Author Topic: Former US Attorney: Garland Critics Are 'Silly'  (Read 298 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Former US Attorney: Garland Critics Are 'Silly'
« on: January 06, 2022, 07:57:23 AM »
Star Member babylonsister (168,606 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216217423

Former US Attorney: Garland Critics Are 'Silly'
https://crooksandliars.com/2022/01/chuck-rosenberg-merrick-garland-doj

Chuck Rosenberg, who should know, praised Garland and the DOJ as working "rather rapidly" in the investigation into the insurrection.
By Aliza Worthington — January 5, 2022

snip//

"Well, I actually think, Hallie, they're moving rather rapidly," said Rosenberg. "I think criticism that they're not moving quickly enough is silly."

He elaborated, "I mean they've charged 725 people in under a year. As I mentioned before, they have 300,000 tips to work through and 15 terabytes of data. Also, we don't know what they're doing behind the scenes."

Then he explained why Garland is proceeding exactly as he should be. "Because he's saying, 'We're on it. We're working. Be patient. Justice takes time.' The worst thing you could do, Hallie, is rush to charge somebody. You have to charge when you have the requisite facts and the law supports the charge, when you could bring a case in court, and you can win it, and sustain it on appeal. And that takes time."

If Chuck Rosenberg called me "silly" I'd be embarrassed and ashamed. He is the calmest, sanest, and easily one of the most knowledgable people on the planet when it comes to prosecuting cases in this nation. He headed the Drug Enforcement Agency, spent years as a U.S. Attorney, was a top official in the FBI, and was chief of staff to a Deputy Attorney General of the United States.

If Chuck Rosenberg tells me to calm the f*ck down, I'm gonna calm the f*ck down.

This is your reminder that Merrick Garland’s investigation of Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols and the Unabomber had zero leaks before indictments,100% convictions and no turnovers on appeal. Sometimes you have to have a little faith in the process. Happy Wednesday.

— 𝐁𝐞𝐤𝐬 (@antifaoperative) January 5, 2022

:yawn:

Star Member Sherman A1 (36,053 posts)

1. My concern is not the speed of the investigation

It is the (in my opinion) very light sentences being handed out often at the suggestion of the DOJ prosecutors.

Seems like an attempt to overthrow the government and constitutional process gets one about 20 minutes in jail if that.

Emile (183 posts)

3. Seeing how we watched TFG on live TV orchestrating the traitorous

insurrection to overturn our democracy one year ago, justice is moving pretty slow.

:whatever:

Star Member Laura PourMeADrink (37,383 posts)

35. Need to find that quote from one of those people from the capital police who testified

At the beginning. He thought it was urgently important to find the head of the mob who orchestrated this travesty! That's who I'm listening to. The brave people who were left short-manned, left to bleed, through no fault of their own

:???:

jaxexpat (2,687 posts)

4. If I remember correctly, "Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols and the Unabomber"......

were in custody by this point in those investigations. I'll believe there's nothing to get excited about regarding the justice department when I see MTG and Gym Jordan in jail. And that ain't happening, obviously. Delay is defeat.

Screw people who recommend patience when offering unequivocal examples to justify their advice. It smells of dishonesty because it is just plain dishonest. The fear of reality and the stench of Trump seems to have numbed the brains of people in high office, especially if they think their little pep talks somehow assuage the concerns of rational people.

liberalgunwilltravel (156 posts)

6. Only by luck

McVeigh was in custody only because he was arrested on a firearms charge in a routine traffic stop. While he was in custody and before he could make bail, a police sketch made him as a person of interest in the bombing. Nichols was detained as a material witness because of that. So, your example is not particularly relevant. That's not to say that a lot more people shouldn't already be in jail, but I want to see the charges stick and stick hard.

Star Member Scrivener7 (39,914 posts)

8. I'll believe it when I see it. So far, I don't see it.

People are all over the speech.

He said he's going to go where the evidence leads.

What else did everyone think he was going to say?

I liked the bit about voting rights, but there was nothing he said about the investigations that we couldn't have predicted before the speech.

And as for whether he will actually get the people who planned and executed an attempted coup?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Star Member gab13by13 (6,584 posts)

9. What is missed in this post,

is that there are 2 main events, 2 main crimes committed.

1. The attack on the Capitol, which Garland addressed yesterday. he explained in detail his plan to investigate anyone and everyone who was involved in the physical attack on the Capitol and who was involved in planning and funding the attack on the Capitol. He did not address crime #2, the much more important crime.

2. The attack on our democracy, the attempt to overthrow our election, the attempt to change votes, all of which was planned immediately after the election and it continues today. The written documents that laid out the process to not transfer power to Joe Biden, which involved members of Trump's cabinet, which involved Congressmen. Is Garland willing to investigate Congressmen who gave Capitol tours to people who invaded the Capitol or will that look partisan?

