Author Topic: Nick Sandmann's media libel lawsuits dismissed by federal judge  (Read 319 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Nick Sandmann's media libel lawsuits dismissed by federal judge
https://www.foxnews.com/media/nick-sandmann-media-libel-lawsuits-dismissed-federal-judge

U.S. District Eastern Kentucky Court Judge William Bertelsman on Wednesday threw out five media libel lawsuits brought forth by former Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann.

In January 2019, Sandmann was at the center of a viral video that showed him face-to-face with Native American man Nathan Phillips as Phillips banged a drum and sang a traditional song. Sandmann was 16 years old at the time and wore a red "Make America Great Again" cap.

Several mainstream media outlets portrayed the video as racially charged with Sandmann antagonizing Phillips by standing in front of him and smiling. However, additional footage later showed that their confrontation was provoked by a group of Black Hebrew Israelites who hurled racial slurs at him and his fellow students. Phillips was later seen approaching Sandmann as tension rose between the students and the Black Hebrew Israelites.

While Sandmann filed several lawsuits against media outlets that defamed him at the time, Bertelsman dismissed cases against The New York Times, CBS, ABC, Gannett Co. Inc, and Rolling Stone, claiming that media assertions that Sandmann "blocked" Phillips were protected opinions at the time.

Nick Sandmann should appeal.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nick Sandmann's media libel lawsuits dismissed by federal judge
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 10:34:20 PM »
Well, not all of his lawsuits were dismissed. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 10:42:09 PM »
Sandmann's attorneys would've informed his team about residual shortfalls like dismissals as they began their crusade.  The Sandmann-suits were a smashing success.  The media-culprits took direct hits, losing an enormous amount of cash.

The media are victims of their own belief that Native Americans resort to whacko-stereotypes of Native Americans whenever they publicly protest something.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 09:23:55 AM »
I am of the protected opinion that a judge, who I will not name, now has some relatives working for The New York Times, CBS, ABC, Gannett Co. Inc, and Rolling Stone. Interesting how that happens.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 10:17:38 AM »
I am of the protected opinion that a judge, who I will not name, now has some relatives working for The New York Times, CBS, ABC, Gannett Co. Inc, and Rolling Stone. Interesting how that happens.

Just shooting from the hip here, but in my unbridled opinion, the judges hearing Sandmann's cases have decided he's cashed in enough already. That's how's Sandmann's been able to afford launching the additional lawsuits.

The message is - "OK, Nick. You've had your fun. Now pay your lawyers and go back to do whatever the hell you were doing before all this."
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 11:38:14 AM »
Remember this the next time someone says freedom of speech has limits, and they give defamation as an example. History has shown us it is no easy task to prove defamation, even to the point where people can make counterfactual claims about someone, and face basically no consequences.