Author Topic: One possible problem with eliminating the filibuster  (Read 391 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
One possible problem with eliminating the filibuster
« on: January 13, 2022, 08:02:49 AM »
Star Member Kablooie (17,306 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216240333

One possible problem with eliminating the filibuster to get new voting laws passed...

They assume that Manchin and Sinema would support the new laws ... but what if they don't ?

The filibuster would be gone and no laws to protect voting had passed so the Senate would shift to Republicans.
Republicans would then be free to pass new voting laws that cement their majority in perpetuity and there would be nothing that the Democratic minority could do about it.

If the filibuster remained, at least the Dem minority could block anti-democratic laws.
That is until the Republicans remove the filibuster themselves, which, of course, they would be likely to do.

I guess they have to try right now. It's dangerous but still the only way to potentially protect our Democracy and just hope that those two dangerous Senators have enough sense to go along.

:whatever:

Voltaire2 (9,880 posts)

1. Do nothing we lose. Do something we may get still lose.

One is a certainty, the other is a possibility.

Beastly Boy (3,852 posts)

2. Another possible problem is it will make the voting laws easier to repeal. But not as easy as if

the laws never materialize in the first place.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. But double damned if you don't pass the voting laws at all.

Star Member brooklynite (75,099 posts)

5. Is your crackpot idea that Manchin would join with Republicans to pass new voting restrictions?

sigh..

:thatsright:

Star Member PufPuf23 (7,487 posts)

9. My perception now is that Manchin and Sinema will categorically reject any major legislation by the

Biden administration and, as shown in case of Manchin with BBB, Manchin will gladly modify in compromise, then torpedo.

The filibuster at present is an aberration inhibiting need for statesmanship and pols going on the record by vote.

Star Member ecstatic (29,426 posts)

11. This isn't the time for hand wringing

As I type, hundreds of thousands of Americans have already lost their right to vote and have it counted. The time for overthinking is over with. Democratic lawmakers must either protect democracy or get the **** out the way.

:mental:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: One possible problem with eliminating the filibuster
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 09:16:16 AM »
Voltaire2 (9,880 posts)

how about you follow the rules as set forth and quit trying to move the goal posts just so you can win this one game, then put them back and demand they be followed when your party is the minority?

Star Member PufPuf23 (7,487 posts)

9. My perception now is that Manchin and Sinema will categorically reject any major legislation by the

Biden administration and, as shown in case of Manchin with BBB, Manchin will gladly modify in compromise, then torpedo.

The filibuster at present is an aberration inhibiting need for statesmanship and pols going on the record by vote.

You bed wetters took great joy when the McCain refused to side with his fellow republicans to repeal obamacare, so this is karma.  enjoy the suck  :bird:

As I type, hundreds of thousands of Americans have already lost their right to vote and have it counted.

please cite specific examples of these hundreds of thousands of Americans who have lost their right to vote or have their votes counted.

...If you can
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 04:29:53 PM »
Ever since DU started in 2001, they’ve made claims that Republicans were going to do all these things. Republicans are going to end the filibuster, Republicans are going to end Social Security, Republicans are going to end Medicare, Republicans are going to start WW3, Republicans are going to reinstate slavery, Republicans are going to end the women’s vote, Republicans are going to throw Democrats into concentration camps, Republicans are going to shut down the media, Republicans are going to ……..

But of all the things they’ve listed over the years that they believe Republicans are going to do, we have documented at this site time and time again their desire to do many of those very things they claim Republicans want to do.

Projection, thy name is leftist.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 06:21:18 PM »
Voltaire2 (9,880 posts)

With the doddering old eunuch Biden running the show, losing is a certainty.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 11:55:03 AM »

As I type, hundreds of thousands of Americans have already lost their right to vote and have it counted.
That happens when dead people are removed from the voter rolls.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »
It is amazing how stupid these people are -- both DUmmies and democrats.  One of the OLDEST rules in politics is: "Never take on a rule you do not want used against you."

If it was not for principles I would have LOVED to see and end to the filibuster rule as it is likely the Red Wave is coming this year no matter HOW much the dems cheat.    Rs would rule the roost pretty much forever.

You would think they would have learned by what happened in the courts.  But I guess not.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 12:24:58 PM »
It is amazing how stupid these people are -- both DUmmies and democrats.  One of the OLDEST rules in politics is: "Never take on a rule you do not want used against you."

If it was not for principles I would have LOVED to see and end to the filibuster rule as it is likely the Red Wave is coming this year no matter HOW much the dems cheat.    Rs would rule the roost pretty much forever.

You would think they would have learned by what happened in the courts.  But I guess not.

Democraps want to end the filibuster today, and when they lose the mid-terms, will fight to have it re-instated because they're being "disenfranchised" because they have no voice and thus no power to stop what the republicans will do.

The alphabets, big tech, print media and every liberal pundit will then blame a rule change democraps wanted on republicans for blocking democraps ability to stop bad legislation (in their opinion).

Bank on it.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.