Author Topic: Politico: Biden will not invoke 14th Amendment, deputy Treasury secretary says  (Read 227 times)

Offline DUmpDiver

brooklynite (86,833 posts)

Politico: Biden will not invoke 14th Amendment, deputy Treasury secretary says

President Joe Biden will not invoke the 14th Amendment in the debt ceiling fight, Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo said.

“I think the president and secretary are clear that that will not solve our problems now. So, yes, that is a no,” Adeyemo said on CNN Friday morning when asked about the issue.

White House officials have said they don’t see the 14th Amendment — which says the “validity of the public debt” cannot be questioned — as a viable means of circumventing debt ceiling negotiations. Biden himself has said that he sees a bipartisan deal as the only option to the current standoff, casting doubt on the 14th Amendment as workable in public remarks.

Adeyemo’s remarks are the most concrete indication yet that Biden does not plan to use the amendment to solve the nation’s debt ceiling issue. The U.S. risks economic calamity if a debt deal isn’t reached.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/26/biden-14th-amendment-debt-ceiling-00098977

TheBlackAdder (26,556 posts)

19. My view is, since it's in the Constitution, Pres. Biden should not have to invoke it.

Any failure to pay debts would be the fault of Congress, more specifically the House as they charge the bills.

Not paying the US Debt would be their failure. Unfortunately, there are no punishments for not doing it.

===

If a default occurs and all NO Voters were permanently barred from serving, or were imprisoned, this shit would stop.

Nah, let's jail Biden instead.

Offline Old n Grumpy

I think the president and secretary are clear that that will not solve our problems now. So, yes, that is a no,” Adeyemo said on CNN Friday morning when asked about the issue.

The only real solution is to get rid of the entire administration  :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline jukin

He won't need to McCarthy will give him 99% of what he wants.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Delmar

TheBlackAdder (26,556 posts)

19. My view is, since it's in the Constitution, Pres. Biden should not have to invoke it.

Spend all they want, borrow, and print more--just like it says in the constitution. :mental:
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline ADsOutburst

He won't need to McCarthy will give him 99% of what he wants.

Indeed. With "opponents" like McCarthy, who needs allies (or constitutional powers)?