Author Topic: So, I'm going back to work (educator) tomorrow.  (Read 561 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
So, I'm going back to work (educator) tomorrow.
« on: January 10, 2022, 08:58:37 AM »
Coventina (23,067 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216230933

I strongly feel I should get hazard pay.
I actually feel less safe than when I went back in the fall.

Now I KNOW my students are not vaccinated, not quarantining when they are supposed to, frequently don't wear masks properly, etc. etc.

Yet we're supposed to just smile, put our lives at risk and thank everyone for the privilege.

Why do we treat educators in this country so poorly?

I don't blame the Chicago teachers for trying to force going back to virtual.

on edit: clarity

:whatever:

sarcasmo (21,409 posts)

1. Double mask, and you all deserve hazard pay.

cadoman (583 posts)

6. how do your coworkers feel? union?

Things will only change when we collectively come together to make it happen.I think if even 10% of the teachers refused to come in the district would be forced to adjust.

Star Member AwakeAtLast (13,725 posts)

7. I went back last Monday

Our infected numbers went up every day. Our nurse said we will be lucky to be in person two more weeks.

I see 450 students daily.

Jon King (1,753 posts)

8. Okay, whats your answer for parents who work?????

It is one thing to say remote learning. But if a teacher is relatively healthy, boosted, masked they have a better chance of getting killed in a car crash or 20 other ways than Covid.

So what is your answer to the issue? Close schools, parents can not work, the entire supply chain comes crashing down, we enter an economic depression????

Think big picture, the longer this goes on where we do not just tough it out and get through this wave the greater chance right wingers take the House, the greater chance Manchin says no to everything including voting rights, the weaker Biden gets. So yeah, we better start getting things back to normal, reasonable risks and all, to at least try to help Biden regain some poll numbers.

Seriously, enough is enough with this. Kids are better off in school and teachers who are boosted and masked are not at great risk. Geez folks, at some point we have to run the dang country and live with Covid. Yes this wave will put some strain on about 20% of hospitals in low vaxxed areas, but it will pass fast.

We believe in science right? The science says if you are boosted and masked, you will likely have zero symptoms or mild symptoms. It is what it is, Covid in some variant will be around forever.

:popcorn:

Star Member NJCher (28,366 posts)

10. The answer

Is a decent childcare system. However, this answer is unrealistic right now because we are so deficient in human support systems.

Normally I agree with you on most of your posts. However on this one you make claims that should at least have an url.

Does anyone remember the teacher who was overheard or taped saying about parents that they miss their babysitting system? She got a lot of flack for saying that and may have even been placed on administrative leave. It is, however, true.

I am a teacher but fortunate to have outdoor classes. I see exactly what coventina is saying and she is right. I would be having the same issues if I had to teach all day inside.

Star Member BigmanPigman (44,235 posts)

13. Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said for years we teachers were payed babysitters and I did the math. If I charged per hour per student at a baby sitter's salary I would have made twice as much money. Really! We teachers broke it down and we knew the truth. We teachers are treated as nothing more than babysitters and are paid a lot less. Teachers work 50-60 hour weeks, get sick all the time, and have enormous work loads. The stress is enormous and that is why teachers are quitting in larger numbers now.

Star Member Scrivener7 (39,995 posts)

15. 68 of my colleagues died in my school system in the first days of the first spike.

Including some good friends. After 68, they stopped publishing the number. I would guess it was in the many hundreds.

The hospitalization numbers today in my state are higher than in the first spike. I understand this is less virulent, but the sheer numbers of infected people mean the deaths will still be high.

You are requiring teachers to be cannon fodder so you have baby sitters.

They should not have to die for your childcare issues. Yes, I understand the problem is difficult for working parents. Someone else dying is not in the answer.

And PS: numbers of children in ICUs are climbing geometrically. I am guessing that when numbers of them begin to die - and they will - you will find some other solution to your childcare issue.

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

12. As an elementary school teacher I agree whole heartedly!

This SUCKS!!!!!!!! When I was teaching I was sick 90% of the school year and that was with a flu shot and hand sanitizer on every kid's desk. Teachers are nothing of value as far as districts are concerned. I was so sick from a moldy building that I has to sit up in bed to sleep since I was coughing up so much. I got every weirdo illness possible (almost died from loss of blood due to pneumonia, mono at the age of 44 years old, etc). Even with a new classroom that had windows which I could open we were all getting colds throughout the year. I was told that this is normal and I would build immunity. That never happened after 15+ hears and it forced me to retire early. The school district did NOTHING when I complained and it took an entire class to get sick from the mold for the disrict to finally step up and I had to go to the teachers union for any help at all. The union saved my life, literally. They got health officials into the building and it was condemned and destroyed. It basically all come down to one thing...MONEY!!! Disricts don't give a shit about teachers and rarely about the kids (I am honest). When the kids' parents were pissed off it helped to a degree. They do listen to parents (also a $$$ issue since districts are paid per kid, per day from the state). If a kid is sick, the district loses $$$ from the state. Greedy bastards!

:mental:

Star Member XanaDUer2 (3,781 posts)

17. Public librarians, too

No mask mandate in this county, and library staff are expected to be THISCLOSE to patrons when you help them. Admin doesn't give a shit

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: So, I'm going back to work (educator) tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 09:14:48 AM »
Coventina (23,067 posts)

I actually feel less safe than when I went back in the fall.

Now I KNOW my students are not vaccinated (The same is true for my preschool teacher daughter), not quarantining when they are supposed to (The same is true for my preschool teacher daughter), frequently don't wear masks properly (The same is true for my preschool teacher daughter), etc. (The same is true for my preschool teacher daughter) etc. (The same is true for my preschool teacher daughter)

My preschool teacher daughter went back to work in summer 2020, no "hazard pay", no whiny-lazy whinging. She worked for a nation-wide company, not a corner-cutting one-off preschool.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 10:24:02 AM »
sarcasmo (21,409 posts)

1. Double mask, and you all deserve hazard pay

Triple mask just to be absolutely sure.  ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 10:25:38 AM »

12. As an elementary school teacher I agree whole heartedly!

Thought this idiot was an overweight yard truck driver who had an ASSoicates in Business and thought he could run the company better than the owners?  :popcorn:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 10:29:46 AM »
Jon King (1,753 posts)

8. Okay, whats your answer for parents who work?????

OK, we now have it in black and white.  School's main purpose is day care. 
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 01:33:01 PM »
Thought this idiot was an overweight yard truck driver who had an ASSoicates in Business and thought he could run the company better than the owners?  :popcorn:

You're thinking about Toobin.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 01:58:47 PM »

Or better yet how about a plastic dry cleaner bag covering your entire head tied off at the neck? It'll be airtight so no Covid germs can get to the DUmbass.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 02:08:31 PM »
Coventina (23,067 posts)

hazard pay for getting what amounts to a minor cold or case of the flu if you are vaccinated and boosted?

Or are you saying you have no faith in the vaccine?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 02:31:59 PM »
no, this asshole is a community college art history teacher as well as a dummy.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1428852

"mentally disturbed and not friendly".

:rotf:

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 03:02:01 PM »
This creature managed to go through at least 4 years of higher level education and somehow believes it's entitled to hazard pay because nowhere along the way did it realize that kids are dirty and can carry diseases. Wow.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 03:26:24 PM »
This creature managed to go through at least 4 years of higher level education and somehow believes it's entitled to hazard pay because nowhere along the way did it realize that kids are dirty and can carry diseases. Wow.
look at the post above yours.  The DUmmy is an "educator" (from the ratings on the linked page, not a good educator)  at a community college, not a school with little germ ridden kids.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 03:41:53 PM »
no, this asshole is a community college art history teacher as well as a dummy.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1428852

"mentally disturbed and not friendly".

:rotf:

Ahh. I stand corrected. Tough to keep the deranged DUmmies straight these days.

Thanks Tess!
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 04:00:53 PM »

How about instead, duct tape around your entire nose and mouth.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 05:09:39 PM »
look at the post above yours.  The DUmmy is an "educator" (from the ratings on the linked page, not a good educator)  at a community college, not a school with little germ ridden kids.
Meh...still applies( just funnier now)
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 06:38:42 PM »
Wanna know why all of you are back to work, and not have zoom based classrooms anymore ? The answer is political, but not what you think. Covid has caused  a massive number of women to leave their jobs. The last thing Biden needs is to add yet another failure to the crapass job he has done so far. - And I feel his own would eat him alive if his women in the workforce numbers are below Trump’s.