Author Topic: Mind Bending Stupidity: Visa gift card, what a ****ing rip off!!  (Read 3106 times)

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: Mind Bending Stupidity: Visa gift card, what a ******* rip off!!
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 07:29:25 AM »
I save up used visa gift cards with small balances and then use them all at the gas station. If one care has 1.50 on it and another as 6.32 on it then I pump twice. First time for 1.50 worth of gas and the second time for 6.32. Cards get used completely and I get gas. The gas station is the best place to finish of a card.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Re: Mind Bending Stupidity: Visa gift card, what a ****ing rip off!!
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 08:00:13 AM »
Wounder how the DUmmy would feel if he knew that gas stations put a 75.00 hold on debit cards when you get gas.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
Wounder how the DUmmy would feel if he knew that gas stations put a 75.00 hold on debit cards when you get gas.
B of A only ensures there is a $1 balance. I know, I got my wallet stolen and they pumped $175 in gas...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline EastFacingNorth

• Math Geek
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 11:45:18 PM »
As previously mentioned, AMEX gift cards do carry a monthly maintenance fee.  Many other gift cards have a monthly maintenance fee as well, but these often do not come into effect until a pre-defined period of account inactivity.

Modern-day gift cards aren't like the gift certificates of years past.  They're essentially debit cards - usually you can add balance to them.  Account maintenance fees are just that - since, unlike a gift certificate, it does not have a plainly stated face value but an electronically stored value linked to an account number stored in some database somewhere, there are overhead expenses.  Maintenance fees recoup those expenses.

Unintended consequence of the success of consumer advocacy groups who lobbied to make gift certificate expiration dates illegal.
Taxation if and only if Representation.

The Founding Fathers only got it half right.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 12:42:01 AM »

Unintended consequence of the success of consumer advocacy groups who lobbied to make gift certificate expiration dates illegal.

They believe that their ideals can rewrite the laws of reality, overturn common sense and outlaw cause and effect.

OK, their stoopid.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 03:40:58 AM »
Gotta call bullshit on this one.  How did the gas pump know how much money it was going to spend? 

What probably happened is the computer put a hold on $75 to make sure the card had enough balance and when it came back as insufficient it wouldn't turn on.  It probably could have taken the card inside and explained to the cashier that it wanted to get more than $30 gas and the cashier could have turned the pump on to $30 and taken the rest in cash.

KC

Yup, that is exactly how it works. The DUmmie is just, well a DUmmie..... :lmao:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 04:37:48 AM »
They believe that their ideals can rewrite the laws of reality, overturn common sense and outlaw cause and effect.

The problem is--they have someone in the White House who thinks that way, too, but he's learning just how things really work.  The DUmb****s don't have a prayer of finding this out.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.