.  Now it's down to less than 25%.  From one perspective, it's good to have lawyer-legislators.  Lawyers study laws, and they do it for a living.  They argue laws in Court.  They know how to write them.  They know how to read them.  It just makes sense that you would want them to make the laws as well.  But, as attorneys become less and less popular, the sentiment you espouse becomes more widespread.  Most attoneys I know are in private practice--they either run their own business (like me) or they work for a firm that runs its own business.  To say that lawyers have no idea how business works seems a bit extreme to me.  It's also true, however, that the legislature benefits from having the perspectives of people from all walks of life and professions.  Personally, I'd like to see more poor people elected to office, but for them, given our current system, that's virtually impossible.

Thanks for the response.

-Laelth

I actually don't know that's always a good thing. The founders who wrote the Constitution which is the document on which all laws are (supposedly) based weren't all lawyers. Some had college, some not. They were rich & poor, lawyers, laborers, frontiersmen, store keepers, farmers, black & white, religious and not, Jewish, protestant, slaveowners and those who found the practice abhorrent. Most, even those whose education consisted of reading the Bible between farm chores, were still very well educated. The OT, Greek philosophy, Roman law, all were known to early Americans. A well-informed people don't need lawyers writing laws. Case in point: the Constitution has guided our country for over 200 years. Everyone from my (extremely wise) 91 year old grandmother with a 4th grade education to my Marine Corps son with a degree can understand and apply it to their lives. Then there's the health care bill that's so long and convoluted even the writers are discovering there's too many unintended consequences. NO law, NONE should be so difficult that any citizen can't pick it up and read and understand. Nor should any law be passed that hasn't been read by the legislators voting on it. We shouldn't have to "wait until it's passed" to see what's in it. Convoluted laws give government and lawyers more power than the people. The government serves US, not the other way around. It's why most conservatives prefer local government. The feds are too big and too far removed from the people to work FOR them anymore.

Look, I live in Oregon. It's my home and I love it but I'm well aware it's a very liberal state and I probably won't think many of the laws passed are just swell. But I have the CHOICE to move to Georgia or Michigan or Alaska if I want a different kind of lifestyle or legislature. I'm probably more libertarian than most here when it comes to gay marriage and if Massachusetts wants to pass a gay marriage law, more power to them. That doesn't mean Alabama should have to recognize said marriage. Does that complicate things? Possibly, but that doesn't make it bad.

It's why I got so ticked when the feds under Bush were fighting Oregon's right to die law. I didn't vote for it and given the chance I would vote against it again. But, the feds need to BUTT out because it's what WE voted for. Same with states that want to use capital punishment (or not), legalize medical marijuana (or not), or outlaw abortion (or not). When a monolithic, impersonal entity does something it can only paint everyone with a broad brush. That's not the way the founders intended it and isn't the way this big beautiful, complicated, diverse nation should be.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
I don't see any frivilous lawsuits.

Wow, I do, and way too often.

Had I been on the jury, I wouldn't have charged McDonald's because someone spilled their hot coffee.  Everyone knows if you spill hot coffee on yourself you're likely going to get burned.  After the trial, I would have been inclined to walk over to the Plaintiff with a cup of hot coffee, and then start tilting the cup their way while saying "Here, let me remind you of why you need to be careful when you drink hot coffee."  But, I can be that way sometimes.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
Unlike some of our more fiery members, I believe in keeping everything civil until there is a reason not to, like returning fire.  You're completely right about the risk level, and it is a heartbreaker to invest the effort it takes to do a contested trial and come up empty, but then again that's why the rates are so high on the contingency cases, it spreads the losses.

My colleagues back in NYC, when I lived in NJ during the 90s, who did PI often worked the defense rather than the plaintiff's side, though; the insurance company house counsel were pretty cagey about contracting out any defense work they thought they would lose, and which would therefore reflect badly on them with the bean-counting corporate overlords.

The weak and powerless do need advocates, I completely agree with your policy argument there.  Even aside from PI, look back at how the patent laws were misused to freeze out the poor bastard who invented NTSC until his patents had expired.  There is an unfortunate, and probably accurate, impression among the laity that the process has run away with the ball to the cost of the actual players.

One reform I'd like to see would be on punitive damages, relatively rare though they really are.  Presently they are a windfall to the plaintiff and his attorney, unrelated to the actual harm suffered but imposed as punishment on the losing defendant, for no particular valid policy reason.  They scare the crap out of potential defendants, a fear exploited by insurers, and I believe it would rein in a lot of the abuses yet still accomplish the 'Punishment' aspect to simply force the defendant to forfeit 90%+ of the punitives into either the general Treasury (State or Federal, depending on the court) or into a targeted public fund like the Social Security general fund, or a fund to address the huge, looming, and realistically-unfunded burden of HCRA.      