What scared me was Garland's statement about his not being a partisan AG, and that is a given. It scares me that he had to even bring that up. It makes me wonder if Garland will investigate a former president, or will that make him look like he is being partisan? I wonder if Garland will investigate members of Trump's cabinet, will investigate Congressmen if that's where the facts lead?

Maybe a tell will be the criminal referral for Mark Meadows? Today is day 22 since he got the referral. Is Garland willing to indict a member of Trump's cabinet, even if it is just for ignoring a subpoena?

There is no indication that Garland has been investigating crime #2. The evidence is out there plain as day. The call to Raffensperger, the several written documents that describe how to do a coup. The information about Jeffrey Clarke getting election officials to change votes in states to show that trump won. John Eastman's document.
Let me quote what Dan Goldman said last night. He said he doesn't know if Garland is investigating crime #2, but he hopes he is. he said if Garland were delaying investigating crime #2 it is not a good idea because people's memories change, evidence gets destroyed, people get their stories to align. Merrick Garland is doing a fantastic job on crime #1, the jury is still out on crime #2.

I'm waiting on the Meadow's referral. If Garland indicts Meadows I will feel a lot better.

Deminpenn (13,217 posts)

20. Yesterday on Deadline:WH

one of the guests, a reporter iirc, said Garland was viewed inside DoJ as a "small c" conservative. Because of this, the inside DoJ employees weren't sure Garland would act on the criminal referral for Bannon.

Maybe don't be surprised if Meadows, a much more powerful WH insider, isn't indicted.

jaxexpat (2,687 posts)

26. The impediment to this is that there are no Democrats to equalize the prosecution.

Trump and all his minions would already be in orange suits if Obama and other prominent Democrats would just take one for the team. The bothsiderism maw MUST be fed or it's not gonna be "fair". Come on Nancy, you're already oldish, do the right thing. You could rest in prison. I can't believe our elected leaders, who send men to their deaths in the name of national security, can't see the simple logic that necessitates their ultimate sacrifice.

Could this be an indication, a clue if you will, of some essential flaw which propels the nation toward totalitarianism?

A hint, there's some  hidden in the preceding.

18. Crime #2 has only grown stronger since the election.

Fraudits were not stopped, the intimidation and threats to election officials and school board members have not stopped, states continue passing voter discrimination, voter suppression laws. Steve Bannon has been the only person indicted involved in crime #2 and every day he is on his pod cast pushing the Big Lie.

OldBaldy1701E (1,902 posts)

13. Justice should not 'take time'.

There is no metaphysical energy keeping the DOJ from at least putting some of the instigators in jail. Not the grunts, they are being dealt with, if very gently. I mean those who stood on that platform demanding action. Those sitting members of Congress who actively participated in this attempt. But, here we sit while they continue to do what they want. I am betting that 'being patient' and 'justice takes time' was never an issue with most Americans when 'justice' decided to go after them. If my non-rich ass committed a crime anywhere near the severity of what happened on Jan.6th of last year, I am pretty certain that I would not be treated with such kid gloves. Why delay now? Justice delayed is justice denied. But, we shall see... won't we?

22. If a Republican wins the presidency in 2024

will he/she pardon everyone? Oh that would never happen, that would be a partisan act.

Mr. Sparkle (2,183 posts)

28. Well, one year on and the ring leaders are still running around scot-free

If somehow us Dems did this, do you think our leadership would have had the same indifference? i dont think so.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Former US Attorney: Garland Critics Are 'Silly'
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 08:57:39 AM »
Emile (183 posts)

3. Seeing how we watched TFG on live TV orchestrating the traitorous

insurrection to overturn our democracy one year ago, justice is moving pretty slow.

can you provide links to videos of these TV appearances? 

The only one I can find is where President Trump told people to march down the the Capitol building and peacefully make their voices heard.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 09:13:25 AM »
He elaborated, "I mean they've charged 725 people in under a year. As I mentioned before, they have 300,000 tips to work through and 15 terabytes of data. Also, we don't know what they're doing behind the scenes."

There's also thousands of hours of video that they won't release for some reason.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 12:57:10 PM »
Star Member Sherman A1 (36,053 posts)

1. My concern is not the speed of the investigation

It is the (in my opinion) very light sentences being handed out often at the suggestion of the DOJ prosecutors.

Seems like an attempt to overthrow the government and constitutional process  (  :jerkit: ) gets one about 20 minutes in jail if that.
How long have some of the people in custody (in jail) now have yet to have a hearing on what they did on 1/6?
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 01:07:26 PM »
I wonder if anyone has checked to see if critics of former AG's Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr were deemed "silly" by the esteemed leftists.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 02:50:58 PM »
How many business hours does it take to play 30-Dimensional Chess?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.