Author Topic: At age 65, I never thought I would live in an America where  (Read 543 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
At age 65, I never thought I would live in an America where
« on: January 14, 2022, 08:36:09 PM »
Ferrets are Cool (15,229 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216247921

It can be criminal to teach history in classrooms.

The right to vote is being challenged.

Science is evil.

There was a attempted coup in the nations Capital.

Civil war is openly discussed at a viable option.

Children being shot is so commonplace that it's not even news.

The right to abortion would be "virtually" outlawed.

Fascism is openly celebrated.

The Supreme Court has been radicalized by the right.

We could very possibly lose our Democracy.

:yawn:

:mental:

dem4decades (8,410 posts)

3. And I stopped drinking, may have to reevaluate. I guess that's how the Russians survive.

:whatever:

Star Member cilla4progress (17,936 posts)

4. I think we are going to lose it -

and once lost, it will be excruciatingly difficult to get it back, if at all...

Here is a quote I just came across, that I like:

"There is no rhyme or reason. There is only the chilling reminder that we live precariously and die randomly, and that there is honor
in facing each day with purpose and grace."

This was shared with me here, some time ago. I just did a Google search and found it was a quote from an article in the LA Times about a train crash that occurred there in 2005, killing some of the passengers.

I posted it on my (physical) bulletin board at home alongside a Howard Zinn quote posted here in another thread this morning:

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty,
but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness.

What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to
do something. If we remember those times and places – and there are so many – where people have behaved magnificently, this
gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction.

And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession
of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous
victory."

Fare well, dear Ferret!

Star Member LakeArenal (20,511 posts)

7. Just got legal residency in Costa Rica Whew!

I guess they don’t call us ex-pats for nothin’!

Seriously. Think of a temporary or permanent move somewhere. You still have your right to vote.

There’s no reason to watch from the front Row.

Can still phone bank, donate, and network in other countries.

:loser:

cinematicdiversions (1,563 posts)

15. Are you an immigrant?

I was alive in 1968, as were you

You certainly have lived in an America just like that unless you are a recent immigrant.

:bs:

Star Member pfitz59 (8,693 posts)

16. 40 years of Reaganomics and Faux News

has taken its toll.

Star Member vercetti2021 (6,792 posts)

17. Sadly

Seems like a total fall out will be the only way to save the country. Democracy won't die unless we allow it. God be damned if I go out without a fight

Mysterian (2,804 posts)

21. I wonder if the USA must lose a war to finally "grow up"

If the fascists gain power and establish a dictatorship in the former USA, there will be war and it will be lost. I hope the nation in which I was born survives.

Star Member Elwood P Dowd (11,185 posts)

24. We're getting close to where Germany was

just before the Reichstag fire.

Augiedog (2,300 posts)

23. My wife and I were talking about this very thing. I'm older than you and a Viet Nam vet

and I am horrified by what i see.

When I watched the January 6th attack on the capital and our democracy my heart sank and I felt an unusual kind of fury. That anger surprised me…i am extremely well trained in conflict de-escalation, yet saw red for the first time in a very long time.

When I witness the derangement of the right wing in our country I have believed that some sort of consequences would change the behavior of the extremists, that their political leaders would see the danger and restrain them. No such luck, they are using them as a shield, dupes and cannon fodder.

We may be looking into the abyss, and what is looking back is not going to be kind to us.

As I said at the beginning, I was talking to my wife about this and one of my thoughts was that I’m glad I won’t have to live all that long under what may well be the death of our nation as a democracy. Although I am ridiculously healthy…so there is that. So as long as we are allowed to vote, and that is clearly in question, I will vote democratic.

We need our democratic leaders to step into the breach and go after these extremist elements, be they insurrectionists, domestic terrorists, billionaire financiers or their politically powerful leaders…no matter who they are.

Star Member CaptainTruth (4,032 posts)

29. And I never thought I would feel motivated to buy firearms...

...to protect myself from crazy people who want me to die for no other reason than my political philosophy... but here I am... shopping for options.

It's truly sad & I'm doing everything I can to change reality. We all must work together toward that goal.

Star Member vercetti2021 (6,792 posts)

32. Yep

From personal experience dealing with my right wing neighbor threatening us many years ago. I decided to not take a chance. I own a few rifles and some handguns. Mainly due to that fact of these people cannot be reasoned with. Push comes to shove, shove first before you're dead

:whatever:

Lonestarblue (4,836 posts)

30. I'm a decade older than you, but I too have been amazed at how quickly Trump pulled

decades of Republican culture wars and anti-government sentiment together to almost overturn democracy in one fell swoop. Our democratic institutions barely held, and they have been weakened since with voter suppression laws and a Supreme Court that is ready to overturn laws based on their religious views. One of their more pernicious actions with the Texas abortion law is that they have made it legal for state governments to loose vigilantes on the public and allow them to deny people of their rights under federal law. Vigilantes take the law into their own hands, as we saw with the McMichaels in Georgia as they murdered a man because they thought they could get away with it as privileged white people.

We will have perhaps a decade where Republicans will steal elections and no one will hold them accountable if they also hold the presidency and both house of Congress. The current Supreme Court is useless unless it is just a rubber stamp for whatever Republicans and religious extremists want to do. I wish I knew what could save us, but I think it most likely lies in the hands of those in their 20s and 30s, who will need to carry on our fight if they want democracy for themselves.

BidenRocks (201 posts)

33. Firearms are easy.

Ammo is hard.
So we end up with militant rookies.
Good luck with that.
This Marine has 50 rounds of 45.

I plan on taking the overarmed lardass down and taking their stuff.
They are mobile ammo depots.

Let's not play this game!

:rotf:

Star Member llashram (3,770 posts)

48. at 74

I see a loose confederation of American states on its way. I don't think I'll see this happen. Yet there is too much ideological difference in our society. There is a Supreme Court that will move us far right. I see the lower courts as like the fake courts that rubber-stamped Hitler's edicts. Rittenhouse has started me thinking this way. Voting rights as a lever for putting millions off the nationwide voting rolls. Women will lose their rights to make decisions about their own bodies and POC will end up again with slavery by another name.

I should have gotten out 10 years ago.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: At age 65, I never thought I would live in an America where
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:32:16 PM »
BidenRocks (201 posts)

33. Firearms are easy.

Let's not play this game!
Yeah, Sure you're a marine. That would involve some sort of discipline, a trait sorely lacking in DUmmies.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 06:30:42 AM »

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 07:40:07 AM »
Yeah, Sure you're a marine. That would involve some sort of discipline, a trait sorely lacking in DUmmies.

I would imagine not much training goes on with just 50 rounds in the sock drawer.  ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 08:04:48 AM »
And the Founding Fathers would have looked at you leftist/prog freaks and recoiled in horror. Your fear of things that aren’t even close to happening, like the “end of democracy”, has turned you even more authoritarian and totalitarian than you leftists already were. For all practical purposes, you want to outlaw anyone who disagrees with you while calling it freedom and justice. Your actions and attitudes will not be forgotten

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »
Well, I never thought I'd live in an America where murdering one's own child was legal.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 09:25:26 AM »
I've never heard anyone opine that science is evil.

Science becoming entangled with politics, however, is evil.

I never thought I'd live in an America where...

People oppose the security and transparency that makes democratic elections possible.

The right to self-defense is questioned.

Domestic terrorism is called protest.

Politicians openly call for censorship.

Expanding the court on a whim is even a question.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:39:15 AM by ADsOutburst »

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 10:13:31 AM »
I’d love for someone to post the definition of fascism and ask for examples they can share with their “friends they’re arguing with on Facebook.”

The replies would be telling.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 10:32:34 AM »

:thumbsup:

Hell's bells!  Wrong smiley, sigh! 

Try this one Old n Grumpy ... :hi5:

~ ABC
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:36:29 AM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 10:35:34 AM »
And yet, it's not the republicans or conservatives who have moved much of any, politically, since the 80s.

It's the dem-collectivist-left who have moved far far left, and now they point fingers at everyone else and claim that positions held essentially the same since the 80s on things like immigration, taxes, gun rights, and so on, are "far right" .

It's all true, and it's recorded history.

"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 10:40:15 AM »

It can be criminal to teach history in classrooms. Stupidly false claim

The right to vote is being challenged. Stupidly false, Biden-speech-worthy claim

Science is evil. Ludicrously false claim

There was a attempted coup in the nations Capital. Ludicrously false claim

Civil war is openly discussed at a viable option. It is true that DU-folk have openly discussed Blue-states secession and fomenting a civil, during Trump's Administration, and again as some court decisions aren't going DU-folks' way.

Children being shot is so commonplace that it's not even news. Welcome to Democrat-ruled-cities reality.

The right to abortion would be "virtually" outlawed. There is no "right to abortion" in the US Constitution.

Fascism is openly celebrated. Stupidly false claim

The Supreme Court has been radicalized by the right. Labeling cases that didn't go your way as "radical" doesn't make it so.

We could very possibly lose our Democracy. Repeatedly parroting the "Our Democracy" talking point does not change the fact that the US is a republic, not a democracy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:42:59 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 10:47:37 AM »
BidenRocks (201 posts)

33. Firearms are easy.

Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, I don't think a single box of .45 ACP will suffice to take out an "overarmed lardass" and "take" their "mobile ammo depots". I suspect this "Marine" is a pretender, but LPC noobs gotta play

:badass:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 11:00:58 AM »
Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, I don't think a single box of .45 ACP will suffice to take out an "overarmed lardass" and "take" their "mobile ammo depots". I suspect this "Marine" is a pretender, but LPC noobs gotta play

:badass:

50 rounds of anything is an hour and a half at the range (if you take your time)..
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 11:31:55 AM »
I've never heard anyone opine that science is evil.

Science becoming entangled with politics, however, is evil.

I never thought I'd live in an America where...

People oppose the security and transparency that makes democratic elections possible.

The right to self-defense is questioned.

Domestic terrorism is called protest.

Politicians openly call for censorship.

Expanding the court on a whim is even a question.

Let me add I never thought I'd live in an America where the phase "Papers please" in the form of proof of vaccination would be acceptable.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline jukin

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 02:17:10 PM »
40 years ago I thought that racism had been utterly banished to the outer fringes of US society, and segregation was a thing of the past (and good riddance to both!).

Now anti-white and anti-Asian racism is Dem/Prog orthodoxy and segregation is quickly becoming Prog, maybe Dem, mainstream.