Hey, thanks for the thoughtful and understanding post.   :cheersmate:

But I have to add that losing a contingency fee case is not just heartbreaking, it's bankrupting.  I really can't afford to do all that work for free.  Some of the more wealthy Plaintiffs' firms can afford to lose a few ... a few, but even they can't afford to lose many.  And you're right to say that state bar association allow contingent fee contracts to make up for the fact that Plaintiffs' attorneys are going to lose a few.  It is hoped that they will be able to make up those losses on cases that they win.  But "tort reform" is making this harder and harder.  If the insurance companies had their way, they would drive all the Plaintiffs' attorneys out of business and then nobody, no matter how badly injured, would have the ability to sue because there would be no lawyers willing to do it.

And I have to disagree with you on the issue of punitive damages.  They do serve a useful social purpose (or, they're supposed to, at least).  They're supposed to deter risky behavior.  Neither McDonalds, nor any other restaurant who serves coffee from a window, now serves it at a dangerously hot temperature.  Why?  Because McDonalds got slapped hard with a big punitive damages award to deter that kind of risky behavior.  If the award had been small, it would not have been an effective deterrent.  McDonalds would have just written it off or factored the cost of the verdict into the cost of doing business.  Instaed, with a big (and unlimited) punitive damages award, McDonalds got the message and ended its dangerous corporate practice.  Other companies got the message too.  In this way, the risk of a big punitive damages award makes us all safer.  Some of these corps. are so big and so wealthy that they won't change their risky behavior without the threat of a huge judgment against them.  Limiting the size of punitive damages takes away the deterrent effect of tort law.

Despite this, legislatures around the country are moving to limit punitive damages.  I think this is a mistake.

-Laelth
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:43:46 PM by Laelth »

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 02:35:55 PM »
Wow.  That's a lot to respond to.  Thanks for the toughtful post.

And, yes, as this thread proves, a civil discussion is very possible in this environment.  I suppose my first post here was a little defensive.  Sorry about that.

As for the class actions, specifically product liability actions, here in GA only one class action can be brought for each defective product (and a percentage of the award, if the Plaintiffs' win, is supposed to go to the state).  Personally, I know little about these.  I am not set up to handle a class action.  That takes a large firm with a big bankroll.  I am a solo practicioner (as, by the way, are most attorneys).  There was a time when state bar associations didn't allow any advertising.  Your reaction is part of the reason.  People think it's tacky.  All the same, I defend attorney advertising because most people don't know any attorneys, personally, and advertising has given access to legal representation that many people did not have before.

Life does carry risk, but I can assure you that if a Plaintiff survives the 12b(6) motion to dismiss, survives the motion for summary judgment, then survives and wins at trial where a jury of 12 people rule for the Plaintiff, and then the judge doesn't enter a verdict against the Plaintiff not withstanding the judgment--if all of that happens, and Plaintiff wins every step of the way, I can assure you that the Defendant took an unreasonable risk that jeopardized someone, and that a lot of people agree the defendant should be punished for it to deter others from acting so dangerously.

The deck is stacked against Plainitff so strongly that, in nearly every case, if Plaintiff wins, Plaintiff deserved to win ... big time.  And if the jury awards Plaintiff big bucks (and the Judge doesn't immediately reduce the award--which judges often do), then you can assume that that the Defendant did was really, unacceptably dangerous.

That's how this issue looks from my end, in any event.  I don't see any frivilous lawsuits.  I can't afford to work for free, nor can most Plaintiffs' attorneys.  If I don't think I can win, I don't take the case.  It simply makes no sense for any Plaintiffs' attorney to take a case (for no pay unless they win) unless they have a strong belief that they can win, and there are too many hurdles for Plaintiff to get over before a case even gets to a jury for Plaintiffs' attorney to take a bad case.

I hope that makes sense and at least sheds some light on this issue.

-Laelth

I have no problem lawyers advertising either. And I'm not sure I know any lawyers so your perspective is helpful. I didn't realize getting a lawsuit to trial was so complicated.

Cindie
Mick Foley

Hedy Lamarr

Morticia Addams

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »
The problem I have with PI attorneys is; The whole world must be painted as dangerous.  If an attorney for a company didn't point out that it might be dangerous to ride a bicycle at night THEN someone buys said bike and rides it at night and gets hurt .... well then THAT COMPANY SHOULD HAVE WARNED THE PUBLIC!!!!

See, it's the stupid shit that pisses off the masses ... all so attorneys on both sides can get paid.

Insurance companies and lawyers run our country right now and I think it's sad.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen