Author Topic: September 15, 2007---that's the date when my eyes were belatedly opened  (Read 321 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Atticus (12,111 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216236595

September 15, 2007

---that's the date when my eyes were belatedly opened to the shameless mendacity that could make it into national newspapers when it was uttered to "journalists" who were actually stenographers.

Starting the day before the scheduled anti-war protest, we drove straight through to DC from Illinois, threw our one bag into a room at the Harrington and walked over to LaFayette Park to hear Ralph Nader and Cindy Sheehan speak. The crowd was AMAZING!--12 foot tall wearable moving puppets, including an oil pump to portray the motive for the war--- some "straight arrow" citizens and some "less traditional" citizens smoking up in the trees ("We get high to get high!" ). I'm told loose joints were available for a reasonable fee.

LaFayette was SRO and overflowed out of sight in all directions. When we started off toward the Capitol, we filled the Avenue---six lanes, I believe---curb to curb. While I could not see either the leaders or those at the tail end of the crowd, I was told we were 16 blocks long and I believed it.

Along the route we marched we passed a section ov temporary bleachers that some wingers had rented and erected abutting the sidewalk. You'll be shocked, I know, but they actually screamed obscenities and threats at us "commies and hippies" and told us to "get a job". Several marchers smiled and displayed the "universal hand gesture of disdain" to the group which numbered 300 to 500. More about these folks later.

At the Capitol, we sat or reclined on the lawn. Over 100 peacefully crossed police lines and layed down, portraying war dead in a "die in".

Mostly, we played music, sang and waved our signs for the TV cameras. After a couple hours, we walked back to the Harrington and drank a couple pitches al fresco. It was great to be part of a large crowd of people who shared our opinion of the war and Bush in general.

The next morning, I opened the newspaper to read an "interview" with several of those 300 to 500 "patriots" in the temporary bleachers who screamed threats and obscenities at us. According to their account---WHICH WAS UNCHALLENGED---there were "a few hundred" anti-war marchers who were "outnumbered by counter-protesters who support the President!" ( An independent aerial photographer and experienced crowd estimator hired by ANSWER put the crowd at 74,000, give or take 8,000 )

My wife and I read that several times in disbelief and searched in vain for quotes from any who marched. As the saying goes, "the scales fell from our eyes". We have since then been very selective in how we get our news and view nearly all "quotes" with a jaundiced eye.

I still have the button from that March---among others---hanging on my mirror. I imagine a few on this board have similar buttons and took part in that day.

:yawn:

Star Member Irish_Dem (19,591 posts)

4. The MIC knew it would make $Trillons from endless mideast wars.

The fix was in from the start.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: September 15, 2007---that's the date when my eyes were belatedly opened
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 09:11:59 AM »
Cindy Sheehan ... Cindy Sheehan ... Cindy Sheehan ... is that the Cindy Sheehan the Dems and the MSM exploited while she was useful against GWB and then dumped for being the loony-toon she as after her usefulness was expired?

Ralph Nader ... is that the same Ralph Nader good little DUpipo blamed for GWB being elected President instead of AlGore?

Two sentences in, then tl;dr. Who does Flatus think he is? Garrulous Sot Nance?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 09:38:13 AM »
At the Capitol, we sat or reclined on the lawn. Over 100 peacefully crossed police lines and layed down, portraying war dead in a "die in".

almost sounds to me like some sort of insurrection took place on that day... :whistling:
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:57:07 AM »
Quote from:
Atticus

Ralph Nader and Cindy Sheehan speak…… 12 foot tall wearable moving puppets, including an oil pump to portray the motive for the war…….. some "less traditional" citizens smoking up in the trees ("We get high to get high!" )……… Over 100 layed down, portraying war dead in a "die in"….. we played music, sang and waved our signs for the TV cameras.

Leftist “protest” is always more of a freak show than something to be taken seriously.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 10:08:01 AM »

almost sounds to me like some sort of insurrection took place on that day... :whistling:

Actually no, because no Capitol Police officer shot and killed an unarmed "protester".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 10:08:27 AM »
Atticus 'was told loose joints were available' because he probably asked if loose joints were available.  That was most-likely 75% of the reason for being there... listening to predictable snooze-inducers like Sheehan & code pink.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 10:25:43 AM »
Atticus 'was told loose joints were available' because he probably asked if loose joints were available.  That was most-likely 75% of the reason for being there... listening to predictable snooze-inducers like Sheehan & code pink.

He probably was there hoping for free :stoner: and free Code Skank :moon: .

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 10:33:47 AM »
Cindy Sheehan ... Cindy Sheehan ... Cindy Sheehan ... is that the Cindy Sheehan the Dems and the MSM exploited while she was useful against GWB and then dumped for being the loony-toon she as after her usefulness was expired?
The Left kicked Sheehan to the curb when she got too big for her britches and tried running for Pelosi's seat.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 12:15:42 PM »

Ralph Nader ... is that the same Ralph Nader good little DUpipo blamed for GWB being elected President instead of AlGore?

Two sentences in, then tl;dr. Who does Flatus think he is? Garrulous Sot Nance?

The "Ditch Bitch" is being invoked for Atticus suddenly becoming a woketard. :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender