Author Topic: Trump's troops: The far-right has a tight grip on too many in uniform  (Read 384 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member SharonClark (8,387 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216234479

Trump's troops: The far-right has a tight grip on too many in uniform

Excellent commentary from Heather Digby Parton . . .

What if Trump leads another insurrection? How many military and law enforcement members will stand firm?
[snip]
Until the January 6th insurrection, Trump was the nation's most vociferous defender of police. But on that day he was strangely reserved, tepidly tweeting that the rioters should be respectful but pretty much remaining hands-off for hours as his rabid followers stormed the U.S. Capitol and assaulted hundreds of police who were trying to keep the mob from attacking members of Congress. That night he said the violent horde that did the following was very special and that he loved them.
[snip]
Last month the Pentagon released new guidelines on how to deal with extremism in the ranks, which they now realize is a growing problem. The Washington Post reported that the University of Maryland consortium "released a report last month showing that since 1990, 458 crimes tied to extremism involved veterans or active-duty U.S. troops." In fact, the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil before 9/11, the Oklahoma City bombing, was carried out by a military veteran who had been radicalized while on duty and later joined a far-right militia group.

The military really doesn't have any idea how widespread this problem is.
[snip]
The prospect of members of law enforcement agencies and the military breaking off into rogue commands seems like something out of a political thriller. And it's probably not very likely. But then the election of Donald Trump was unlikely as was the insurrection of January 6th. I would have thought it unlikely that police officers would defend a vicious mob beating other cops with flagpoles or that active duty military would boldly participate in it. We all should recognize by now that anything can happen.

:whatever:

Star Member Chainfire (7,030 posts)

1. More jocks than hippies gravitate towards jobs of power and authority.

It is a fact of life. It has always been, and is now, about the jocks vs the hippies.

If someone has no morals, no ethics, no skills and no education and no desire to work, they can become cops, soldiers or car salesmen.

Joinfortmill (4,558 posts)

2. Clean 'em out.

Star Member LonePirate (11,865 posts)

3. The right openly supports punishing or jailing or killing those with different views.

The authoritarian attitudes of the right are very seductive for members of the military and LEOs. I’m not sure there is a solution for this.

:thatsright:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Trump's troops: The far-right has a tight grip on too many in uniform
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 11:25:10 AM »
 :lmao:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 11:35:31 AM »
Never having heard of Heather Digby Parton, I checked to see if W'pedia had heard of her. I'm well aware of W'pedia's partisanship, but they tend to be a decent gauge of how influential someone is (they love on people they love and hate on people they hate). Anyway, Heather Digby Parton is a ProgBlogger whose education level is "some college" ... in (I kid you not) Theater. Her expertise, basically, is shooting her mouth off, much as is Nance Gregg's, plus or minus a wine or liquor bottle. IOW, she be a whale in DU's small pond.

Military folks' tendency to vote conservative or R goes back decades, long before Trump became Proggies' bogeyman.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 12:30:22 PM »
Military folks' tendency to vote conservative or R goes back decades, long before Trump became Proggies' bogeyman.
Well, yeah. Nobody wants to needlessly die in a shit hole somewhere just to accommodate the feelings of the commie hippies on the sofa back home.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Online enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 12:53:20 PM »
Star Member LonePirate (11,865 posts)

3. The right openly supports punishing or jailing or killing those with different views.

The authoritarian attitudes of the right are very seductive for members of the military and LEOs. I’m not sure there is a solution for this.

The trespassers and vandals sitting in the DC jails, as well as the people tracked down by social media, cell phone companies and banks for being in DC on 1/6 would like a word.

All the banned from Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, PayPal as well.

Might look through your own DUmp for numerous call for concentration camps, re-education, violence, ect against those who don't goosestep in YOUR line. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 02:21:56 PM »
Star Member Chainfire (7,030 posts)

1. More jocks than hippies gravitate towards jobs of power and authority.

It is a fact of life. It has always been, and is now, about the jocks vs the hippies.

that's because the hippies are too stoned and lazy to work towards anything, much less a position of power and authority.  They prefer to pass the bong around  and expect everything to be doled out to everyone equally with minimum to zero effort on their part.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 02:41:37 PM »
If someone has no morals, no ethics, no skills and no education and no desire to work, they can become cops, soldiers or car salesmen. become democrats
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 05:02:06 PM »
that's because the hippies are too stoned and lazy to work towards anything, much less a position of power and authority.  They prefer to pass the bong around  and expect everything to be doled out to everyone equally with minimum to zero effort on their part.

Sounds like far too many group projects I was compelled to be involved in, in my youth. :whatever:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline 3rd-try

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 10:54:55 PM »

What if Trump leads another insurrection?

A couple of lines down and the BS meter pegs the needle, the "Tilt" light flashes and it trips the circuit breaker.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 08:31:27 AM »
Sounds like far too many group projects I was compelled to be involved in, in my youth. :whatever:

When my daughter was much younger (we graduated her at age 16 so she could take as many JC classes as she wanted) she had to do a group project for her English Comp class. She didn't know to pick her group ahead of time, so she was in the nobody-picked-them group. She wasn't the only group member willing to do the work, but a majority were shirkers and dopers, who chose "Industrial Hemp" as the topic for the group project. As might be expected, the shirkers and dopers did zero work and were not there for presenting the project. My daughter and one or two others did the work of research and writing and did the presentation. They also got the grade, while the shirkers and dopers got the one-legged As they had earned.

ETA: Going way off-topic ... this daughter is the one who has passport stamp from three continents outside of the Americas. Pre-Covid, she had lived full-time in China for 5 years, was already fluent in Mandarin, and was the equivalent of a junior in a university there. Covid hit when she was here visiting for semester break and the Chinese New Year holiday, and she is still stuck here. She decided to complete her AA from that JC and started taking the remaining required classed. Among CA's (and probably most/all states) requirements for college graduation is a Foreign Language. No problem, right? She's high-school to college-level fluent in Mandarin, right? Problem. That JC and all the JCs in the Bay Area do not offer courses in Chinese! :mental: My daughter couldn't challenge the Chinese courses to fulfill the state requirement, because the courses don't exist to be challenged. Mandarin-speaking Chinese have been a proportionally large ethnic minority in Silicon Valley for decades. IIRC where Zathras lives, there are large plazas - modern, not old storefront strips - near his home that are entirely a mix of Mandarin, Korean, and either Vietnamese or Indian (or all of the above). Cantonese-speaking Chinese have been in the SF Bay Area and throughout California since the 1850s. :mental:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:50:27 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 09:48:19 AM »
What if Trump leads another insurrection?

You have to lead an insurrection first before you can lead another insurrection.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020